Funny comments you've received when out with the camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if it's a joke?
Of course I wouldn't agree with them being worthless. They can still cook and iron

Hey Bruce, let's hear some of your racist jokes. Give us one about black people stealing cars!

ho ho ho

Those Pakistanis and their curry, eh, Bruce?

Pfft. Feminism seems to be just another way for insecure women to assert dominance. Women are, generally, far more sexist than men. But that's another conversation.

Do you think it might seem that way because you haven't got the slightest clue what it is or what it has done or continues to do for women's rights the world over?

I was out a while ago with my 5D3 and Sigma 150-500 OS fully extended with the hood on. A guy comes past and said "You must of been successful today then, I can't see any more tanks about". I just had to laugh.

Outstanding :)

I used to have one of those and named it the overcompensator!

I'm sure I had a couple of comments but nothing funny.

Well there was the one guy who was insistent that my Fuji S3 was in fact a Pentax (it had a Pentax strap as I have hundreds of them lying around!) and was most shocked when I handed it to him and it turned out to be a Fuji.

Hey Bruce, let's hear some of your racist jokes. Give us one about black people stealing cars!

ho ho ho

Those Pakistanis and their curry, eh, Bruce?

Wow, there's a jump
Not sure about the pakistani curries, but the indians, chinese and thai are excellent
You been on the batter lad?
My post was not a depiction of my life style choices, but an attempt at humour. Which was the original point
I dare say I could give you plenty racist jokes, all aimed at my nation, but I wont jump up and down if they're intended as jokes, I'll accept them as such.
Just the same as I will about baldness, being a thick construction worker or any other topic
I like jokes
You sound like a fun guy, please share

Do you think it might seem that way because you haven't got the slightest clue what it is or what it has done or continues to do for women's rights the world over?

Wow...

I'm female, not a moron. I know exactly what has improved for women through the development of women's rights.

My point is I'm so sick of women always setting double standards, if you want equality go for EQUALITY, not this oneupmanship that is perpetually pushed forward under the guise of women's rights. For example, campaigning for inclusion in men's gyms, claiming it is sexist for them to have their own then immediately opening women's only gyms and banning males attendance... Hypocrisy much?

The women's movement is a good thing, but it has on many occasions gone way too far, if you can't see that, you're blinded.

Wow...

I'm female, not a moron. I know exactly what has improved for women through the development of women's rights.

My point is I'm so sick of women always setting double standards, if you want equality go for EQUALITY, not this oneupmanship that is perpetually pushed forward under the guise of women's rights. For example, campaigning for inclusion in men's gyms, claiming it is sexist for them to have their own then immediately opening women's only gyms and banning males attendance... Hypocrisy much?

The women's movement is a good thing, but it has on many occasions gone way too far, if you can't see that, you're blinded.

I fully understand that, however that has nothing to do with the comment I challenged which was suggesting that if you are a women and not intelligent then you had better be very pretty otherwise your life is worthless (zero contribution to society).
Do you agree with that comment? Do you find it funny?

As for the women's 'movement', it still has a long way to go. Even in the UK we don't see full equality yet, look at a few other countries around the world and it is like going back 100 years or more in UK terms.

Wow...

I get that you're a female - your name and signature kind of gave it away. You think your gender gives you more right to decide whether one of the most important movements in the last century has any value or not?

What's your point about men's gyms? Are you saying that the same groups campaigning are the same people then immediately opening female gyms? I doubt that. What I think you mean is that some women petition to be included in men's gyms, and some other, completely unrelated women open up women's gyms.

That comment is exactly the kind of thing that allows negativity to breed. If left unchallenged, anyone who reads that thinks that there's a bunch of feminists opening women-only gyms while campaigning for inclusion in men-only gyms. It's not happening, is it?

On SOME occasions, SOME individuals use feminism for their own agendas. You think all the work done over the last 100 years to bring equality between genders has been overshadowed by the people you refer to?

You think that because of a small few, you get to label an entire movement as "just a way for insecure women to assert dominance". Is that how you'd describe the suffragettes? Elizabeth Blackwell? Lucy Stone?

Generalisations are horrible, and for some reason, it's still acceptable to make them about women, or anything they're associated with, which is disgusting.

