1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jamie Robin Photo

Jamie Robin Photo

Name:
    Jamie
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi everyone

Just looking for some advice.

I'm in the market to get a wide angle lens for my full frame Nikon, any recommendations?

Will need to be used and looking to spend between £300-£400 could push to £500 if needs be.

I would be using the wide angle for car interiors and dramatic exterior shots/rolling shots. Preferably something with minimal distortion although lightroom could probably do a good job correcting this. Not bothered as to whether it is good in low light or not as it'll be tripod mounted and I wouldn't be shooting wide open too often. What lenses do you tend you use for such images?

At the lower end of the budget I have seen the Nikon 18-35mm (D version) getting pretty decent reviews, has anyone used this lens or have some samples as this can be had for around £300!

I have however also been looking at the Nikon 20mm 2.8d and Nikon 24mm 2.8d primes, are these worth a look at? As I have only used wide angle and ultra wide angles on a crop body before so this is new for me as is the world of full frame. Still getting to grips with it!

2. mrgubby

mrgubby

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi Jamie, I think you'd get more replies if you asked the mods to move this into the talk equipment area :)

3. f/2.8

f/2.8

Name:
    Tommy
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Cosina 19-35 is pretty good for very little money.

18-35 G is well within budget and very good would avoid the D version it's a bit rubbish.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  4. Jamie Robin Photo

Jamie Robin Photo

Name:
    Jamie
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Thank you @mrgubby I'm still fairly new to the forum! How can I go about requesting the post to be moved, have you got an @ for a mod?

5. Jamie Robin Photo

Jamie Robin Photo

Name:
    Jamie
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I shall check out the cosina aswell then thank you! Also I'll keep an eye out for a decently priced G thank you for that!

6. Nawty

Nawty

Name:
    Ned
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The Nikon 18-35D is actually ok as long as you're not shooting seascapes or anything with a flat horizon or straight lines as it has some funky distortion at 18mm.

But still, the obvious answer is the G version.

7. Jamie Robin Photo

Jamie Robin Photo

Name:
    Jamie
    Edit My Images:
    No
    After a quick search the G seems to be ever so slightly over budget. Is there much in the way of IQ to warrant the extra money?

8. Nawty

Nawty

Name:
    Ned
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

I've not owned the G so not really placed to comment, I never had an issue with the sharpness of the D on a D700 but if low distortion is a requirement then I would avoid the D.

Sharpness when viewed at 100% depends a lot on how many megapixels you have, on the 12MP D700 pretty much every lens looked sharp at 100%, not so with the D610 I had. However, if you aren't printing or viewing large then this doesn't really matter and there is much more to an image than absolute sharpness.

9. ancient_mariner

ancient_mariner

Name:
    Toni
    Edit My Images:
    No
    The older Sigma 21-35 is a good lens, and can be had cheaply used - typically £70-£110. I use one with a D610 and it's surprisingly sharp with relatively little distortion. Only hiccup could be whether it's wide enough for you.

Example
    [​IMG]Clevedonpier-3561 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

10. Jamie Robin Photo

Jamie Robin Photo

Name:
    Jamie
    Edit My Images:
    No
    It will be used on a d700 as thats what I bought to get into the FX world and I'm really loving it haha!

11. Jamie Robin Photo

Jamie Robin Photo

Name:
    Jamie
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Also added to the list of lenses to look out for! Quite impressive sharpness in that image!

12. f/2.8

f/2.8

Name:
    Tommy
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Perhaps none around at the right price at the moment but often see used versions going for around the £400 mark they are only £550 new from the grey importers.

13. Jamie Robin Photo

Jamie Robin Photo

Name:
    Jamie
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Maybe I'll hold out for the moment and wait for one a good used price and condition to come up. Never used a grey importer is there customs charges when it comes in or is that usually included in price?

14. cambsno

cambsno

Name:
    Simon
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Nikon 20mm 1.8 AFS is a great lens, £400 or so used and I found it better than the older 2.8 version. You do have the Nikon 16-35 f4, great lens but would be £500 used, maybe a tad more so could be out of budget.

15. Mintchocs

Mintchocs

Name:
    Clint
    Edit My Images:
    Yes