Fuji x100

Yep, I use the X100 as my main camera. Its certainly not for everyone in terms of the fixed focal length but when I had a DSLR I only ever used a 35mm on it, of course every now and then I miss a wider angle option (cant justify buying the adapter). Its very much a people camera and if you shoot wildlife or landscapes I wouldnt recommend it at all. I find its made me more creative though by moving around and getting different angles as opposed to just zooming in or out a bit which is all too easy with a zoom lens.

I would be using it for some landscapes, mostly walkaround, how good is the macro mode out of interest?

I would be using it for some landscapes, mostly walkaround, how good is the macro mode out of interest?

Well its not comparable to a DSLR macro lens, you can get fairly close though. Im not a massive macro fan but it seems acceptable to me, the only issue being you have to go into macro mode to focus on anything remotely close to the lens, thats what ive found anyway, some people seem to disagree in reviews (see: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/...x100-and-how-i-get-around-them-by-steve-huff/)
In regards to my previous comment about landscapes, its probably perfectly capable for landscapes and its more user error on my behalf! :p

What's the biggest difference that you notice between the X100 and the 'S' Dave?
The main thing i noticed Dave is the speed of everything you do on it, it responds quicker through the menu's, focus is quicker and more accurate i feel so far after a couple of days just messing about that its like a different camera, it just works..have'nt used it out there in anger yet though :LOL:..i think you'll notice the difference straight away, also the jpgs are so good sooc that i'm maybe gonna start shooting jpgs only,as you can fine tune the colours etc as you want ..

Did you all know that you can use a third party flash on the x100s..i have just been experimenting with the Canon 580 and it works but the flash is bigger than the camera so maybe a no-no :nono:looks a bit daft :LOL:

Did you all know that you can use a third party flash on the x100s..i have just been experimenting with the Canon 580 and it works but the flash is bigger than the camera so maybe a no-no :nono:looks a bit daft :LOL:

Canon ETTL cords also work with it supposedly, which provides a nice easy off camera flash solution using a smaller flash for just fill flash lighting.

First time out today with the 'S'..got this little beauty,what a clever little camera this is..:D

p1920466820-5.jpg

Beautiful city shot.
Heres one I took with my X100s while in France a couple of months ago. I love the way this camera deals with being pointed into the sun.

This is The Vimy Canadian Memorial, built in 1936 dedicated to Canadians who fought and gave their lives in the First World War. Its very impressive and well worth a visit . You can see some of the 11000 names engraved in the stone.

Allan

Hi, I really like your autmn shot Dave great stuff.(y)

Thought it was time I got some fresh air again. Seeing as the sun was shining I made sure to get it in the frame too. Shame about the leaf top right.

Thaxted Windmill by neverdaz, on Flickr

Last edited:
Stupidly hot today for October! :)

i-NwJ5Sh6-XL.jpg

i-k8xkGP3-XL.jpg

i-gwf4xXq-XL.jpg

i-xp8jKfc-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I'm quite new to the X100 guys n' gals, don't own one as yet. What does the 's' version do that the X100 doesn't can I ask please ??

What kind of money would a clean X100 fetch second hand ?

Thanks;
Peter

I think it would be a very long post to list all the improvements lets just say it is a lot better in all respects.
You would probably do better reading dpreview.com and comparing the two. The X100 is a fantastic camera with a few niggles. The 's has addressed these.
I expect a good used X100 to be worth about £350 or so
Allan

Last edited:
I've been using mine quite a lot for weddings of late. The more I use it the more I like it and it works well in that environment. So much so I've left a D800 in the bag and used this, plus one D800 instead of my normal two D800s.

x100s%20examples-1001.jpg

x100s%20examples-1002.jpg

x100s%20examples-1006.jpg

Lovely shots there Hugh. Having just ordered mine, I was wondering if you or anyone can recommend any 3rd party batteries? Are they worth it? Obviously, you can buy several for the price of one genuine Fuji one.