I fully understand that, however that has nothing to do with the comment I challenged which was suggesting that if you are a women and not intelligent then you had better be very pretty otherwise your life is worthless (zero contribution to society).
Do you agree with that comment? Do you find it funny?

As for the women's 'movement', it still has a long way to go. Even in the UK we don't see full equality yet, look at a few other countries around the world and it is like going back 100 years or more in UK terms.

I took it as tongue in cheek, not a serious comment, and actually I did find it funny.... But that doesn't make me a bad person or my opinion any less valid. I do find comments like that humorous because I know that the reality of who I am and what I have achieved and will achieve in the future will make comments like that look stupid. I guess I just don't see the big deal about it and I think you're over-reacting. I'm sorry if that offends you, but that's just the way I see it.

Wow, there's a jump
Not sure about the pakistani curries, but the indians, chinese and thai are excellent
You been on the batter lad?
My post was not a depiction of my life style choices, but an attempt at humour. Which was the original point
I dare say I could give you plenty racist jokes, all aimed at my nation, but I wont jump up and down if they're intended as jokes, I'll accept them as such.
Just the same as I will about baldness, being a thick construction worker or any other topic
I like jokes
You sound like a fun guy, please share

Don't hide behind your ethnic background like the woman above is hiding behind her gender - there's no jump. It's not even a sidestep. You're perfectly comfortable making 'humorous' negative generalisations about an entire gender, so what's wrong with you making them about a race? Why is that so different?

Why do I have to come on an internet forum and see quasi-literates making generalisations from the 1980's? I've got a daughter, and I don't like the idea that you get to make a joke at her expense just because of her gender. I bet you've got a witty retort about how she's going to grow up to be a great dish-washer or sewer, or something, right?

You think that a joke about women ironing is still funny after the 200 millionth time it's been made this month alone?

You're on the cutting edge of comedy, bro! You on the stand up circuit? Louis CK must be quaking in his boots!

I took it as tongue in cheek, not a serious comment, and actually I did find it funny.... But that doesn't make me a bad person or my opinion any less valid. I do find comments like that humorous because I know that the reality of who I am and what I have achieved and will achieve in the future will make comments like that look stupid. I guess I just don't see the big deal about it and I think you're over-reacting. I'm sorry if that offends you, but that's just the way I see it.

Hardly over-reacting, I just put a one line comment to start with to make a point. And it doesn't offend me, I just find it a very out dated view but I guess the Bernard Manning school of humour has not yet fully died out.

Guy at a wedding last week was speaking to me about how he always wanted to get into wedding photography but never did pursue it.

Then asked why I needed more that one lens and 'if you spend more on a camera does it mean it can take more photos'

Don't hide behind your ethnic background like the woman above is hiding behind her gender - there's no jump. It's not even a sidestep. You're perfectly comfortable making 'humorous' negative generalisations about an entire gender, so what's wrong with you making them about a race? Why is that so different?

Why do I have to come on an internet forum and see quasi-literates making generalisations from the 1980's? I've got a daughter, and I don't like the idea that you get to make a joke at her expense just because of her gender. I bet you've got a witty retort about how she's going to grow up to be a great dish-washer or sewer, or something, right?

You think that a joke about women ironing is still funny after the 200 millionth time it's been made this month alone?

You're on the cutting edge of comedy, bro! You on the stand up circuit? Louis CK must be quaking in his boots!

Keep your tights on
If you can really get that offended by a comment or joke on a forum how do you survive in London.?
What an over reaction, what a drama queen
Hide behind my ethnic background? What am I hiding exactly?
In fact don't bother answering that, I don't think your keyboard can take any more and I don't think the thread needs any more of this mock offended drivel

It is nothing to do with being offended, I don't have to be offended to challenge something.

Apologies if I stopping you from your weekly viewing of reruns from "The Comedians"

Keep your tights on
If you can really get that offended by a comment or joke on a forum how do you survive in London.?
What an over reaction, what a drama queen
Hide behind my ethnic background? What am I hiding exactly?
In fact don't bother answering that, I don't think your keyboard can take any more and I don't think the thread needs any more of this mock offended drivel

I was unaware that London was the hub of sexist humour. Maybe it hasn't reached me in Kensington, yet.

