Fujifilm X-H1

OK, this might be a bit of an odd ball question but here goes.

For my Micro four thirds kit (Olympus OMD Em1 MK II and Panasonic G9), I purchased a while ago a cheap remote cable release / timer that had interchangeable plug in cables and it works great, and has great features and has been very reliable. I have one 3.5mm cable for the Olympus and one for the Panasonic. As my new Fuji X-H1 also now utilizes a 3.5mm socket for the remote release, I thought I'd try both cables to see which one worked. Sadly neither did, but I was wondering if the release for the X-H1 was similar to any other camera brand (i.e. the Panasonic cable was originally for a Canon camera). It would just be nice to have one remote that works across all 3 cameras? I wouldn't have thought there were that many different combinations of 3,5mm cables?

Any ideas?

Here is the remote I use and below that the 2 ends of the plug in cables (you can see they are slightly different).

Ignore the above, it turns out i had the wrong end plugged in :D:D

For anyone else's info, it's the same cable as for my Olympus (the bottom one in the image above), and works just fine.

Just been down to the river with the X-H1 and my newly-acquired 16-55. NOW I see what all the fuss is about. This lens is manifestly better than my 18-55, which I previously thought was no slouch. Coupled with the IS on the body I am comfortably able to hand-hold at 1/9 second @55mm. Possibly slower if I tried. I don't have a grip - don't like them - just a generic arca plate which deepens the camera by about 15mm.

Just been down to the river with the X-H1 and my newly-acquired 16-55. NOW I see what all the fuss is about. This lens is manifestly better than my 18-55, which I previously thought was no slouch. Coupled with the IS on the body I am comfortably able to hand-hold at 1/9 second @55mm. Possibly slower if I tried. I don't have a grip - don't like them - just a generic arca plate which deepens the camera by about 15mm.
He's seen the light, bless you my son :D:D

Do you agree that it is indeed a marriage made in heaven? :)

Well, yesterday took delivery of my 16-55 F2.8 from Park Cameras, and it is indeed a mint copy, and on initial inside testing last night, seems tack sharp on the X-H1 but will do some more testing today, but so far looks quite promising and everything I was expecting.

Thought this might be of interest to some on here as well. I brought my Panasonic G9 into work to perform the firmware update from yesterday, and as our warehouse has a nice accurate set of digital scales, I thought I'd weigh both cameras to see how close they were.

So the X-H1 was with and without the battery grip (battery grip with the two additional batteries). Including main camera battery and 16-55 F2.8 lens, hood and caps.

Panasonic G9 was with and without the battery grip (with the one additional battery in the grip). Including main camera battery and the Olympus 12-100 F4 (my go to lens), including hood and caps.

Cameras with battery grips
  • Fuji X-H1 (16-55 F2.8) - 1,783 g
  • Panasonic G9 (12-100 F4) - 1,604 g
Cameras WITHOUT battery grips
  • Fuji X-H1 (16-55 F2.8) - 1,395 g
  • Panasonic G9 (12-100 F4) - 1,307 g
I know the G9 is one of the larger Micro Four third cameras, but I was quite surprised how close they were. Now obviously if I'd had used my Olympus 12-40 F2.8 (similar in focal length to the 16-55) it would have been a bigger difference (the 12-40 is 180 g lighter). I think there would be another 100g extra in it if I'd have done this with my EM1 MK II as well.

Compare all those to the Nikon D810 with the non stabilised Nikon 24-70 F2.8 I used to shoot with and that combo (without battery grip) weighed 1,880 g, and was huge. So the Fuji is saving me half a kilo (485 g) and the G9 - over half a kilo (573 g), it just shows mirrorless (whether full frame, APS-C or Micro four thirds), can carry some serious weight advantages still.

Well, yesterday took delivery of my 16-55 F2.8 from Park Cameras, and it is indeed a mint copy, and on initial inside testing last night, seems tack sharp on the X-H1 but will do some more testing today, but so far looks quite promising and everything I was expecting.

Thought this might be of interest to some on here as well. I brought my Panasonic G9 into work to perform the firmware update from yesterday, and as our warehouse has a nice accurate set of digital scales, I thought I'd weigh both cameras to see how close they were.

So the X-H1 was with and without the battery grip (battery grip with the two additional batteries). Including main camera battery and 16-55 F2.8 lens, hood and caps.

Panasonic G9 was with and without the battery grip (with the one additional battery in the grip). Including main camera battery and the Olympus 12-100 F4 (my go to lens), including hood and caps.

