Fuji X100S

Yeh I don't use the lens cap, its still wrapped up in the box. It actually stays on fine as its felt lined and grips the lens. A plastic pinch cap might ruin the look a bit, if thats not to vain! :)

I just leave a UV filter and lens hood on to protect the lens.

I just use UV filter.

It's a pity that Fuji's designers, who seem to have been very attentive to detail in most other areas, couldn't have attached a bit of string to the supplied cap so it could be tethered to the camera.

It's incredible the difference that a fast SD card makes to this camera's performance. More so than any other camera I've owned.

For any iPhoto or Aperture users out there... Apple just pushed out a Digital Camera RAW update covering the X20, X100s, X-E1 and X-Pro1.

I picked up my new X100s a few days ago, so far, I am very impressed with it.
I have been busy with house and garden repairs for the past week, but here's one I took of the dog using iso 6400 to see how noise free it is.
Its good!
Focus could have been a bit better, but these dogs dont stay still for long!

Just upgrade the firmware too, I haven't really used it since so dont know if there is any improvement anywhere.

One of the things that appealed to me about the "s" was the manual focus changes. I'm not sure about the split screen focusing, I would have preferred something a little easier to see, like the old fashioned split circle type, but the focus peaking is very easy and quick to use.
I notice there is a high and low setting for focus peaking but have no idea what that refers to, nor does the manual refer to it al all.
Any ideas?

Allan

Last edited:
Very lovely captures Lee. Which would you recommend out of the 2, the X100s or X100?

Cheers, defiantly the S. The only place the original wins is price. The X100s is still very expensive on the high street but if you know anyone who works at the airport, Dixons travel have it for £899.
The best improvements are the low light noise control and the manual focus aids. But theres a lot of others as well.

Cheers, defiantly the S. The only place the original wins is price. The X100s is still very expensive on the high street but if you know anyone who works at the airport, Dixons travel have it for £899.
The best improvements are the low light noise control and the manual focus aids. But theres a lot of others as well.

Thanks, how about focusing in low light situations?

Just a quick heads up. Fuji refurb store had the x100s for £760 with a 10% discount code (P258BTCC467).
Bought one myself but out of stock now

I'd agree. The split focus feature was a key selling point for me but turned out to be a bit disappointing. It's fun but slower and less precise than the focus peaking option.

I'm a new x100s owner! Bought it from duty free on the way out to the US and have not used it in pain. Can you guys point me to some links where I can read up and get the best out of the camera without having to spend ages learning by trial and error?

Is there a quicker way to format the SD card rather than scrolling through to the last item in the last menu?
It would be good if it could be included in the Q menu.
Allan

We had a spot of sunshine yesterday and I found myself here....

8720199027_e5205bdfaa_h.jpg

Herne Bay in Kent

Allan

Yes, thats an X100, or maybe a pre production S
Allan

Swapped both my X100 and X10 for the new models and here they are.
The twins. :love:

8723114965_23307bb1cd_b.jpg

Allan

I guess thats a bit subjective. It will have a different look and feel because the sensors are different, but I really like the 100s. I find it is able to resolve fine detail better and high iso images are much cleaner, but noise ( or lack of it) and sharpness isn't everything. I still prefer the images I got from my Leica X1 even though many people will knock it, the images had something that you couldnt put your finger on. The x100, had a similar feel.

I havent really used the camera enough to form a proper opinion, but so far, things are looking good and I dont feel I am missing the quality of images I used to get with my x100.

Ask me again in a few weeks, I may have an answer then.

Allan

I guess thats a bit subjective. It will have a different look and feel because the sensors are different, but I really like the 100s. I find it is able to resolve fine detail better and high iso images are much cleaner, but noise ( or lack of it) and sharpness isn't everything. I still prefer the images I got from my Leica X1 even though many people will knock it, the images had something that you couldnt put your finger on. The x100, had a similar feel.

I havent really used the camera enough to form a proper opinion, but so far, things are looking good and I dont feel I am missing the quality of images I used to get with my x100.

Ask me again in a few weeks, I may have an answer then.

