Gadgets - Sony ebook reader

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
I want. I want. I want.

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/reader-ebook

sony-laytest-ebook-reader.jpg

They had one in Waterstones today and I've been a little skeptical of these things but the quality of the screen was amazing. Literally, it was like reading from paper (albeit slightly grey paper). I would read ALL the time if I had one of these! I'm buying one when I get paid next.

my friend's step mum has one of these. it's a cool gadget but i still think it's stupidly expensive though, then you have to buy the books on top of that aswell.

my friend's step mum has one of these. it's a cool gadget but i still think it's stupidly expensive though, then you have to buy the books on top of that aswell.

I've seen it for less than 200 quid. Yes, it's a fair bit of cash for a book, but there's a wealth of free books available! You can get pretty much any "classic" for free (and legitimately so).

I use my palm pilot, it's smaller, lighter, cheaper and does a whole lot more.

Electronic readers are the way of the future but they have a way to go yet. Star trek size and style would be about ideal I reckon.

Bought my wife one when the first came out after seeing it on the Gadget Show. She loves it as she is a big reader,she doesn't need it to be anything else. Got it straight from Sony, price already recouped in money saved buying cheaper e-books. Although we still buy hard backed autobiographies.

I've seen it for less than 200 quid. Yes, it's a fair bit of cash for a book, but there's a wealth of free books available! You can get pretty much any "classic" for free (and legitimately so).

the free classics come on a disk with most of them and the paid for books are not really cheaper than the paper version and loads of titles are not available in the uk. I looked into this a while back, frankly until the copyright people make the book available in the UK its pointless.

Keep in mind the Sony e-book reader isn't compatible with Mac computers, in case you're using a Mac.

Also, if you're just after a reader, then it may well be worth looking into other personal digital assistants (PDA), as they may have more features, bigger memory capacity and more functionality.

There are loads of sites where you can get free, legitimate, e-books. MobiPocket is one of the best.

As for paid e-books, though their prices are very close, if not identical, to paperback copies; the whole idea is to save on shelf-space and the practicality of transporting your books & documents with easy referencing (thesaurus and dictionary).

i wonder how the ebook reader would cope with my toilet reading habits, i,e pick it up read a page, throw it on the floor, wipe my bot bot with some loo roll, stand on the book on the way and leave it to go curly in the steam from the shower...!

Keep in mind the Sony e-book reader isn't compatible with Mac computers, in case you're using a Mac.

Also, if you're just after a reader, then it may well be worth looking into other personal digital assistants (PDA), as they may have more features, bigger memory capacity and more functionality.

There are loads of sites where you can get free, legitimate, e-books. MobiPocket is one of the best.

As for paid e-books, though their prices are very close, if not identical, to paperback copies; the whole idea is to save on shelf-space and the practicality of transporting your books & documents with easy referencing (thesaurus and dictionary).

I run Parallels/VMware Fusion so I'm not worried about compatibility. I am just after a reader but none of the PDAs compare for reading with the Sony device. The screens on PDAs aren't big enough is the main one, the quality of text isn't anywhere close to as good as the Sony device either. I've got an iPhone which suits me fine for my PDA requirements but trying to use it as an ebook reader is just tiring. I've been wanting an ebook reader since about 1994 and only recently has anything come out close to my wishes. The Sony ebook reader just looks brilliant.

Project Gutenberg pretty much contains any ebooks I might want to read, plus the numerous PDFs I've got which would be really useful to load onto the device.

I'm getting one!

I love the idea of an e-ink ebook reader, but I think that the current ones are too expensive. I'm keeping a watching brief atm :)

i wonder how the ebook reader would cope with my toilet reading habits, i,e pick it up read a page, throw it on the floor, wipe my bot bot with some loo roll, stand on the book on the way and leave it to go curly in the steam from the shower...!

I know a lot of people tend to read while on the loo but personally i find it just plain gross. :puke:

Far too much information!!!:eek:

Well the reader looks good and is by far the best product, but it IS made by SONY; so some special conditions may apply

1) The batteries will cost £50 each - (uses 6)

2) You will need a special charger for each battery at £25 each (x6)

3) The chargers run on special "Sony" electricity which you can only buy from the "SONY" store

4) The Sony store will ALWAYS be nearly out of stock so you will only ever be able to buy 5 batteries at any one time

5) If you succeed in buying 6 batteries only 5 chargers will be available (and one will have a fault)

6) You will need to use the system in the "correct" daylight - failure to do so will invalidate the guarantee

7) The product will fail 1 day after the guarantee has expired

8) You will be supplied with a free phone number to call if the product becomes faulty – the customer support assistant will only answer after you have been on the phone for 30 minutes but the call will unexpectedly cut off 30 seconds after you first start to speak to the customer support assistant. The assistant will of course speak English….

Although not the version you speak… or can understand

etc

just kidding Sony - we love your marketing really Sony...:LOL:

I agree with 2 things in this thread:

and

Well the reader looks good and is by far the best product, but it IS made by SONY; so some special conditions may apply

3) The chargers run on special "Sony" electricity which you can only buy from the "SONY" store
4) The Sony store will ALWAYS be nearly out of stock so you will only ever be able to buy 5 batteries at any one time
5) If you succeed in buying 6 batteries only 5 chargers will be available (and one will have a fault)
6) You will need to use the system in the "correct" daylight - failure to do so will invalidate the guarantee
8) You will be supplied with a free phone number to call if the product becomes faulty – the customer support assistant will only answer after you have been on the phone for 30 minutes but the call will unexpectedly cut off 30 seconds after you first start to speak to the customer support assistant.

8) You will be supplied with a free phone number to call if the product becomes faulty – the customer support assistant will only answer after you have been on the phone for 30 minutes but the call will unexpectedly cut off 30 seconds after you first start to speak to the customer support assistant. The assistant will of course speak English….

Although not the version you speak… or can understand .

Having started my working life with a Sony Dealer I can state without fear of contradiction that you have erred slightly there, the customer support representative will succeed in treating you like an unwashed ignorant peasant, make you feel like a worthless human being (just) and make you question your sanity in that 30 seconds.

Back