Fuji XT1 vs XE2? (Worth the extra?)

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering if the xt1 is worth the extra over the xe2?...or would the saving on the xe2 be better spent towards some nice glass?.I think I have GAS!!!!!:oops: :$ Also how good is the fuji 18-55mm 2.8-4 lens

Last edited:
A lot depends on if you extras that come with the XT-1,the electronics shutter etc,plus rangefinder viewfinder compared to the XT-1 one.

And the lens is an great little lens,and works well on both models :)

A lot depends on if you extras that come with the XT-1,the electronics shutter etc,plus rangefinder viewfinder compared to the XT-1 one.

And the lens is an great little lens,and works well on both models :)
I think I get your drift lol :D

So how do the bodies compare aside from the weather sealing and articulating screen on xt1?

The EVF in the XT-1 is worth the difference in price in my opinion, like a widescreen big screen tv vs a portable telly -)
I've never owned the XE2, but am very happy with the XT-1.
Paired up with the 35mm 1.4 you have a killer combo.

The EVF in the XT-1 is worth the difference in price in my opinion, like a widescreen big screen tv vs a portable telly -)
I've never owned the XE2, but am very happy with the XT-1.
Paired up with the 35mm 1.4 you have a killer combo.
Any samples mate

60mm Macro

16045023306_f592dc3020_o.jpg

35mm 1.4mm using remote

16152673640_bb3fcf5d8d_h.jpg

55-200

16008437527_0d7bccee19_o.jpg

60mm Macro

16055634932_0d781fba2e_h.jpg

With the latest firmware in the X-E2, there is very little difference in the general performance of the cameras. That said the X-T1 does have a few additional functions, looks more retro and has more configurable buttons and dials!! The refresh rate on the EVF is slightly faster and some claim that the AF is still faster than the X-E2 (even after the firmware upgrade).

The X-T1 is a physically bigger camera, and for some the central viewerfinder is not as convenient as the one to the side (depends on your nose!!), they do feel different in the hand.

The X-E2 is reaching probably its lowest retail sales price, whereas the X-T1 is still fairly high.

My view would be that if you don't need the handful of extra features that the X-T1 has (or want the weather sealing), and you are happy with the AF and EVF on the X-E2, I would buy the X-E2 and spend the additional money on some extra glass, and all the Fuji lenses are stellar, they just don't make a bad one!!

I have both an X-E1 and an X-E2 and see no reason to upgrade to an X-T1 for the type of shooting that I do.

its all about the veiwfinder for me, the X-T1 has a wonderful finder. X-E2 is falling in value like a brick from a window. I have the X-T1 and a buddy HAD the X-E2 and the feel (for me) was horrible and the EVF was very tight and gritty in comparison. My buddy now owns an X-T1 and traded his X-E2 for an X30.. good deal I say.

its all about the veiwfinder for me, the X-T1 has a wonderful finder. X-E2 is falling in value like a brick from a window. I have the X-T1 and a buddy HAD the X-E2 and the feel (for me) was horrible and the EVF was very tight and gritty in comparison. My buddy now owns an X-T1 and traded his X-E2 for an X30.. good deal I say.
I paid £499 for it from the fuji refurb shop almost a year ago, i'd still get £350-400 for it on ebay if I wanted to sell.

I was tempted with the X-T1 but I personally prefer the rangefinder styling of the X-E2 rather than the mini-dslr of the X-T1 so will probably wait for the X-E3 :) I know viewfinder on the X-T1 is much better but I upgraded from an X-E1 and the difference in viewfinder then was amazing, Im sure the new viewfinder will be on the X-E3 :)

considering the xe2 plus 18-55mm and the 35mm 1.4..can get £100 back off the kit and also £100 cash back from the lens so seems good deal.The 35mm looks a cracking lens!

Thanks for that..just weighing up my options as just seen that if I buy 2 lenses I could get £300 cashback! Mmm maybe body only and still get £100 cash back then add the 56mm 1.2R and 35mm? Would entitle me to 300 cashback from them also

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...atch=e&plid=&gclid=cpgf-iul38mcfsetwwod02uamq

Would give you a rangefinder style body and a pair of XF primes. Not sure what (if any) cashback you can get on that deal. I bought an X-Pro a while back and got the 18mm and a freebie of my choice (I went for the 60mm) then bought an X-T1 to accompany it (along with the 18-55-200 zooms) followed by a 10-24 (which was partially finance by the 60mm.) Not sure there's a bad lens in the Fuji range, although they do still lack a long option (the 100-400 has been pushed back to next year on the roadmap...)