I know the G9 is one of the larger Micro Four third cameras, but I was quite surprised how close they were. Now obviously if I'd had used my Olympus 12-40 F2.8 (similar in focal length to the 16-55) it would have been a bigger difference (the 12-40 is 180 g lighter). I think there would be another 100g extra in it if I'd have done this with my EM1 MK II as well.

Compare all those to the Nikon D810 with the non stabilised Nikon 24-70 F2.8 I used to shoot with and that combo (without battery grip) weighed 1,880 g, and was huge. So the Fuji is saving me half a kilo (485 g) and the G9 - over half a kilo (573 g), it just shows mirrorless (whether full frame, APS-C or Micro four thirds), can carry some serious weight advantages still.
All fair comments and very interesting. However, to me, it's not about comparative weights. It's about shoulder weights. Though I love my H1 and 16-55, I can't help worrying that mirrorless (Fuji, Olympus, and Panny) is forgetting some of the promises it made regarding weight and camera bag occupancy. That's why I jumped ship from Canon all those years back.

I agree, but if i'd have weighed my EM1 MK II with the 12-40 lens, it would have been around 956 g. That nearly a kilogram lighter than my old D810 kit. Whilst some might argue nearly a kilogram is still no lightweight, remember we are still talking about a top of the line Pro body and lens here. If you forgo weather sealing and a few bells and whistles for a lower line body, then the weight lowers even more (e.g. Pen F with same lens - 816g). I think the only way we are going to get appreciably smaller and lighter is with built in lens cameras (like the Panasonic LX100, Fuji X100 etc.) ?

Yes, but if I take a long hard look at my decisions and disregard my GAS, I should still have been happy with my E510 or EM5. Both gave quite adequate results for my needs, and since I rarely go out in the rain, I shouldn’t be concerned about weather resistance. But that’s progress, I suppose. :D Just like me, the weight is piling back on.

I've never had a full kit bag of Nikon/Canon gear but my current bag is at the point of being uncomfortable. Really noticed it at the weekend lugging it across London.
XH-1
Grip + batteries
50-140
16-55
Rotolight
Godox X1TF
Godox V860
Phone

That little lot with the bag comes to 8kg and i've since added a 16mm and have a second body on the way :eek:

I've never had a full kit bag of Nikon/Canon gear but my current bag is at the point of being uncomfortable. Really noticed it at the weekend lugging it across London.
XH-1
Grip + batteries
50-140
16-55
Rotolight
Godox X1TF
Godox V860
Phone

That little lot with the bag comes to 8kg and i've since added a 16mm and have a second body on the way :eek:

OMG - thank goodness I 'progressed' to an X-E3 and 15-45

XH-1
Grip + batteries
50-140
16-55
Rotolight
Godox X1TF
Godox V860
Phone

This ^

There are many times I’m considering selling my Fuji gear and getting Leica Q
I’d keep my D500 for long lens stuff.

This ^

Not a good plan imo, better to get a small bag and just take what you'll need for the day. I kind of knew I wouldn't need the 50-140 and Godox for that shoot, took them "just in case" but that's poor planning on my part.

Last edited:
This ^

There have been many occasions when I’ve considered life with just an X100F and converter. After all, I was happy touring Australia and HK last yearvwith just this kit. But then ...

Not a good plan imo, better to get a small bag and just take what you'll need for the day. I kind of knew I wouldn't need the 50-140 and Godox for that shoot, took them "just in case" but that's poor planning on my part.

This is why I have limited myself to a small Billingham. In that I get one T2 with the 10-24, and enough room for one other lens and a small flash, or two other smaller lenses (usually the 35 f1.4 and either the 16 f1.4 or the 60 f2.4, depending on what I'm doing). I can get my big iPad in the back of the bag, and my wallet, phone & keys in the front pockets, along with spare batteries.

My old 6D & 24-105 or 17-40 would have filled the bag and been a bit heavier.

I have been guilty of taking the 50-140 out when I knew I probably wouldn't need it, but "just in case". It's big, heavy, but bloody good...

Last edited:

so, initial impressions of the 16-55 seem good then! I was never particularly enamoured with the 18-55 though it mostly did a good job up to around 35mm. My brother now has it and having had some ghastly Tamron superzoom before before, he thinks it's just great!

so, initial impressions of the 16-55 seem good then! I was never particularly enamoured with the 18-55 though it mostly did a good job up to around 35mm. My brother now has it and having had some ghastly Tamron superzoom before before, he thinks it's just great!
Yes David, initial impressions are excellent. Focussing is lightning-fast, it balances well on the H1, and the colours have a certain crispness - difficult to define, but certainly a cut above the 18-55. And that's using Lightroom, as my trial of the Fuji version of C1 has been curtailed by me as it refuses to open and stay open.

