Garonga! Safari Camp - Kruger National Park - Camera Bag

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone!

I am looking for some avid travellers/safari go-ers.

In March we will be visiting Cape Town for around a week, it is our first time in South Africa and after that we will be staying in the beautiful Garonga Safari Camp west of Kruger National Park which looks absolutely glorious!

The hotel was recommended to me by a friend who has stayed there before and luckily they had availability on the days we are in SA.

I can't wait to get out there and get some lovely photos of the animals and also the surrounding nature (including some lovely sunrises/sunsets/night shots). I am hoping to use the photos/videos to create a short video to feature on our travel blog webiste/youtube channel.

So far I have in my bag:

- Canon 5D MK IV
- Canon 7D
- Sigma 150-600mm C
- Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art
- Canon 24-105mm F4L IS USM
- Canon 17-40mm F4L
- Canon 85mm F1.8
- Samyang 8mm fisheye
- HiTec Filters, 'Big Stopper', Variable ND
- 3LT Leo
- DJI Mavic Pro with ND Filters
- GoPro Hero 6

I also have a wonderful little battery powered slider that I intend to take for some lovely timelapses but I have so far left out my 70-200mm F4L in favour of the Sigma.

I am hoping to fit all of this into my LowePro ProTactic 450AW (I have just ordered this as it may be replacing my ThinkTank Pro Commuter)

I would love to have some advice on the equipment you would recommend for this sort of a trip

Thank you very much.

Hi there,

Have you checked you can take the drone to the camps?
Also have you weighed all that lot, if you are using internal flights that could be an issue? I don't see a tripod on your list? I'm not sure you really want the 85,35 and 8mm fisheye out there for the safari part or the big stopper, but just my opinion.
I found on the safaris I've been on there wasn't really much cause for the UWA lens unless you're doing night stuff, you need to remember that if you have a driver and ranger they might not be happy for you to just walk off on your own unless you have the transport to yourself.
I would be aware that when out in the field you don't really want to swap lenses to much either.
When I went, I was with my 24-105 on my 5D mk2 and 100-400 on my 5Ds and had all I needed covered except birds, but I wasn't that worried about that.

The best advice would be to contact the safari direct and explain what you would like to do and achieve, I'd expect them to be very happy to help and assist.
I hope this helps you, but please ask if you want any more, also I'm very jealous.

Weight would be my biggest concern with that lot too, is it even small enough to go as carry on luggage on international flights? You wouldn't want to be checking it in as hold luggage. the

Out of interest, is your Safari totally in the wild? Or in a private game reserve?

The only reason I ask is that I took the longest lens I had at the time - an 18-250mm Sigma - because I thought I'd need the zoom.

As it turns out, I could have got away with a shorter, better quality lens. We went to Aquila - a private game reserve (albeit in 10,000 hectares) - and there are only so many places the animals can be. The drivers know the spots and you'll probably be very close to the animals

If it's in the wild, then you may need the zoom to get up close and personal.

We were about 5 feet away from the lions...

10993077_10152558939641021_1801570035791173114_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there,

Have you checked you can take the drone to the camps?
Also have you weighed all that lot, if you are using internal flights that could be an issue? I don't see a tripod on your list? I'm not sure you really want the 85,35 and 8mm fisheye out there for the safari part or the big stopper, but just my opinion.
I found on the safaris I've been on there wasn't really much cause for the UWA lens unless you're doing night stuff, you need to remember that if you have a driver and ranger they might not be happy for you to just walk off on your own unless you have the transport to yourself.
I would be aware that when out in the field you don't really want to swap lenses to much either.
When I went, I was with my 24-105 on my 5D mk2 and 100-400 on my 5Ds and had all I needed covered except birds, but I wasn't that worried about that.

The best advice would be to contact the safari direct and explain what you would like to do and achieve, I'd expect them to be very happy to help and assist.
I hope this helps you, but please ask if you want any more, also I'm very jealous.

Hi Paul

Thanks for your input, I have the luggage allowance to carry the equipment on the internal flights.

I should have been clearer because we are travelling around for around 2 weeks some of the lenses (e.g. the 85mm etc) were more for those occasions.

I take on board what you are saying though, I suspect what I will do is leave the 85mm, 8mm, and 24-105mm at home and instead stick with only the: 35mm F1.4, 70-200mm (mounted to 5D MK IV), 150-600mm (mounted to 7D), and 17-40mm (for my night stuff)

Did you find your 24-105 particularly useful in terms of reach on full frame?

I have spoken to the Safari camp but will get more advice off them, they have been brilliant so far! They have even asked me to take some photos for them too which I am really excited to do.

