Fuji x100

Colin, believe it or not i would buy from them again. Although the above may seem a tale of woe, despite the number of cameras sent back fore, there were only 2 faults, and both faults were fixed in a week (ish...). One of those faults was a known fault on the x100 (sticky aperture blade) and the second was possibly my fault, but was fixed without quibble (but did need to be returned a second time....).

if either of these faults occurred with a grey import im not sure how long it would take to get fixed, but id be surprised if it was as quick as you could get from fuji uk.

I'm not so sure if Fuji UK wouldn't handle it anyway even with a grey import. Has anybody had any experience with this?

If you have a receipt with a UK address on then I think they will and most of the import companies have a UK address of some sort.

I rang them today and they said if I have a receipt then they'll fix it. Don't know how accurate that is but that's what they said.

You need a UK VAT receipt or they wouldnt touch it. Grey import companies dont provide UK VAT receipt.

You need a UK VAT receipt or they wouldnt touch it. Grey import companies dont provide UK VAT receipt.

Ah right.

I know some importers use authorized UK agents for repairs so no different to sending to Fuji. It still gets fixed.

I know some importers use authorized UK agents for repairs so no different to sending to Fuji. It still gets fixed.

I assume they will fix them in the UK after the warranty period at a normal cost?

Then youre on your own like all cameras out of warranty (UK or grey), you just pay a camera shop to do the repair.

I definitely recommend checking your local John Lewis on their Clearance shelf - that's where I got my X100 last week.

Then youre on your own like all cameras out of warranty (UK or grey), you just pay a camera shop to do the repair.

Or send it to Fuji UK.

9328704623_0fb8b1a4d0_b.jpg

9328655905_1d4ea8b92d_b.jpg

Liking #2. Shame about the litter and background on the first.

Fuji have just replaced my faulty referbished X20. As far as I can tell it is brand new with just a referb sticker on the box. Just got to get used the the new controls compared to my x10. But they seem to make more sense.

I've joined the X100s club. Ended up with a full price UK model for complete peace of mind.

Great camera with much easier operarion. Low light is much improved.

Just got to sell my X100 now :) It will soon be in the forum if anybody is looking for one soon.

Well i just picked up a Fugi x100 last week,lots of things to learn regarding settings/shooting..not used it in anger yet,just odd snaps around house and local streets,lots to get used to after Canon dslrs for years.I mainly got it after reading great reviews and am now needing to travel lighter after a bit of ill health.
My main enjoyment is street/people work and wondered if you guys would share a few tips on camera settings/shooting ;) any help much appreciated as i want to get the best from this beast :)

Do you use 3rd party battery for your Fuji x100? If yes what brands can you suggest or recommend? Thanks

Do you use 3rd party battery for your Fuji x100? If yes what brands can you suggest or recommend? Thanks

I use these. They've been perfect. eBay item number 221252754976

I bought Colin's X100 :D Had it for a couple of weeks and it's a very steep learning curve! Thankfully the forums are full of tips on how to tame this beast. I have to say I've struggled with the auto focus at times but it can be a very rewarding camera. Perhaps I've been spoiled by the lightening AF on my G3 and EPM1. Despite the niggles I just want to keep using it.

A couple of these shots have more noise than they should. I had DR set to auto with the intention of not using the RAW files. So some were very underexposed when importing into Lightroom. You live and learn.

As a stay at home Dad, this is pretty much all I get to photograph :D

i-zdJK8KR-XL.jpg

i-gtdF2Cr-XL.jpg

i-BVBbJb9-XL.jpg

i-q5nW7kp-XL.jpg

i-ZM7S4DH-XL.jpg

i-9KWffKR-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I bought Colin's X100 :D Had it for a couple of weeks and it's a very steep learning curve! Thankfully the forums are full of tips on how to tame this beast. I have to say I've struggled with the auto focus at times but it can be a very rewarding camera. Perhaps I've been spoiled by the lightening AF on my G3 and EPM1. Despite the niggles I just want to keep using it.

A couple of these shots have more noise than they should. I had DR set to auto with the intention of not using the RAW files. So some were very underexposed when importing into Lightroom. You live and learn.

