Fungi photography tips please.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I'm quite lucky that I have an old woods practically on my doorstep that throws up a lot of different fungi, I'd like to photograph them as I have always had an interest in fungi since I was a lad. It is quite a dark woods so I was wondering if you good people could offer up some tips and advice on photographing them in low light please? I will be using a Sigma 105mm macro lens and have a macro ring flash if that helps? Thank you in advance.

Use a tripod, set the camera in manual with a cable release to suit and experiment with the shutter speed and aperture until you get the image your after, the subject isn't likely to move to plenty of time to also play with DOF to suit

Hi all,
I'm quite lucky that I have an old woods practically on my doorstep that throws up a lot of different fungi, I'd like to photograph them as I have always had an interest in fungi since I was a lad. It is quite a dark woods so I was wondering if you good people could offer up some tips and advice on photographing them in low light please? I will be using a Sigma 105mm macro lens and have a macro ring flash if that helps? Thank you in advance.

The main contributor here with some wonderful fungi photography is @Bollygum check his work and as I have tagged him here hopefully he will drop by with any feedback? :)

Reactions: Nod
The main contributor here with some wonderful fungi photography is @Bollygum check his work and as I have tagged him here hopefully he will drop by with any feedback? :)
Thank you for that, I've seen some of his work he shot in India, fantastic shots. I've posted on that thread so hopefully he'll be able to offer some tips.

Use a tripod, set the camera in manual with a cable release to suit and experiment with the shutter speed and aperture until you get the image your after, the subject isn't likely to move to plenty of time to also play with DOF to suit

Thank you for the tips.

If you don't have a cable release then you can try using the camera's self-timer (if it has one) instead for subjects that aren't likely to move, blow about, run off, etc. Don't forget to turn the timer off as the first thing you do when you've finished though, or you'll wonder what's wrong with your camera next time you come to use it. Not that I'd ever do anything that silly, of course! :whistle: :rolleyes:

If you don't have a cable release then you can try using the camera's self-timer (if it has one) instead for subjects that aren't likely to move, blow about, run off, etc. Don't forget to turn the timer off as the first thing you do when you've finished though, or you'll wonder what's wrong with your camera next time you come to use it. Not that I'd ever do anything that silly, of course! :whistle: :rolleyes:

Haha, I'll make sure I don't make that mistake! I have a cable release, it was the first accessory I bought along with a standard tripod and a mini tripod to get low down to fungi on the ground.

Fungi on the woodland floor... you might like to look at using beanbags to get the camera low, I also use a couple of small daylight balanced LED's (manfrotto) for some additional lighting, you can see what you are doing and how the light is falling, combine with some diffusers and reflectors and the result will hopefully be nicer than trying to use a ringflash.

Back