Hadnt considered the xpro 1 but that looks like a cracking deal as the lenses alone would cost almost the same price..could possibly stretch budget asnd get the 56mm 1.2 as well which would be 650 after cashback! How does xpro 1 compare to xe2?..sorry for all the questions:oops: :$

It is a cracking deal but only if you want an xpro1, which has a lot slower AF and a much poorer EVF than either the X-E2 or X-T1 AND both those lenses are available quite cheaply (around £200 for a s/h 27mm, and slightly less for mint 18mm's), they are fairly widely considered to be the poor mans lenses in the XF range.

Personally I'd stay with the X-E2

Hi Stuart,

Not had an XE-2 but do have an XP1 and love it. I have just brought the XT-1 from Panamoz and it is a worthy upgrade. The EVF is brilliant, its a much quicker camera and the dials on top give easy and quick access to your main settings. The XPro1 has sat in the draw since as I don't want to sell it, but its not had any use since the XT1 has arrived.

I use the XF 18-55 & 35mm lenses and a 50-230 XC lens. Both the XF are really nice, sharp, well built and beautiful pictures. The XC50-230 takes some very good images but the difference in build quality is definately there. I'm not saying it feels cheap, but its no where near as good as an XF lens. I am now looking for the XF55-200 as an upgrade as that is apparently very nice.

So - definately recommend the XT-1 and the 18-55/35 combo.

Jim

Thanks James the xt1 with kit lens and 35mm would be really stretching my budget tbh..I would rather go that route but its getting very expensive compared to the xe2..

Not used the X-E2 so can't comment on it against the others. Can't remember what I got for various lenses as a trade in allowance but the 60mm did very well for me! The 18-55 "kit" lens really doesn't deserve the kit label - it's far better than that suggests. FWIW, the only reason the 18mm and 27mm are considered the poor relations is that they're being given away in assorted deals! Both are very competent performers if you want to go down the prime route. Personally, I've gone for the 10-24, 18-55 and 55-200 set with the 18-135 as a single lens walkaround option that's a very good weatherproof option on the X-T1. I've kept the 18mm as a faster option as well. The weatherproofing and almost SLR handling were the real selling points of the X-T1 for me.

Thanks James the xt1 with kit lens and 35mm would be really stretching my budget tbh..I would rather go that route but its getting very expensive compared to the xe2..

Stuart, I'm also thinking of going Fuji with the X-T1 and was wondering if you had looked at the Fuji Store refurbs? If the price ends in 98p or 99p you can apparently apply voucher code paypal12 at basket stage and it will take 10% off the quoted price. I've linked the page below, but I'm not sure the code works for the refurb lenses as well, or at least the expensive/desirable ones.

http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/refurbished-digital-cameras?cat=113

As I say would like the xt1 but could get the xe2 with the 35mm and 56mm with the cashback deal...Have you used the 56mm?

the 56 is excellent, it becomes the equivalent to 85mm on the Fuji.

Stuart, I'm also thinking of going Fuji with the X-T1 and was wondering if you had looked at the Fuji Store refurbs? If the price ends in 98p or 99p you can apparently apply voucher code paypal12 at basket stage and it will take 10% off the quoted price. I've linked the page below, but I'm not sure the code works for the refurb lenses as well, or at least the expensive/desirable ones.

The viewfinder on the X-T1 is enormous! I wouldn't say it's significantly sharper though (from my brief comparison). It's so big I found my eye wandering around trying to see the edges lol

Do you have a store nearby where you can handle both e.g. John Lewis?
Thanks both...will look on refurb store.Regards to the view finder I am not that fussed as I hav been using cameras without one for a while now but I agree would be nice to go in store and try them both out.

Just tried the code on a xt1 and it worked..came out at £656.98...body only and xe2 359

Last edited:
I can tell you from experience that the Fuji cashback backlog is HUGE! I waited over 3 months for mine and ended up with my having to nag them with countless phone calls to urge them to sort it out. Im not knocking them at all but the cashback is handled by a 3rd party company... just saying.

cheers for that..was hoping it would be within a few weeks not months..

Back