As a stay at home Dad, this is pretty much all I get to photograph :D

Cracking photos, the x100 does produce some great files. The Fuji JPEG are great too.

Riz :)

Thanks Riz. I've been playing with both the in camera JPEGs and RAF files in Lightroom. I love the in camera processing you can do after you've taken a shot. Very neat.

Cracking photos, the x100 does produce some great files. The Fuji JPEG are great too.

Riz :)

Still finding the auto focus infuriating at times but I just love using this camera.

I had the rather rude sounding Sticky Pulled Pork sandwich for lunch at this place.

i-Hd5s5x3-XL.jpg

i-JDksfMv-XL.jpg

i-sPhhnPj-XL.jpg

i-9tFV7mq-XL.jpg

i-fkSMQwv-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I think it was an instant classic.the amount of people willing to work around its problems speaks volumes

I've been photographing for 5 months or so with a Panasonic GF1, and I'm totally in love with creating stuff I like (and other people like, of course). I have a kit lens, and then I bought a prime, and a manual focus prime, and a manual focus tele zoom, and then I was pricing M4/3 zooms and then . . . I realised I had GAS, and it's getting in the way of learning how to see/compose/shoot.

I love the idea of the x100s. I've read this entire thread, and the enthusiasm for the camera is infectious. It certainly ticks the boxes for me - one high quality lens, high quality sensor, small package, basically something that will get out of my way as I learn. The final spur came on Friday, when I was trying to shoot in bright, low sunlight with my GF1 and I couldn't see anything at all on the LCD and would have killed for a good quality viewfinder.

So, I've gone from trying to convince myself to not buy an x100s, to trying to convince myself to buy one. Two things are holding me back
1) the price, of course. There are a LOT of different options for spending £900+ on camera gear, and I'm not sure if I'm being blinded by how gorgeous it looks and how much people obviously love it (here, and people like Ken Rockwell and Zack Arias) into not considering other options.
2) the same thing everybody else in this forum has had a doubt with - a fixed focal length. I've been deliberately shooting at 17mm on my M4/3 to see how I'd get on, and I like that length a lot. On the other hand, I still zoomed to 45mm a few times (with no way of getting closer to my target - different sides of the valley).

So, I guess the point of this ramble is I need reassurance. Am I missing an alternative that looks as good, takes photos that look as good, is as small and carryable, has a viewfinder, but is cheaper? (Apart from the X100, I guess!) And even taking as a given that I'll learn to deal with the fixed FL (and hopefully that will help me learn to see/compose as it has many people in this thread) does the x100s at least take images that will stand to being cropped heavily, as a substitute for zoom?

Thanks in advance.

Price, that was the issue that held me back from buying x100 when it was first released and x100s. But a second hand x100 only costs £400 now, that's less than the price of a L lens!

Fixed focal length, I too was doubtful about it. But at the same time 35mm f2 on my full frame was also my favourite focal length, so I stuck to this lens for a week and was able to get most of my shots I wanted, only downside was the weight of 5D, that was the moment when I realised don't have to carry around a bag full of camera gear.

If you only zoom to 45mm, 35mm is not much difference, just crop the image ever so slightly and you'll get the same thing. The files are sharp enough for that.

Rest of the times, part of photography is to accept you can't capture every single moment. But a 35mm is close enough to capture 90% so it's good enough for every day documentry style photos.

I've been photographing for 5 months or so with a Panasonic GF1, and I'm totally in love with creating stuff I like (and other people like, of course). I have a kit lens, and then I bought a prime, and a manual focus prime, and a manual focus tele zoom, and then I was pricing M4/3 zooms and then . . . I realised I had GAS, and it's getting in the way of learning how to see/compose/shoot.

I love the idea of the x100s. I've read this entire thread, and the enthusiasm for the camera is infectious. It certainly ticks the boxes for me - one high quality lens, high quality sensor, small package, basically something that will get out of my way as I learn. The final spur came on Friday, when I was trying to shoot in bright, low sunlight with my GF1 and I couldn't see anything at all on the LCD and would have killed for a good quality viewfinder.

