Fujifilm X70 vs Sony A5000 / 5100 for Travel

Would you take the Fuji x70 or Sony a5000 on a longterm trip to Australia and NZ?

• Total voters
Name
Edd
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All,

I am after some opinions please. I have been a long time Canon DSLR user, next year I am going on a long term trip to Australia and New Zealand, although I'd love to take my SLR with all my lenses space and weight are at a premium. I also plan to do plenty of hiking and exploring so want something a bit smaller, but can still take great landscape and day to day shots.

I purchased a Fujifilm x70 a few weeks ago, with the aim of this being my sole camera while I travel. I've been really pleased with it so far, it produces great jpegs straight out the camera and is small and light enough for me. However one factor cannot be avoided is the fixed 28mm lens.

At lunchtime today I wondered into a local camera shop and had a play with a Sony a5000 & 5100 out of interest. I was impressed with both and they have many of the features of the Fuji, but with the added benefit of interchangeable lens, and therefore potentially more versatility, the kit lens is 16-50mm.

Therefore based on this I have a few questions:
  • Will I find the lack of zoom of the Fuji x70 limiting, especially when trying to capture landscapes?
  • Is the Sony A5000 / 5100 a better camera?
  • Does the Sony A5000 / 51000 take better pictures (I'm looking to take most photos in jpeg during the trip)?
  • Which camera would choose for the trip if you were going (poll also included)?
  • Or should I look at a different camera altogether in the £300-£400 price range?
Any thoughts and personal experience with any of these cameras would be great to hear.

Thank you,
Edd

Last edited:
I've used my trusty X100 as sole camera on many trips without regret. Other times, I've also taken my X-E2 with extreme focal length lenses (mainly 10-24mm and 60mm macro) to cover X100's fixed lens view.

The two cameras you've listed are akin to my X100 + X-E2 setup: they are different cameras for different uses. The X70 is similar to my X100, in that it is very portable and a photographer's hobby camera. The Sony A5000 is very similar to my X-E2 in the sense it's a compact mirrorless camera, allowing you different focal lengths but you have to have a camera bag and more than the kit lens to make the exercise worth while.

If I were you in this situation, which I had been last year. I had sold my second hand Canon full frame stuff for Fuji X-E2 and brand new lenses. Total weight saving over 1kg, and spare cash of around £200. The X70 and Sony mirrorless are both valuable for different uses. I took my X100 out when I want to be light on my feet, and took the interchangeable lens camera if I were to carry a bag and know I will need the UWA or a longer lens. Mind you, the X100 still captured most of the important memories, as it's always with me.

So I chose the X70 in your poll, because no matter what other camera you take, the X70 is so portable it should always be with you.

Thank you for the reply @wuyanxu and your opinion.

Do you think the fixed focal length of the x70 is a cause for concern, for example when I want to capture New Zealand landscapes,etc.

I guess a further option would be to get a Fuji X-A2 instead of the X70, offering similar size but versatility with lenses...

I've also been having a further look at other options this afternoon as an alternative to the X70.

Sticking with Fuji the x-m1 seems a good option, used I can pick it up with a 16-50mm for around £300.

Would I notice a big difference between the x70 and x-m1 in terms of use? Is the Af and operation slower?

I thought I had read the X70 had a feature called 'Digital Tele-converter', to give you the equivalent of 3 lenses in the one body?

This allowed you to select 35mm and 50mm (in 35mm format equivalent), although think there was a warning the image quality may be degraded?

Used Eos M with 22mm f2. Very small. Great JPegs and you can use you canon lenses with the adaptor after your holiday if you decide to keep it.

If your using it mostly for landscapes wouldn't the X70 be ok for most of that type of photos and as its so compact its easy to just be on you all the time.
I've had a few Sony CSC personally i never was a big fan of them but each to there own although i liked the much more pricey A7 range but the lenses tend to be a fair size so it killed the benefit of compact system vs Canon gear i have :D

If you did decide to buy alternative to the X70 rather than the XM1 there's also the refurb X-A2 with kit lens £249.99 on fuji store ( use PAYPAL12 for further 10% off )... Few Fuji X series bodies too there for a bit more yet you'd need a lens then.

I have the X70 it's a great pocket camera with excellent image quality and one that I carry all the time. The teleconvertor bit is is a bit of a gimmick as you can only use JPEG so you are probably better off shooting raw and cropping. It's not bad at macro either.

You mentioned an xm1 which is a good camera but if you keep your eye on the Fuji refurbished site, none in stock at moment, you can get an xa2 and 16-50 for around £230

Can you only carry 1 camera? Is there no possibility of bringing the X70 with something else? Like your Canon and a short tele lens? For once in a life time trip, only taking a fixed focal length is a bit risky, though liberating. It's good to have a second focal length to be ready for those compressed landscape shots.

My point is, be more creative with your camera setup. The fixed focal length of X70 and X100 was never meant to be your single camera. I personally find having an interchangeable lens camera along side helps greatly. Otherwise all photos will feel similar because of the fixed focal length.

Thank you all for the responses.

@wuyanxu you may have a good point there. To have the flexibility of focal lengths could well be the crucial factor, as you say otherwise the photos may all end up feeling the same due to the fixed focal length. The only problem is I am really enjoying the X70 currently, and find it great fun to use.... really not sure what to do.

@Thunderbird010 in terms of the XA2, my only reservation with this camera is the fact I read about the sensor not being as good as the X-trans as the other Fuji x series cameras?

Last edited:
Back