Gannets at Bempton Cliffs

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
Spent the last couple of weeks in Northumberland (hopefully more piccies to follow) and stopped on the Yorkshire coast for a couple of days on the way up. First day was flooded out but 2nd day was great fun at Bempton.

All pictures are taken with EOS 1D MkII and EF 500mm f/4L IS - often handheld and rather heavy!

1. Gannet bringing sea weed for nest building

NR7V9334.jpg

2. Soaring Gannet

NR7V9348.jpg

3. Juvenille

NR7V9422.jpg

4. Flying over rough seas

NR7V9519.jpg

5. Landing

NR7V9533.jpg

6. Landing II

NR7V9444.jpg

7. Portrait (sorry it's to the right, I was stuggling to track as he flew in the high wind)

NR7V9265.jpg

I hope you enjoy. I have to say that the new lens is a stunner (if a bit on the weighty side)

Paul

Very well captured Paul ... :clap: ... I know how difficult Bempton can be ALL of the time ... :D

:p

Love the eye in your 'mis framed' portrait #7 :)

Thanks guys. Robert - do like the eys in the last one.

It's a shame it wasn't clear the day before as the gannets were "surfing" the wind but visibility was down to about 30 metres so no good for pictures (left the camera in the car).

Also did Northumberland coast so hope to have a few piccies from there sorted soon.

:agree:

I also like number 4 as well as 5.

The pattern of the rocks and water behind the bird in number 4 is good, but I think for me personally, it would be even nicer if the cliff was cropped from the left so there are fewer elements in the image. :)

Of course I'm trying not to imagine myself looking over the edge of a cliff, as that sort of thing gives me the heeby jeebies! :eek:

Thanks guys. I'm always a bit wary of over-cropping as I tend to still think in terms of print and not screen, so worry about losing resolution but I can see your point on both 4 and 5.

Thank guys.

Ian, i'm really bad at cleaning sensors. Just lazy and then forget to clean the pictures. Did most of the blobs in lightroom but thhe hair survived!

Back