So, I've gone from trying to convince myself to not buy an x100s, to trying to convince myself to buy one. Two things are holding me back
1) the price, of course. There are a LOT of different options for spending £900+ on camera gear, and I'm not sure if I'm being blinded by how gorgeous it looks and how much people obviously love it (here, and people like Ken Rockwell and Zack Arias) into not considering other options.
2) the same thing everybody else in this forum has had a doubt with - a fixed focal length. I've been deliberately shooting at 17mm on my M4/3 to see how I'd get on, and I like that length a lot. On the other hand, I still zoomed to 45mm a few times (with no way of getting closer to my target - different sides of the valley).

So, I guess the point of this ramble is I need reassurance. Am I missing an alternative that looks as good, takes photos that look as good, is as small and carryable, has a viewfinder, but is cheaper? (Apart from the X100, I guess!) And even taking as a given that I'll learn to deal with the fixed FL (and hopefully that will help me learn to see/compose as it has many people in this thread) does the x100s at least take images that will stand to being cropped heavily, as a substitute for zoom?

Thanks in advance.

35mm (or an equivalent field of view) like the x100(s) has always been a standard focal length for pretty much as long as there has been photography. Its a fantastic focal length and, atleast I find, not limiting. You do tend to think in terms of that focal length though(if that makes sense)

As with any camera, cropping is pretty much the fastest way to destroy image quality. Its one thing to correct verticals and have a quick straighten, but another to use in in place of a zoom function. Don't do it.

I think the x100 and the s are brilliant cameras. Buy one ;)

Not sure if I can help really as I always have GAS! But after starting out in photography eight months ago I'm now trying to streamline my gear now I know what I want.

My wife has a GF1 with the f1.7 20mm lens. That combination is still dynamite in my opinion. An amazing lens. If you have some decent prime m43 lenses I would think very carefully before selling it all. Keep the lenses and you can always get a new body. If indeed that is a part of your plan. The LCD is definitely a pain in bright sunshine as you mention. As well as my X100 I have a Panasonic G3 and Olympus EPM1. I may now sell the G3 and keep the tiny pocketable Oly with my Sigma 30mm and Panasonic 14mm lenses and nick my wife's 20mm :D Maybe add an EVF and that Oly is a great little m43 camera. I think with the GF1 the EVF options are limited to the earlier and poor EVF.

If you're a bit tight for money why not keep your m43 gear and get a second hand X100? You can get one for £350-400.

That probably hasn't helped :D

Thanks in advance.

Thanks all! It has been a help, although not a help to make a decision yet :D

Having slept on it, and read a bunch of comparisons, I think I'm down to two choices - 2nd hand x100 at £400 or a new/refurb x100s at £900+.

The comparisons seem to say the same sort of things - IQ is excellent on both, but the x100s is much nicer to use - better buttons, better menus, better AF, better MF. All my instincts are telling me to get the x100s, even though that is a LOT extra money, because otherwise I may always have that nagging "I wish" feeling. On the other hand, my wallet is saying "the x100 will be FINE". Part of the problem is that I have no yardstick - when people say the x100s focuses faster than the x100, I still don't know how either compare to my GF1, which seems to AF fine to me for what I use it for. All I know is that either of the Fujis will have a really nice VF and much better high-ISO performance than my GF1 (which I find horrible at 800 ISO) and that I LOVE the look of them both.

Do you have the 20mm Panny? Focussing speed with that lens on a GF1 is very similar to the X100. The x100 is a tiny bit faster.

Thanks all! It has been a help, although not a help to make a decision yet :D

Having slept on it, and read a bunch of comparisons, I think I'm down to two choices - 2nd hand x100 at £400 or a new/refurb x100s at £900+.

The comparisons seem to say the same sort of things - IQ is excellent on both, but the x100s is much nicer to use - better buttons, better menus, better AF, better MF. All my instincts are telling me to get the x100s, even though that is a LOT extra money, because otherwise I may always have that nagging "I wish" feeling. On the other hand, my wallet is saying "the x100 will be FINE". Part of the problem is that I have no yardstick - when people say the x100s focuses faster than the x100, I still don't know how either compare to my GF1, which seems to AF fine to me for what I use it for. All I know is that either of the Fujis will have a really nice VF and much better high-ISO performance than my GF1 (which I find horrible at 800 ISO) and that I LOVE the look of them both.

