Furbarred ??

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
So, I bought this Nikon 20mm af for £7.50 in July, the guy wouldn't take a penny less (tough carbooter):LOL:, he said it af'd fine and made nice images.
Anyway, I see the rear element damage and think, wthell, its £7.50 it might not show although rear element stuffs usually does.
So I shoot it a couple of times over the next few days, they didn't look right in preview but it wasn't till I got home that I could see the fuzzy world this 20mm lives in, put it in my bag and forgot about it.
That was 5 months and a few lens swaps ago, today I find myself without a wide angle except this 20, which is perfect in every other way besides the coating marks.
Do I chuck it and buy a new 20.
I could get a new one for £200 or so, Nikon might want that for a repair ?
Do I attack it with various kitchen chemicals as chosen by my girl to try and remove the coating and regain a smidgeon of sharp....:LOL:
I like that last one..its just a doorstop as it is.

sbmvww.jpg

5btwft.jpg

347ehdg.jpg

30bpv0n.jpg

I think its be rattlin about with no lens cap on in the bottom of some nutters bag or something

i'll give you a tenner for it then :D

i would say try and get it recoated it may come in less than the new lens?

Well at £7.50 you got a bargain, I paid £120 for mine (although mine is just a _bit_ sharper!!)

I wonder if you could get an old MF lens, and just replace the rear element yourself?

I reckon you'd be able to get it repaired for a decent price, certainly worth repairing as its quite a nice lens.

I though the filter was worth £7.50....just about.
The 20 is a great lens, but its worth nothing at the moment, might have to look in to a repair then, and save the cillit bang and bleach mix for the toilet..:LOL:

Fixation are more expensive than going direct to Nikon!

Try Lehmans, they have branches all over the country - yellow pages for your nearest one.

A rear element like that isn't as expensive as you would think. £60?

*update* email sent to Lehmanns on Monday and Fixation on Tuesday.

I have a Nikon 20mm f/2.8 AF lens with scratches in either the glass or the coating on the rear element, it looks as though it has been sliding about in the bottom of somebodys bag with no rear cap fitted.
Its a well used lens but I think it might be worth saving, I wonder if you could give me a quote for a replacement of the rear element, or whatever you think the best course of action would be, its definately no good as it is.
The attatchment is a close-up jpg of the rear element.
Kindest regards
John.

Good Morning

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your 20mm F2.8af lens. We can replace the rear element, the cost of the part is £29.61 and the labour charge would be £55 these charges are plus vat and before examination. All our details are on our website www.fixationuk.com

Regards
Barry Edmonds

So next day reply from Fixation, nothing from Lehmanns as yet.
Its gonna be over £100 after the shipping and wotnot at Fixation I would think.

I though the filter was worth £7.50....just about.
The 20 is a great lens, but its worth nothing at the moment, might have to look in to a repair then, and save the cillit bang and bleach mix for the toilet..:LOL:

Dumb question time, have you tested it without the filter? I ask because the entire images look evenly soft, like you would get with a soft focus filter fitted and whilst that isnt one, are you sure the issues are caused by the rear element issues - though i know they wont be helping any. They actually look like the images I get from my dodgy 70-300, which got dropped and now th epics look just like those :bonk:

Dumb question time, have you tested it without the filter? I ask because the entire images look evenly soft, like you would get with a soft focus filter fitted and whilst that isnt one, are you sure the issues are caused by the rear element issues - though i know they wont be helping any. They actually look like the images I get from my dodgy 70-300, which got dropped and now th epics look just like those :bonk:

No I haven't tested it without the filter before, but I just did.
The damage is pretty widespread across the glass, unless something has gone awry inside..:shrug:..
I think in all honesty, its most likely to be the back element scuffing, if it was the front it might be lost wide open, but back elements are buggers for showing faults in the glass.

20mm @ F/8-

2efrgk5.jpg

50mm @ f/8

2lc89c8.jpg

Looks like Michael Bolton!

I'd give Fixation a go, tbh even if it costs £100 to fix, for the £8 you paid, I can't see how you can go wrong... ?

Or you could just ask Fixation to sell your the part, and fit it yourself, a rear element will be dead easy to do yourself.. jewellers screwdriver set is all you'll need.

Or you could just ask Fixation to sell your the part, and fit it yourself, a rear element will be dead easy to do yourself.. jewellers screwdriver set is all you'll need.

could be the way forward.... the reair that might just solve the problem, without the 3 figure repair sum and not so much to lose if it does turn out to be damaged elsewhere as well and still renders it a paperweight :shrug:

forgot very reasonable charges as well

i was advised to go here rather than nikon who have long delays and big bills

Done ! ditchdigger...(y)

*waits*

I really want Lehmanns to get back to me too..:shrug:

Looks like Michael Bolton!

All slightly camp wolverines look like Michael Bolton, even sounds like him..:puke:

I agree with Yv, it does look like circular aberation to me besides whatever the rear element is doing.

Right, thats two, I'm gonna have to shoot some print then or target, I don't have a fullsize image suitable for pixel peeping through two possible faults.
Its important, don't wanna do £100 for it to come back with other issues, or for the repairers to notice and have to double up on the cost.
I might get to use cillit bang after all...:)

Sorry joxby, I am no expert, but I would expect a certain amount of uneveness in the image quality looking at the rear element damage, which could be a totally wrong expectation, I just don't know. Maybe someone else can comment, but would the defects be more 'defined' if you close the aperture right down to f22, like dust/damage on front elements?

I can see through the front element, there's no dust/marks nothing, its perfect.
The only visible damage is on the rear, but there could be other problems mechanical, I mean, it came from a carboot, and who ever owned it last didn't take much care of it, coulda been chucked down the stairs for all I know.
I don't think f/22 will help prove anything, barrel roll will show up in a target frame at any app.

Back