Full frame camera's snd lenses

Name
duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys
I have a eos 350d and i would like to get a 17-85 lens but the company selling the lens i looked at said it will not work with full frame cameras like the 1d according to canon all lenses work with all cameras has any one had any problems like this ?

All EF lenses work with all EOS cameras but EF-S lenses (like the 17-85) for crop sensor cameras (and project a smaller image circle) don't fit on full frame EOS cameras.

The shop is correct

All of Canon's EF lenses will work with every EOS slr, both film and digital.

The lens you are referring to is an EF-S lens. These lenses only work with the small sensor digital slrs. There are two reasons it won't work with a larger sensor canera. Firstly the lens's image circle is too small and secondly there is the riisk of the mirror hitting the back of the lens.

The 350D is a crop camera so the lens will work fine on it. If you don't plan on going FF anytime soon I'd not worry and buy the lens. I much prefer to have the "best" lens for the format rather than worry too much about possible/future upgrades.

The 17-85 lens will fit and function correctly on your 350D.
It's never been seen as one of Canons better lenses though and I would suggest the Canon 15-85 if you can afford it, a much better lens on a crop body.

Personally I don't really hold with the "in case you go full frame" argument, and I say that as both a FF and crop owner.

Buy the lens with the appropriate focal length for your requirements now.

Cheers guys thats cleared things up a bit.i done quick google and anything with basically 5 6 7 or 1d is ff and way out of my league any way probly be anything upton a 550 canon if i do upgrade :)

The 15-85 is an excellent lens but the price is getting into L lens territory. That's fine, if you can afford it, and it'll stand you in good stead for any crop body upgrades in the future. If it's a bit too pricey, look for a used 17-85mm. It's not in the same class of course, but I've had good results from mine and it's a handy zoom range. I wouldn't pay full retail for one though.

Cheers guys thats cleared things up a bit.i done quick google and anything with basically 5 6 7 or 1d is ff and way out of my league any way probly be anything upton a 550 canon if i do upgrade :)

Be careful, the 7D isn't FF, it's APS-C.

The 15-85 is an excellent lens but the price is getting into L lens territory. That's fine, if you can afford it, and it'll stand you in good stead for any crop body upgrades in the future. If it's a bit too pricey, look for a used 17-85mm. It's not in the same class of course, but I've had good results from mine and it's a handy zoom range. I wouldn't pay full retail for one though.

I wouldn't either it was a used one lol 99.9% of my shots are from my 28.80 from my eos 5 and a 75-300 i just needed something for car shows and things like that as with people around it was a bit of a struggle and even at 28mm i was doing the walk back to fit everything in lol

.....look for a used 17-85mm. It's not in the same class of course, but I've had good results from mine and it's a handy zoom range. I wouldn't pay full retail for one though.

^^ That. I know sometimes budget is a BIG issue. I used a 17-85USM on my old 450D for a good year or so with good results. I bought it for £185, bought a Kood CPL to use with it, then sold it 12/18 months later for £210 :)

Back