I'm not offended in the slightest, I just can't stand the notion that it's OK to make a negative generalisation about females, knowing you would be banned in a second if you made the same generalisation about a particular race.

There's no overreaction here. Why do you get to joke about women being consigned to the kitchen or the washroom? How is that different from joking about black people being consigned to the back of the bus or separate toilets?

This is the thing people like you don't understand, and it's exactly why political correctness should be observed at all times. You're reinforcing negative stereotypes that no longer exist. It's about things being a fit subject for humour. The fact that something's a joke doesn't make it OK. I don't know anyone in my life who makes such crass, dated and unfunny generalisations. It makes me cringe.

Women should be doing the ironing! Brilliant! That's all they're good for, right guys LOL!

I see something like that, and I look at your English writing level, and then I think of my girlfriend with a degree in law and psychology, and her sister with a masters from Cambridge, and I don't get why you get to make a joke about them. Why do you? Just because you're male?

I want to post on this forum without the worry that someone may come on here and think I'm like you or any of the other "Gary's" and "Trev's" who think sexism is a fit subject for humour on a public board.

Last edited:
I was unaware that London was the hub of sexist humour. Maybe it hasn't reached me in Kensington, yet.

I'm not offended in the slightest, I just can't stand the notion that it's OK to make a negative generalisation about females, knowing you would be banned in a second if you made the same generalisation about a particular race.

There's no overreaction here. Why do you get to joke about women being consigned to the kitchen or the washroom? How is that different from joking about black people being consigned to the back of the bus or separate toilets?

This is the thing people like you don't understand, and it's exactly why political correctness should be observed at all times. You're reinforcing negative stereotypes that no longer exist. It's about things being a fit subject for humour. The fact that something's a joke doesn't make it OK. I don't know anyone in my life who makes such crass, dated and unfunny generalisations. It makes me cringe.

Women should be doing the ironing! Brilliant! That's all they're good for, right guys LOL!

I see something like that, and I look at your English writing level, and then I think of my girlfriend with a degree in law and psychology, and her sister with a masters from Cambridge, and I don't get why you get to make a joke about them. Why do you? Just because you're male?

I want to post on this forum without the worry that someone may come on here and think I'm like you or any of the other "Gary's" and "Trev's" who think sexism is a fit subject for humour on a public board.

:LOL:

I'm curious, John ... are you trying to get in touch with your feminine side?

Thats better darlin
Nice attempt at humour there, much better x

Good, now back to the funny stories
Gary and Fanny, we sound like a nice couple, don't you think?

I don't think you can be an effective portrait photographer without being in touch with it. What point are you trying to make?

Well, it just struck me that you seem to be taking great pains to champion the cause for women on this thread even though you're a bloke. I wasn't really trying to make any point (I don't think). I was simply curious as to your thinking.

My favourite comment when out with a camera is "can you still get film for that?"

I once answered with "No, I just like the sound of the shutter!"

The person asking was the driver of our local bus company's vintage Bristol bus. Our conversation prompted him to buy some film for the Agfa Isolette camera he had at home but hadn't used for many years.

Steve.

Come on people, back on topic - Stupid / funny comments you've received!

A few years back I was at Silverstone F1, up comes some idiot and said ''You need a video camera for F1, not a film camera'' - bearing in mind I was using my 5dmk2 with my 70-200 F/2.8. My wife got a comment yesterday when she went down to Hamble with her Bigma from a complete idiot ''Don't you need a license for a lens like that?''

That's not the comment that was made. There was no mention of her worth being anything to do with her gender, just her apparent stupidity. The same comment could as easily have been made about a dumb male waiter, substituting "handsome" or "a hunk" or whatever for "pretty". She was called out for being dumb, not for being female.

The sexism comes from you, in trying to make every comment directed at a female a sexist issue. Equality means equality, including the right to be ridiculed for being thick.

If you really want to complain about the comment, take the "stupid behaviour does not indicate stupid person" line. That'd be valid in light of the comment made, though would still be missing the point that it was JUST -- A -- JOKE.

You want to see sexism; watch a soap powder advert on TV and see how men are potrayed as idiots around the house.

Well, it just struck me that you seem to be taking great pains to champion the cause for women on this thread even though you're a bloke. I wasn't really trying to make any point (I don't think). I was simply curious as to your thinking.

How strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back