Yes, but if I take a long hard look at my decisions and disregard my GAS, I should still have been happy with my E510 or EM5. Both gave quite adequate results for my needs, and since I rarely go out in the rain, I shouldn’t be concerned about weather resistance. But that’s progress, I suppose. :D Just like me, the weight is piling back on.

I've just got a 50-140 having just technically sneaked in just at under the 1kg mark I swore I would never go over. Sold both the 90 and 55-200. And it's better, sometimes by far, than the 55-200,even without taking into account the constant f2.8 and exceptional OIS.The Olympus system was nice but I couldn't find the lenses 5 years ago that I wanted for the price I wanted. And current Fuji sensors are certainly a noticeable step up.

David

I've just got a 50-140 having just technically sneaked in just at under the 1kg mark I swore I would never go over. Sold both the 90 and 55-200. And it's better, sometimes by far, than the 55-200,even without taking into account the constant f2.8 and exceptional OIS.The Olympus system was nice but I couldn't find the lenses 5 years ago that I wanted for the price I wanted. And current Fuji sensors are certainly a noticeable step up.

David
Kind of wish i'd kept my 90 and will get another one at some point, as good as the 50-140 is the 90 is special if there's room/money for both.

Kind of wish i'd kept my 90 and will get another one at some point, as good as the 50-140 is the 90 is special if there's room/money for both.
I had the 50-140, swapped it for my first 90, sold that then bought another. Good as the 50-140 is, which is to say superb, it was just too long for my normal needs. Agree with Pete - given a choice I would have both.

I had the 50-140, swapped it for my first 90, sold that then bought another. Good as the 50-140 is, which is to say superb, it was just too long for my normal needs. Agree with Pete - given a choice I would have both.

horses for courses. if you need the reach and some flexibility, the 50-140 is a great option. optically i think the 90mm is a class above though.

I am still torn between the 56mm 1.2R and the 90mm F2, I know I wnn't be satisfied until I have both, but I can only afford one this week. As I am likely to be using it indoors for the time being I think I am going to go with the 56mm. The 50-140 and 100-400 are on my wish list, and then that is going to be it...

Last edited:
I am still torn between the 56mm 1.2R and the 90mm F2, I know I wnn't be satisfied until I have both, but I can only afford one this week. As I am likely to be using it indoors for the time being I think I am going to go with the 56mm. The 50-140 and 100-400 are on my wish list, and then that is going to be it...

56 is a beautiful lens, would love to play with one on an XT3

for indoors i'd go with the 56 for the extra light gathering and shorter focal length.

Last edited:
for indoors i'd go with the 56 for the extra light gathering and shorter focal length.
That is my current thought process, I am having to use high ISO on my 18-55 indoors due to the F4.0 maximum apeture at 55mm. Whilst I can hold a slow SS on the XT-3 with the OIS lens, I need a faster SS to freeze my little girls movements! I think the 56mm will allow this.

That is my current thought process, I am having to use high ISO on my 18-55 indoors due to the F4.0 maximum apeture at 55mm. Whilst I can hold a slow SS on the XT-3 with the OIS lens, I need a faster SS to freeze my little girls movements! I think the 56mm will allow this.

it will be a monumental upgrade from the 18-55.

That's it, I'm sold. My only concern was the AF speed. But I am sure it will be fine for what I am using it for, my 85mm 1.2L Canon was fine, so I see this as being at least that quick.

Well my two new lenses arrived today, and for the time being (famous last words), I think my Fuji kit is now complete.

Fujifilm X-H1 body with Grip
Fujifilm 16-55 F2.8 WR
Fujifilm 10-24 F4 OIS
Fujifilm 55-200 F3.5-4.8 OIS
Fujifilm 35mm F2 WR

So I now have every focal length from 15 mm to 300 mm (FF Equivalent) and a small light prime for low light work. I'd like to stop there as over the years I went a bit mental with my Micro four thirds kit (must post an image of the kit when I get the time), and I just want to stick to the basics on Fuji for now.

Here it all is:

hmm...now what about the 23mm F1.4, 56mm F1.2, 90mm F2, 100-400 f5.6, X-T3 etc.......:D:D

Last edited:
Back