Gah! Bloody builders! :/

GfK

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
<rant>

Hello.

Got the builders in just now (well sort of - read on), building a 6ft high fence along the bottom of my garden. The fence in question is about 14ft long. Simple enough task.

Day 1 (Wednesday)

He was supposed to be there at 9:30am, so I was up at 8:30. He didn't actually appear until gone 11:30am, in a Ford Fiesta with a load of lumps of wood strapped to the roof. He said his van had broken down.

He got the fence posts up, and about half of the fence itself. He clocked off at 4:30pm.

Day 2 (Thursday)

His alleged 9am arrival actually turned into 11:00am. We went to Tesco around 11:45, returning around 1pm. The builder was nowhere to be seen, and all he'd apparently done was remove the old gates and put up some gate posts. He didn't come back until 3:30pm, when he put up the rest of the fence, then left at 4:45pm. I don't know where he disappeared to for two and a half hours.

Day 3 (Today)

He said he'd be here at 10am. Its currently 4:30pm and he hasn't shown his face, or even bothered to call to say he isn't coming. I've had to wait here all damn day for nothing. As it stands I have a 6ft high fence along the back of my house which WOULD keep the burglars out if it wasn't for the gaping bloody hole where my gate is supposed to be.

If he couldn't get here for whatever reason - fine. But why not call to say? I know he's got my number because I spoke to him last Friday when he called me!

When/if he gets here tomorrow he better be missing a limb or something. I don't consider there can be any other excuse for just not turning up. :shrug:

</rant>

Its crap when they do that, just ring him and tell him if he doesn't get his arse round and finish it off on time!!! you'll with hold part of the payment as compensation for having to stop in all day!!!

Ever seen watchdog.

I think this outfit could be a candidate for that show by the sound of it..;)

Does he ride a horse and wear a stetson..:thinking:

Hope you haven't paid him anything yet m8 ... :eek:

Assuming you haven't I guess he can't complain too much if you take the same slack attitude when it does come time to fork out ... unless of course you tell him to fork off in the meantime ... :D

:p

Well my landlord is supposed to be paying him cos its a rented house. I know the job is paying him £175 cos he told me.

Have a suspicion he's trying to string it out for as long as possible to get more money. If he doesn't turn up tomorrow I think I'll ring my landlord and tell them.

Four days to put up a fence is taking the ****. I could've done it myself in a day.

Didn't you notice his Stetson when he got out of the car? :thinking: :shrug: ;)

Hope you get your job finished fella.

nothing worse is there!

Be carefull, we had a builder in to 'fix' the fence at the side of house. He ended up showing his face something similar to your experience. When the day came to pay him I payed him 1/3rd the cost and explained my actions. Unfortunately for him he decided to give me a black eye. I hate to say this and its nothing to be proud of but I pommelled him. Luckily a passer by saw the whole thing and supplied a statement to the police. The builder was fined for his actions and I was awarded with 150 squid compensation and a free fence fixing by a registered very good builder. Assuming he paid for it.

I hope it doesnt go that far though. If you do confront him about it make sure there is somebdy else there watching for the record.

King.

I'm a safety consultant for various small/large building companies and I've lost count of the times where I've turned up for a site inspection & there has been nobody on site :shake:

Then again I charge by the hour + travelling whether they are there or not :LOL: :clap:

Was thinking the same thing Tim, I can't believe in this day and age people do such crap work.

I can. Im not a racist in anyway but I cannot see that this situation will get any better with the likes of non-skilled low paid labour coming into the country and being allowed to work.

This is the sort of job they will be doing "on the side" to make more money.

Thursday is payday so you dont get many of them working on friday, thats where the 3 day weekend comes from.

Thursday is payday so you dont get many of them working on friday, thats where the 3 day weekend comes from.

Do telephones stop working on this 'three day weekend' you speak of? Does common courtesy go out the sodding window??

I still have no gate and no explanation.

To say I'm p***ed off is an understatement. The whole point of adding a high fence was for security purposes. I live next door to a crack den for christ's sake. How secure is it without a gate of any description?!

Back