Critique Gannet

den

Name
Dennis
Edit My Images
No
Taken yesterday at around mid day ,not my chosen time to be visiting the Gannets ,but no choice.
It was a mainly sunny day with pockets of clouds and this shot was taken when the sun eventualy went behind a cloud ,i tried getting a bit lower down but their was just to much long grass in the way ,plus the wind was not helping with my focus (with the long grass) so i gave up and settled in getting the bird a bit higher than i would have liked .
I have cropped a touch of the bottom for comp ,and i know their is a slight stray piece of OOF grass to the right,plus their was no way i was going to try and clone it out.....
Taken with the 1d mkiv 500mm f4 with a x1.4 at 5.6 iso 400 1/1250 sec -1/3 ev .
Honest poilte CC welcome and any areas of improvement welcome .
Edits allowed
Gannet (1 of 1)-5 by dennis greenwood, on Flickr

Honest polite ??? :ROFLMAO: CC welcome

The only possible improvement I can see is
in the mid-tones micro contrast, nothing else!

Darn cool take!

Den,

It's just the white balance thats out for me. I used the WB pipette in lightroom and clicked on a neutral area on the front of the neck (left as we look), then set the white and black points - darkening the blacks near the eye.

Other than that it's nicely balanced and framed portrait - loads of details and sharpness, a really nice head angle plus a complementary background. The twigs add extra interest as well.

Mike

den-gannet-rp.jpg

Den,

It's just the white balance thats out for me. I used the WB pipette in lightroom and clicked on a neutral area on the front of the neck (left as we look), then set the white and black points - darkening the blacks near the eye.

Other than that it's nicely balanced and framed portrait - loads of details and sharpness, a really nice head angle plus a complementary background. The twigs add extra interest as well.

Mike

View attachment 72043
Thanks Mike ........

Back