Fungi 2 (Mycena chlorophos)

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
I'll have trouble thinking up new titles for these, so I've gone all boring and just called them fungi 2. They deserve better, so I'll add a name. They still deserve better as their parents only spoke Latin.

These are some of the most luminous fungi in the world. They are so bright sometimes, that the can used to read by or find your way on a dark night. They can be like little clusters of stars on the forest floor. They are found in South East Asia and particularly in sub-tropical and tropical regions of Australia.

_H9A5776-X2.jpg

DSC01659-X2.jpg

_H9A4784-X2.jpg

174Z8929-helicon-X2.jpg

2010_0023823-helicon-1-X2.jpg

What they look like in daylight and darkness
_0013478-X2.jpg

_0013475-merge-X2.jpg

Now thats some glow, its the photos that make the thread not the title.
Lovely shots and these photos show what / how much glow they give off.

Now thats some glow, its the photos that make the thread not the title.
Lovely shots and these photos show what / how much glow they give off.
Thanks Graham. Luminous fungi takes some setup to do, so I don't bother very often. But it is often worth the effort.

They look unnatural (I'm not saying they are though), isn't nature amazing.

They look unnatural (I'm not saying they are though), isn't nature amazing.
It's probably near to monochromatic light (with some background light). It's hard to get it looking truly natural as the camera sees better than our eyes do.

…fascinating world, visually pleasing! (y)(y)(y)

Nice work Steve and a fascinating subject keep em coming

They say every day is a school day, I learnt something today - never knew there were luminescent fungi :) great stuff Steve.

WOW, those are beautiful, nature at it's finest and caught very well on camera, well worth the effort.

Thanks to all. I have gradually developed a purpose to my fungi photography, and that is to help show people just how amazing fungi is. Did you know that fungi can have 36,000 different sexes? And that mating can take years? No wonder these mushrooms glow in the dark.

Fascinating work Steve! They are really interesting never knew there was such a thing truely amazing....
Reminds me of the colour in some of my Aurora shots so there's a name for your fungi!(y)

Fascinating work Steve! They are really interesting never knew there was such a thing truely amazing....
Reminds me of the colour in some of my Aurora shots so there's a name for your fungi!(y)
Thanks Steve. About 80,000 fungi do have names, which is pretty good since we (Homo sapiens) only have one. Of course that leaves the rest of the estimated 4,000,000 species that are un-named.

Back