Fuji X20 ... RAW v JPG

Edit My Images
Yes
Just got my X20 and one reason was the Fuji Velvia fim setting. While processesing some shots from last night I compared the RAW (RAF to DNG via Adobe DNG convertor) v the JPG (set on Velvia). I know that with RAW you need to apply sharpening but I was shocked at differences. Now I know companies like Fuji, Canon, Nikon, spend millions on their in-camera processing and I suspose a mere mortal like me will never get CS5 to the same level (make the RAW like a JPG). Then again, it has been hard week so maybe I have got it all wrong !!

On the left, DNG into ACR and then CS5 without any PP. On the right JPG with no PP. Camera was set to save RAW and Fine JPG.

8901876730_5d9b966a30_b.jpg

Just got my X20 and one reason was the Fuji Velvia fim setting. While processesing some shots from last night I compared the RAW (RAF to DNG via Adobe DNG convertor) v the JPG (set on Velvia). I know that with RAW you need to apply sharpening but I was shocked at differences. Now I know companies like Fuji, Canon, Nikon, spend millions on their in-camera processing and I suspose a mere mortal like me will never get CS5 to the same level (make the RAW like a JPG). Then again, it has been hard week so maybe I have got it all wrong !!

On the left, DNG into ACR and then CS5 without any PP. On the right JPG with no PP. Camera was set to save RAW and Fine JPG.

8901876730_5d9b966a30_b.jpg

don't forget as well as sharpening your photo the Velvia preset will have made numerous changes to the raw file. Saturation, contrast etc etc etc to mimic the Velvia emulsion. You could do that in CS 5/LR if you wanted, but to me that shows how much processing is done during a JPEG conversion

don't forget as well as sharpening your photo the Velvia preset will have made numerous changes to the raw file. Saturation, contrast etc etc etc to mimic the Velvia emulsion. You could do that in CS 5/LR if you wanted, but to me that shows how much processing is done during a JPEG conversion

Yes I agree. However since these large companies spend so much research and development time on the creating in-camera effects, can we ever re-produce them ourselves in Photoshop? You may not want to of course.

I have spent 3 or 4 years now shooting nothing but RAW but was pleasantly suprised how good the JPG's I got from my new X20. Will see what it is like on my 5DII.

I have spent 3 or 4 years now shooting nothing but RAW but was pleasantly suprised how good the JPG's I got from my new X20. Will see what it is like on my 5DII.

I have to agree with you there. My x100 produces bloody nice JPGS and seeing as its only for personal use I not bothering shooting in RAW

Yes I agree. However since these large companies spend so much research and development time on the creating in-camera effects, can we ever re-produce them ourselves in Photoshop? You may not want to of course.

I have to agree with you there. My x100 produces bloody nice JPGS and seeing as its only for personal use I not bothering shooting in RAW

and is exactly why the X10 has won so many fans, its jpg ability is so good, there is very little point shooting in RAW, plus the jpg is almost as maleable as a RAW file in pp too, so no surprise that the X20 is repeating that trait (y)

and is exactly why the X10 has won so many fans, its jpg ability is so good, there is very little point shooting in RAW, plus the jpg is almost as maleable as a RAW file in pp too, so no surprise that the X20 is repeating that trait (y)

:plus1: (y)

Your results are about what I would expect.
A raw conversion needs some pp... straight out of any camera they are always lacking.
You need the latest Raw converter in Lightroom 4.4 or CS6 to get the best out of the X20. The dng route still needs the latest adjustments available in the new Adobe raw processor to get the best out of them.

The filters like velvia are not available in raw. You have to make the equivalent adjustment yourself.

Back