Fuji x100f

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I just bought one of these via the forum. I have only ever had a Canon camera and used Cannon Dpp to do the raws and then photoshop for anything else I wanted to adjust.
Worked well for me.

I do have Lightroom but don't use it as for some reason I find it a faff to find and open images, that and the fact there seems loads of sliders unlike the Canon Dpp software.

So I was hoping to get some info on what other Fuji owners use/recommend to to proccess the Raw files.

Gaz

I also use Capture One.

That said, I also shoot JPG + RAW, which allows me to just browse the JPEGs simply in directory view. Plus, Fuji produces gorgeous JPEGs, some of the film simulations (Classic Chrome, etc) are excellent, and I honestly don't post-process much.

Hi

I just bought one of these via the forum. I have only ever had a Canon camera and used Cannon Dpp to do the raws and then photoshop for anything else I wanted to adjust.
Worked well for me.

I do have Lightroom but don't use it as for some reason I find it a faff to find and open images, that and the fact there seems loads of sliders unlike the Canon Dpp software.

So I was hoping to get some info on what other Fuji owners use/recommend to to proccess the Raw files.

Gaz
Welcome to the club - fantastic cameras...

Honestly, stick with lightroom if you already have it, for editing and asset management.

If you’re struggling to find images, it is perhaps your workflow. No right or wrong way, but proper folder structures on import, combined with tags (if needed) - you’ll never lose an image again, e.g, 2019 > 02 > 2019-02-26 (this being the date of the imges taken).

Regarding editing - again it’s no more complex than any other raw editor... each pane in the develop module can be hidden if desired, just leaving you the basic exposure sliders visible. It’s as easy, or as complex as you want it to be (the interface is also a lot simpler than photoshop IMO!)...

You can also easily re-process your raw files, against Adobe’s versions of the Fuji film simulations too, but of course not unique to lightroom.

Just my 2p (I edit and manage, both Nikon and Fuji images this way), hope this helps.

While I shoot RAW on Nikon, I mainly shoot jpg on the X100F as its so good at that. When i do use RAW I use LR.

Gaz

Just use whatever you are comfortable with, as others have mentioned above there is now a free version of Capture One Express for the Fujifilm, personally I've been a long term Lightroom user and find it does everything I need (though there is quite a bit of negativity out there on the web regarding Fujifilm and LR)

With an X100F, you could easily get away with the just the top couple of panes in Lightroom, cropping, Basic Exposure Adjustments and the Tone Curve, but if you don't get on with the way Lightroom catalogues, then maybe its not for you. Personally I just have a Pictures Folder, then sub folders for years and then a folder for each time I import the images, I name this folder YYYY-MM-DD followed by where I was.

Important thing with Lightroom, make sure your catalogue backup is to a different drive than your main catalogue. I corrupt catalogue is a pain to resolve, and if both go to the same HDD and it fails.......

Most importantly just enjoy your X100F, they are great little cameras

I do have Lightroom but don't use it as for some reason I find it a faff to find and open images
Never touch an image outside of Lightroom and it will be fine. On the other side, if you have Ligthtroom but you don't use it, it's probably an old version. Does it support the X100f raw files?

Capture One Express is OK, but it lacks some features, I'd miss.

Had the X100s, the Xpro1 and XT1, used LR for all of them. I never found any of the other softwares to be much better tbh, some of them just seemed to add unwanted sharpening by default.

I drag and drop the RAW folder into LR, and export the edited Jpegs to a new folder with an obvious title for that batch. I very rarely if ever re-visit old RAWS so don't really catalogue, you don't have to unless you really want to hold on to every Raw file that passes through. If you only ever edit an image once, then you only really need save the exports. LR is one of the easiest programs out there to get the hang of, maybe watch some beginner tutorials,

Well first off, thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.

It seems most prefer LR. I have version 4.4 so not sure if that will support the files fron the x100f.

Never touch an image outside of Lightroom and it will be fine

I assume that as been my problem. With images missing from LR, like I say I use the basic Raw converter from Canon then Pshop. On some occasions I have tried Lightroom and then have been unable to find images.

I am very comfortable with the system I had. Lots of people find Photoshop very daunting but I am very used to it. Strange as it is though I never used the raw converter that comes with Photoshop.

I will have to try LR again also download Capture one express as after reading there website it seems to do a similar thing to Canon Dpp.

Another question.

If I am to use lightroom does anyone know if it would be possible to start a fresh e.g.: No images showing in the software on start up. That way I could start off from a clean slate and maybe import and name things properly.

Thanks

Gaz

@Mr Perceptive Cheers Dave. That cleared that up. I'm not wanting to convert to dng first. You are correct I maybe making this more complicated that it need be. Considering I have not even taken any photos off the camera yet ! Maybe I should do that and go from there.

Really appreciate the help.

I will be back with more questions i'm sure.

Gaz

If I am to use lightroom does anyone know if it would be possible to start a fresh e.g.: No images showing in the software on start up.
You may create a new catalog and then import your pictures to the catalog, without copying, but leaving them in place (import option). If you first choose "write meta data to files" for all your images with the old catalog, you will have all your work saved to the new catalog, as you per picture settings will be read from the sidecar files (*.xmp) for proprietary raw files and directly from the picture for known file formats (jpg, dng, tif, ..).

My work flow starts with importing files from the memory card directly into Lightroom. If I have to rename, delete or move files, I do it in Lightroom. If I sometimes have to use Photoshop, I do it per menu in Lightroom, which will start Photoshop with the given file or files. You can even mark several pictures in LR and let it open in PS already as layers. Choose save and exit in PS and you'll return to LR, with the result already there. But for almost all my pictures, LR has sufficient tools, so I don't need PS. I only use it for moving and replacing contents.

Last edited:
Back