Allan

Thank you

hi all, i had a bit of a windfall recently and ordered myself an x100s which shall be arriving tomorrow. I've ordered a cheap hood off ebay but i'm unsure as to what route i should take regarding batteries. I'd like to get one, probably two spares but is it worth getting official ones? What's the best place to order them as well?

many thanks

hi all, i had a bit of a windfall recently and ordered myself an x100s which shall be arriving tomorrow. I've ordered a cheap hood off ebay but i'm unsure as to what route i should take regarding batteries. I'd like to get one, probably two spares but is it worth getting official ones? What's the best place to order them as well?

many thanks

Just grab some cheap 3rd party ones from eBay, they might not last quite as long but I haven't noticed the difference and the official ones are far too expensive. It's definitely worth having at least one spare as the battery meter is pretty rubbish (one of the few things they didn't fix from the X100).

Just grab some cheap 3rd party ones from eBay, they might not last quite as long but I haven't noticed the difference and the official ones are far too expensive. It's definitely worth having at least one spare as the battery meter is pretty rubbish (one of the few things they didn't fix from the X100).

Thanks, there are some very cheap ones on eBay so I wouldn't be overly bothered if they didn't last quite as long but are they definitely fine to use?

I used the x100s for the first time today. I loved it! Took it to a national trust place and it was so much less stressful than lugging my DSLR about! Two things I wanted to ask about though:

1) I found that actually manual focus (with peak detect) was much better than autofocus. This is weird to me as I've never used MF on a dSLR. Is this common with others? I like the manual focus because if my subject moved all i need to do is move myself a bit to get in focus and then mash on the fire button :) I also could be sure that the camera was not focussing on something behind the subject (which happened several times on auto focus).

2) I LOVE the in camera processing. It is better than what I can achieve in Lightroom (due to my lack of skills). This is odd to me - ive only ever shot RAW before! For now i'm shooting jpg+raw. What do you guys do?

Here is my favourite shot of the day. Can't wait to use this camera more.

AKX-0210_zps2897d291.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a cracking picture, she looks deep in thought.
I've been waiting for a good manual focus option on a digital camera ( cant afford an M8 or M9!), and I think, as you do, that the focus peaking option is excellent.
My only criticism would be that I would like a peg or something on the focus ring and a little less movement from min to max focus. I like to use one finger to focus while keeping my hand on the camera, once you move the aperture ring above ƒ4, it gets awkward to move the focus ring, I then have to resort to two fingers which makes focusing slower and you still tend to catch the raised portions of the aperture ring.
Oh well, its nearly there!
Apart from that, its a lovely camera and images are superb. Have you tried high iso yet? Very impressive.
Allan

Dubcat:

This is weird to me as I've never used MF on a dSLR. Is this common with others? I like the manual focus because if my subject moved all i need to do is move myself a bit to get in focus and then mash on the fire button :) I also could be sure that the camera was not focussing on something behind the subject (which happened several times on auto focus).

I was having this issue before - you need to turn on 'corrected af frame' from the a4 menu. See page 78 of the manual for more info but basically it will show a second af green box for closer subjects. Agreed though, manually focussing on this camera is a breeze :)

Last edited:
Thanks Rowan - i have turned it on but not tried it out yet. Will give it a shot soon.

Last edited:
Where are people finding stock of the X100s, out of interest? I''ve decided on one to compliment my X-E1 but I can't find anywhere that actually has one. A few places are saying at least another month before they can get hold of one.

I've tried Fuji direct, Amazon, WEX, Jessops, Calumet, Park, eBay, John Lewis and a bunch of others.

Where are people finding stock of the X100s, out of interest? I''ve decided on one to compliment my X-E1 but I can't find anywhere that actually has one. A few places are saying at least another month before they can get hold of one.

I've tried Fuji direct, Amazon, WEX, Jessops, Calumet, Park, eBay, John Lewis and a bunch of others.

Have a look on CameraPriceBuster here http://www.camerapricebuster.com/Fujifilm/Fujifilm-Compact-Cameras/Fujifilm-X100S If that draws a blank, maybe phone Fuji and see if they can point you in the right direction.

Keep an eye on Fuji refurb store I picked one up a few weeks back for around £750 with the 10% discount code

Back