Gandolfi Camera

Ava

Name
Lucy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to put a Gandolfi (not sure if they only made one camera or if there are different types...) camera together. I'm asking for someone else as they've aquired one but it's all dismantled.

AFAIK Gandolfi only made large format field cameras, from 5x7 and upwards.
I'm sure there is information around that will help you rebuild it but you'll need to know what you are rebuilding.

Ava, Your friend must be lucky acquiring the Gandolfi. I know very little about them, but there was a 4 page article on Gandolfi cameras in Amateur Photographer, 25th March, 2000. I was going to say about 4-5 yrs back, but I have dug out the article, and the March 2000 date is correct.
Gandolfi Precision G45 (4x5 field camera, £2,115) G810(8x10 field camera £2,814). Gandolfi Variant GV45 4x5 fixed body, £936 [cheap :D!]
They are handbuilt here in the UK.
Try finding out more here, or on A.P.; and there is also the possibility that if you google 'Gandolfi' you will come up with their site,probably.
Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ava, Any update re your friend's Gandolfi ? Myself, and many others would be pleased to know what model it is, etc. I googled Gandolfi yesterday and they have a website. There is also a way to contact them, especially if repairs are needed.

Sorry, forgot about this thread.

Thanks for the replies :)

No updates yet, I still haven't seen the actual camera parts, but hopefully we can have a look tonight. Thanks for finding the types for me :)

I did have a look myself but I couldn't find their own website. I did find one that seemed like it until I noticed it was just a repairs company. Do you have a link?

Haven't looked at the pieces yet, but there's a very old letter/quote that came with the camera (1960). It says the following items:

Half plate size precision taper bellows camera, fitted with reversing back, and one extra lens panel.

Half plate D/D Cut Film holders (Kodak pattern)

Half plate to quarter plate adapter frames

Quarter plate out film sheaths.

I assume the original owner did buy the camera quoted, though maybe not the extras. There aren't any other quotes though.

So that's the Gandolfi Precision?

I'm guessing with that information we should be able to figure out how to put it back together, anyway. What d'you think?

Ava, The only link I can suggest is www.gandolficameras.com
and although that seems to be a repair firm, I believe they are connected with Gandolfi. I have checked the AP article again, and there is no reference to any contact details for Gandolfi. The AP writer states that their workshop, as Gandolfi state, "we do not have a factory" is situated in "Backofbeyondsville" somewhere in Wiltshire.
Try contacting the repair firm, they may be able to help.
A closing snippet in the article mentions -GANDOLFI AND CORFIELD. and goes on to state that Sir Kenneth Corfield is the chairman of Gandolfi, and that 'Corfield' is a camera manufacturer in its own right.
I do not know if there are any large format users in TalkPhotography, but I would have thought a few here would know something about such cameras, ie large format.
Keep us up-dated with your progress.

Ah yes, that is the site I found. Might give them a call and see how much it'd be for them to try to assemble it, then. If it's too much my fiance might try, I think. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Thanks for the info :D

Last edited:
I wish Ava would keep us updated re the Gandolfi. I, and I believe most of us would like to know the eventual outcome, especially the model, and the lens.

Sorry, I will do, I've just been quite busy lately.

Hi Ava .I have just joined the forum to answer your questions.As i am interested all things Gandolfi.

It would seem that the camera you describe is a half plate precision model. These appear to have been made in seven formats from 5x4 to 11x14 with one or two other special sizes from about 1940 until the Gandolfi brothers retired in the 1980s. The new owners of the company continued to make this range after the brothers deaths , now calling it the TRADITIONAL.

The current owner of the company is Eddy Hill who has been making a limited number of cameras up until spring this year, when he announced on his website that while offering a limited repair service , he would not be making any more cameras.

If your camera has a spring back , then it will take current 5x7 dark slides . Albeit with a small amount of cut off around the edges of the film. You can of course use half plate holders but film is getting harder to get in this size . 5x7 film is in stock at at least 5 dealers in the uk.

The camera is well worth restoring , and providing all the bits are there ,putting it together should not be much of a problem. Please do not coat it with modern varnish . The original finish was french polish and a good clean with white spirit and then a coat of good quality wax usually brings back the woodwork to an acceptable finish. The brass work can be polished with brass cleaner,degreased then coated with Rustins clear metal laquer. The bellows may be a problem if in poor condition . New ones should be available to order from the custom bellows company in Birmingham. Eddy still makes lens panels to order and still seems to have a reasonable stock of spares .

If you find all this a bit daunting Eddy may be able to put it back into working order, depending on his other business comittments.

If you google Gandolfi cameras you will see Eddys site . eddme.com. I still use 10x8 and 7x5 Gandolfis on a regular basis .

Hope this is of some help .

Regards Mike.

mikegandolf, Interesting information. I am not into large format but found Ava's post interesting. Hope she gets it up and working, and I suppose quite a few of us will be interested in the final result.

Sixteen days gone by and still no word from Ava re her lovely Gandolfi. I am living on tenterhooks awaiting the outcome.

Back