Games console advice

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I know this isn't exactly computer related but I'm about to buy my son a games console and I've not owned one since the original playstation so I'm a bit out of touch.

I am between the ps4 and xbox 1s. The xbox is a bit cheaper and comes with a second game. Both are 1tb and have two controllers.

Where I am getting confused is someone mentioned that you have to pay £140 a year or so for the xbox for some reason. Not sure if it's to play online which he'll not be doing as he's quite young. Is this correct and if so is it only the xbox or do you need to pay money for the ps4 yearly to?

Hi Scott. You only have to pay to play online which i believe is around £39.99. This goes for both, but you also get free games each month with both subscriptions.

Find out what all his mates have. That's the way most important factor. If they're the only kid in the village with a ps4 then they'll be left out.
I think his mates have both mate. He's always been a wee sporty guy so this is new. I can't ask him though as it's a birthday present. I'll have a word with a pal or two. He's only turning 7 so don't really want him online anyway if I don't know who else is on there.

I think his mates have both mate. He's always been a wee sporty guy so this is new. I can't ask him though as it's a birthday present. I'll have a word with a pal or two. He's only turning 7 so don't really want him online anyway if I don't know who else is on there.
Xbox has great parental controls, you can set it up so they can only talk to and be friends with people they know. And also add time limits and timetables to control screen time.

We have a PS4 in this house. My kids 11,9,6 all enjoy it. Most of the games are a bit old for them so we are limited for choice. I believe the Xbox is aimed at more of a junior audience.

We don’t use it that much to be fair, but it’s grea for stuff like monopoly where we can all play together. Fifa is always popular and I have a couple of driving games.

The online bit is a bit of a rip off to be fair, but each to their own.

It's fifa I am getting for him but I had it in my head that I was getting the ps4 which was around 319 for two controllers and the 1tb machine then noticed the xbox 1s with the same storage, same two pads and fifa 19 plus minecraft and thought I'd get that till someone mentioned the monthly amount. I thought it was something you had to buy.

I also liked that my son could watch netflix on that machine according to my pal.

We have both. You can watch Netflix on both.

You can also watch amazon prime video on both just a matter of downloading the app.

The Xbox One seems to me more difficult to use to me but my kids seem to prefer it. They are 12 and 8.

There isn’t much difference really just personal preference.

I have noticed that the couple of free games a month you get if you have xbox live or the PS4 equivalent seem to be better in the Xbox.

If he is getting fifa he will definitely want to play online with his mates. As said above check what his mates have so they can play online against each other.

Fortnite or whatever it is called seems to be the big thing game wise at the moment and it’s free but all online as far as I can make out.

Last edited:
He's played fortnite before on his Ipad.

I never thought about playing football online. Not sure why. Kept thinking it was for war games etc which he might not like.

you only need to pay an annual fee to play online against other people with both systems. You dont need to have an annual subscription to access the internet via the console. You can still update the software, watch Youtube, subscribe to netflix.

There's deals going all the time as well, I just picked up 12 months live gold for £19.99.

Also, there's places like Game and CEX who have tons of pre-owned games which can save you are fortune. Although always check the price against the Microsoft Store as sometimes the online deals make it cheaper new and downloadable, which saves having to put the disc in for authentication. But obviously you can't trade in an online purchase unlike a disc purchase.

Another bonus is the huge list of Xbox 360 games which are compatible with the One S. The system automatically runs them though an emulator and it's all free. The best part is that there's lots of good 360 titles pre-owned at silly low prices. I just got Super Street Fighter IV today for my son at £6 from CEX.

Here's the list of compatible games: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility/available-games

Back