Fun with Red Squirrels!

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
We are currently on holiday on Brownsea Island so we are getting plenty of time to play with the squirrels!

New Mascot!
New_Mascot.jpg

My Little Helper!
Little_Helper.jpg

No need for the 600mm!
Nut_Bag.jpg

Stand well back when doing the wide angle close up shots!
Close_up.jpg

As you can see from the 3rd shot, he was close enough to switch to the 100mm Macro, will put those pics in another thread!

#2 is a winner ... newspapers would pay for that.

They are great and looks like you your bean bag filling is a winner :)

This is playful and brilliant!

I savoured each and prefer them all!
Thanks for the early morning pleasure!

…so, we have the same bean bag!
I have a lot more from that NL company.

No2 is a cracker of a shot- I love Brownsea, the IN place for Reds in the south west

Les

Charming set of images. But more than anything, that must have been one fabulous experience to be so close to these creatures.....nice.

This is a brilliant set of photos - well done, I bet that you were really pleased with them.

Amazing photos! #1 and #2 are epic! Can't wait to see more. :)

I've actually been planning to go there and photograph the squirrels once the weather gets a bit warmer. I've never been there, so could you give me some tips on what to prepare for, please?

Like, how do you get them to come so close to you? Do you feed them or is it luck, or are they all tame? (Are we allowed to feed them at all?)

And I've only got a 24-120mm lens. Will I definitely need a longer zoom if I want nice close up shots? I've been trying to photograph grey squirrels at my local park and getting rubbish results because I can't get close enough to them. :(

Thanks for the comments, glad you liked them!

For those that haven't been to Brownsea yet, getting close to them is pretty easy to do but a helluva lot easier when the island isn't open to the general public!

The hotspot is a little clearing directly behind the church, where it almost looks like a little squirrel playground with plenty of logs and mossy stumps to choose from, go for ones without flat tops as they just don't look as nice in the pictures, go for a rotten one with plenty of moss on.

As you can make out from the 3rd image, the secret here is peanuts! Not dry roasted of course, just natural nuts, place them strategically behind a bit of moss so they are out of shot and sit down or lie down on the ground and wait.

Get there as early as you can or as late as you can for better light, be prepared to hang around for 2-3 hours getting the best shots.

If you have human company with you, try and agree to only put nuts in one place and all take the same shot, otherwise you're just gonna lose your model!

The bottom image has my 12-24mm on and the plan was to sit back with a 3m remote cable to get the wide angle close ups, as you can see, whilst setting it up I didn't need to use it as they just ran in and ignored me! Another time I ended up sitting with my legs round that stump, just sat there with the camera hand held and got rid of the tripod. Just don't make any sudden moves and you'll be fine.

In Autumn, swap over to hazelnuts in shells as they bury them for the winter.

Most of all be patient, take your time and good luck!

PS, even the best laid plans can go wrong.....

Wrong_Side_of_The_Camera.jpg

Last edited:
What an amazing set of photographs, you must have had a lot of fun with these.

What an amazing set of photographs, you must have had a lot of fun with these.

Amazing fun!

It was like being a kid again. kept happy all week with just a bag of nuts (or two, I actually had hazelnuts as well but ended up eating them as they preferred the peanuts)!

Thanks for the tips! Very very helpful! :) um, that last photo.... Not sure if that's you or your friend, but is that a squirrel running up someone's back? :eek: I would kill to have a squirrel run up my back! :eek::D

Thanks for the tips! Very very helpful! :) um, that last photo.... Not sure if that's you or your friend, but is that a squirrel running up someone's back? :eek: I would kill to have a squirrel run up my back! :eek::D

Yup, that's me, a very rare occasion to see me in front of the camera! It's actually a selfie, my left hand had a remote trigger in it!

The second time it happened I was sat in front of the cottage having a coffee, leaning forwards whilst on my phone and felt one jump on my back, didn't even know they went that far from the woods!

Yup, that's me, a very rare occasion to see me in front of the camera! It's actually a selfie, my left hand had a remote trigger in it!

The second time it happened I was sat in front of the cottage having a coffee, leaning forwards whilst on my phone and felt one jump on my back, didn't even know they went that far from the woods!
Wow, you lucky sod! You're a squirrel magnet! Please invite me next time you go there! :LOL:

Great images, he's a lovely little chap.

Awesome!!

I do Love a RED!

These are fabulous

PENTAX CAMERAS so easy a squirrel can take a great shot!:D

Blimey outside of a sports field and a wedding, a great reason to take a second camera and lens, lovely shots.

WOW, fantastic we love Red Squirrels, your're very lucky

Thay're incredible, and so is that lens. What one is it?

Back