No, I have the 30mm Sigma (and the 14-45 kit). If what I've heard about the 20mm is right, then I'm guessing the x100 AFs faster than my current setup anyway. Thanks! That's a great help.

(I've had to keep reminding myself that a large proportion of people reviewing their x100 have been coming "down" from a dSLR, not from a m4/3 like me)

Definitely. I've found the focussing on the X100 to be less robust in general than my m43 gear. Well, it requires more care and attention in some situations, put it that way :D

Similar speed but the X100 is less accurate in lower light.

Last edited:
No, I have the 30mm Sigma (and the 14-45 kit). If what I've heard about the 20mm is right, then I'm guessing the x100 AFs faster than my current setup anyway. Thanks! That's a great help.

(I've had to keep reminding myself that a large proportion of people reviewing their x100 have been coming "down" from a dSLR, not from a m4/3 like me)
I've arrived at an x100 as my second system (even tho its not a system camera, it cost as much as one plus lenses!), having gone thru all the MFT you've mentioned. The 20mm is lovely and one of the most compelling reasons to use MFT gear, but it is not a fast focusing lens, I'd say the x100 is slightly quicker. The comments about focus accuracy with the x100 are correct, but I've only ever had a problem in low light and with a close subject. Just my 2p, I spent a long time thinking that the MFT system was perfect for me, but I got bored of the bodies being superceded every 9 months or so.

Might go back to it once the body technology starts to level off, but the x100 has been a real eye opener, to the point where I splashed on a black special edition because it feels for the first time like I've got a camera I want to keep for a LONG time. The cost/benefit ratio of the x100s didn't seem worth it to me.

Oh and it's been said before, but the hybrid viewfinder is a thing of witchcraft and loveliness! :)

Just to give my opinion on it. I have an Olympus OM-D with some good lenses, 20mm, 25mm 1.4, 45mm 1.8 and the cheap zooms 12-50mm kit and 40-150mm. I also have the x100s and X20 after owning the X100 and X10.

I had all the same questions before I bought my X100. It was expensive, limited in use and was competing at the time with my 5DII.

I decided to upgrade to the X100s recently because the X100 was the best camera (my favourite at least) that I have ever owned, and I've had quite a lot in the last 2-3 years due to GAS :)

If I had to get rid of all my cameras/systems but one, I would keep the X100s as my only camera, even rather than my OM-D with 5 lenses.

Yes its limited due to the fixed lens but I like that. Its made me think more about shots and has made me a better photographer.

Its the camera I take most places. The OM-D and the X20 are also fantastic and I 'love' them but I am 'in love' with my X100s :)

I can completely understand if people feel too restricted by the fixed lens with all the other options available today, but not me.

Last edited:
Just to give my opinion on it. I have an Olympus OM-D with some good lenses, 20mm, 25mm 1.4, 45mm 1.8 and the cheap zooms 12-50mm kit and 40-150mm. I also have the x100s and X20 after owning the X100 and X10.

I had all the same questions before I bought my X100. It was expensive, limited in use and was competing at the time with my 5DII.

I decided to upgrade to the X100s recently because the X100 was the best camera (my favourite at least) that I have ever owned, and I've had quite a lot in the last 2-3 years due to GAS :)

If I had to get rid of all my cameras/systems but one, I would keep the X100s as my only camera, even rather than my OM-D with 5 lenses.

Yes its limited due to the fixed lens but I like that. Its made me think more about shots and has made me a better photographer.

Its the camera I take most places. The OM-D and the X20 are also fantastic and I 'love' them but I am 'in love' with my X100s :)

I can completely understand if people feel too restricted by the fixed lens with all the other options available today, but not me.

Sums it up perfectly for me, wife currently shoots with an E-P5 and 4-5 lenses, we have an X20 too but the X100S (upgraded from X100) is just something special and it's all I ever reach for.

If you can afford it then get the X100S over the X100, the AF and overall speed enhancements make a big difference and the manual focus improvements are nice too.

Last edited:
I agree. Creativity comes from being restricted. Many get a m43 camera and never remove the 20mm Panny lens.

Back