Fuji XT1 vs XE2? (Worth the extra?)

Cant decide..refurb xt1 with 18-55mm and 35mm or xe2 with 35mm and 56mm 1.2?..

Got my heart set on that 1.2 56mm lol..I have my ricoh with the 18mm so like the idea of an x series with 2 real nice primes..I dont know too much choice lol

Get the XT1 otherwise you will have that little niggle in your head "what if", if your like me :D. I bought my original XT1 from the refurb shop and it was one of the lower serial number ones and had the mushy d-pad, it was also freezing on me so I returned and bought new from Panamoz. Pressume the newer ones won't have the mushy d-pads.

I have had the XE-1, Xpro-1 and the XT1 and for me the EVF was a massive improvement over the others, I was having an arc eye effect with the others and my optician put it down to mini migraines as the refresh was to slow on the Xpro in particular. Also I found the AF and response times better with the XT1.

I have since sold up the XT due to me getting into bird photography in the garden and with the delay of the long lens and due to disablilties I was struggling with MF old long lenses, that was down to me and my physical problems. I will probably re-buy when the 120-400mm lens comes out.

As said, Fuji dont make a bad lens and with the focus peaking you have an abundance of old manual lenses to use on the system with cheap adpaters. These could possibly tie you over until you can afford to buy the 35mm & 56mm ??

Edit: Don't rule out the 60mm macro for portrait shooting if that's your intended use with the 56mm. Myself I found it to be the sharpest lens corner to corner of the ones I have owned.

So could you afford, body with 35mm & 60mm now and get the 56mm later??

Last edited:
Thanks Simon much appreciated.Part of me is saying get the xt1 and "Kit" lens but part of me really wants that 56mm lol which I could get if I went for the xe2

It is something to consider while you juggle the finances, MF is so easy with old lenses. I prefered Canon FD and M42 mounts. There are some bargains out there and my favourite lens was the Helios 58mm f2, so smooth to operate and nice and sharp.

Take a memory card to your local stockist and see which you prefer and have a good think and read about the 60mm macro I mentioned in earlier edited post as an alternative to the 56mm.

To chuck a spanner into the works, the Sony A7 is excellent value at present with the kit lens @ around £999.00. I have tried one before selling the XT1 and for myself I prefered the XT1 for the quicker AF IMO, but it is worth considering at the price point. Also, the kit lens is not highly rated, but from my test shots I found it as good as the Fuji 18-55mm. :exit:

Last edited:
Thanks Simon much appreciated.Part of me is saying get the xt1 and "Kit" lens but part of me really wants that 56mm lol which I could get if I went for the xe2

Well, the saying that lenses are a better investment than bodies holds just as true with Fujis as it does with Nikanontaxonies! Maybe a cheap 2nd hand X-Pro and your dream lens for now then flog the body on to help fund an X-T2 (sic).

Might be worth reading this. http://www.fujivsfuji.com/xt1-vs-xe2-vs-xpro1/

ETA Oh, and my cashback (actually a direct account credit these days) took 3 weeks from registering my X-30 but you can't apply for the cashback for a couple of weeks (to stop devious scrotes from buying, getting the cashback then returning the camera for a refund...)

Last edited:
Back