I've had mixed results in the past with 3rd party D700 batteries in that they just didn't last as long. Initially they seem to be fine but soon tend to hold less charge while my Nikon one can still carry out a full day's work

Lovely shots there Hugh. Having just ordered mine, I was wondering if you or anyone can recommend any 3rd party batteries? Are they worth it? Obviously, you can buy several for the price of one genuine Fuji one. I've had mixed results in the past with 3rd party D700 batteries in that they just didn't last as long. Initially they seem to be fine but soon tend to hold less charge while my Nikon one can still carry out a full day's work

Look on eBay for inov8

They work well for me.

I use Inov8 batteries too, well worth having, but I got mine off Amazon
Allan

\To be a little different I use the Energizer ones. I know alot of people speak very highly of the maximal ones

Yes the Maximal ones are very decent. They seem much better than other cheaply priced batteries I've tried in other cameras.

\To be a little different I use the Energizer ones. I know alot of people speak very highly of the maximal ones

Hi, After reading this thread I've finally decided to pull the trigger on an X100s from my local camera store. Part X-ing a D200 + Grip (with less than 1,000 shutter clicks) it's gotta go as I just don't use it.

Hope to collect the X100s by the end of the week.

Sure hope it's as good as you guys say it is.:)

I'm sure you won't be disappointed, I sold my D300 to buy an X100 then upgraded to an X100s. Brilliant camera if you like a fixed lens. It makes you think a bit more about composition and is so much lighter and smaller, you will find you carry it around everywhere.
Allan

Hi, Thanks for that Allan I'm quite familiar with the Fuji X cameras with already having an X20 & X-E1 but I also want a fixed lens camera that can match them for image quality. I had considered getting the new 23mm lens for my X-E1 until I saw the price of it and thought I might just as well get an X100s for very little more and has a lens that is only a stop slower and the rear lens cap is another camera. Makes sense to me.

George.

Sounds like you have some nice cameras already. I also have an X20. Good thing about the X100s is that the images are so good, you can crop a corner down to 100% and still have a great image. I do it often, and it's such a nice camera to use anyway
Allan

Hi, Sounds good to me! I've been following some of your posts and liked your shots taken in France.

As I said it's because of yours and other folks comments on this thread that I'm getting the X100s. Really looking forward to it.

George.

X100 firmware v2.0 is out here

From the Fuji website:

The firmware update Ver.2.00 form ver.1.30 incorporates the following issues:
1.Improvement of AF speed
Approximately 20% faster AF speed is achieved in various conditions such as bright scenes, dark scenes and changed focus distance compared to the previous firmware version.
2.Improvement of close-up focus performance
The focus distance from the lens surface without switching to macro mode is approximately 30% shorter compared to previous firmware version.
3."Focus Peak Highlight" function for manual focusing is added.
The function, which features on FUJIFILM X100S and X20, is added and assists accurate and sensitive manual focusing by enhancing the outline of your subject in high contrast.
* With this update, "Focus Peak Highlight" function is selected as a default setting. Pressing the center of the command dial for a while enables you to switch the setting of "Focus Peak Highlight" and "STANDARD" (off of "Focus Peak Highlight"). And "MF ASSIST" is added in SHOOTING MENU where you can select "HIGH" and "LOW" in "Focus Peak Highlight" and "STANDARD".
4.Improved manual focus operation
This makes it easier to capture the peak of the focus by displaying the image with shallow depth of field, using open aperture, when adjusting the focus with the electronic view finder or the LCD.
5.Faster start-up time
The camera start-up time is shortened by approximately 0.2 second with QUICK START mode OFF.
6.Improved operability of selecting focus area
Previously, the focus area was selected while holding the AF button on the back. With the upgraded firmware, pressing the AF button will switch to the focus area selection screen and the area of your choice can then be selected.
7.The phenomenon is fixed that a camera will automatically turn off during "Bulb (B)" shooting with the "CONTINUOUS" setting in "IMAGE DISP."

Last edited:
Back