Weight would be my biggest concern with that lot too, is it even small enough to go as carry on luggage on international flights? You wouldn't want to be checking it in as hold luggage. the

You like to carry your house with you! That is a bit insane

I am going to thin it out for the purpose of saving my back :D But you would be surprised, that lot normally fits in to my ThinkTank Commuter with my MacBook there too! :D

Too much stuff and noones going to thank you if you're trying to work with all that in a landrover etc..

Do you really need two bodies? As for lenses I'd take the 24-105, the 150-600 and the hero 6. You won't need long and you really don't want to be changing lenses too much because of the dust.

Too much stuff and noones going to thank you if you're trying to work with all that in a landrover etc..

Do you really need two bodies? As for lenses I'd take the 24-105, the 150-600 and the hero 6. You won't need long and you really don't want to be changing lenses too much because of the dust.

I thought 2 bodies will be better than messing around with teleconverters seeing as one is FF and one is crop, and I can always pass the one I'm not using to the wife to use :D

I've mentioned this in other posts, so apologies for the repetition.

On a recent trip to Zambia, I took a 7DII, EF-S 15-85mm, EF 100-400mm II, EF 1.4x III and some decent binoculars. Didn't need anything more. Most shots were taken using the 100-400mm which stayed on the camera 90% of the time, The binoculars were worth their weight in gold and the trip would not have been as enjoyable without them.

The missus took her 80D, EF-S 18-135, a borrowed 55-250 and her binoculars. Again the binoculars helped make her trip.

We were however restricted to 5kg carry on allowance for internal flights. On the other hand, changing lenses in the field carries some risk, so even with more gear, I'm not sure I would have made enough use of it to warrant lugging it about.

Good luck.

We've just come back from SA about 3 weeks ago and posted on an earlier thread that we stayed at Pumba, another private reserve for 4 days. I honestly don't think anyone needs anything more than a 300mm lens as you get so close to the animals. I shot almost everything with my 70-200 f2.8. You can have a look here. Oh and drones were not allowed at Pumba and doubtful they are allowed anywhere else.

It is a private game reserve however I may also spend 2 days before or after doing wild safari too :)

That is an excellent shot!

Out of interest, is your Safari totally in the wild? Or in a private game reserve?

The only reason I ask is that I took the longest lens I had at the time - an 18-250mm Sigma - because I thought I'd need the zoom.

As it turns out, I could have got away with a shorter, better quality lens. We went to Aquila - a private game reserve (albeit in 10,000 hectares) - and there are only so many places the animals can be. The drivers know the spots and you'll probably be very close to the animals

If it's in the wild, then you may need the zoom to get up close and personal.

We were about 5 feet away from the lions...

10993077_10152558939641021_1801570035791173114_n.jpg

Hi Paul

Thanks for your input, I have the luggage allowance to carry the equipment on the internal flights.

I should have been clearer because we are travelling around for around 2 weeks some of the lenses (e.g. the 85mm etc) were more for those occasions.

I take on board what you are saying though, I suspect what I will do is leave the 85mm, 8mm, and 24-105mm at home and instead stick with only the: 35mm F1.4, 70-200mm (mounted to 5D MK IV), 150-600mm (mounted to 7D), and 17-40mm (for my night stuff)

Did you find your 24-105 particularly useful in terms of reach on full frame?

I have spoken to the Safari camp but will get more advice off them, they have been brilliant so far! They have even asked me to take some photos for them too which I am really excited to do.

I found the 24-105 and 100-400 a good combination on both my full frame cameras. Definitely worth taking both cameras as well, even if just a back up but also saves you changing lenses too much in the field. Personally if that was me, I would also take the 24-105 as 70 might be too much, although I don't know what you safari is going to be like.

Depending on your ranger and driver and if you are in separate vehicles, the 24-105 was more than enough at times and amazing how near you may get to the big animals, but they are there for you, I hope.
We went to Zim two years ago had a great report with the guys and it was a pleasure being out with them. They were very happy and engaging (also helped them being photographers) on getting us all to right places and trying to get you were the light was best.

Drones are usually a no no, in some parks certain species are hidden and drones are equated with poaching.

Not sure you'll need a long lens, in Kruger, you'll be at most 30m away.

Safaris are amazing, the best ones are under canvas though.

Hi Hope,

I should preface this by saying i've spent a good deal of time doing what your planning and contrary to some of the above i take alot more gear than you have listed.

Couple of quick questions to ask the camp your going to.

How many people do they put on a vehicle?, they will usually take 9 but some places only put 2 per row meaning you have a space seat for equipment. Failing that it may be possible to arrange a private vechile for some additional cost. It may be worth investigating this as it means you can sit lower down in the vehicle which is usually more desireable. My preference is to sit in the passager seat next to the driver (even better if there is no door to the vehicle).

Most places will offer a sundowner as the sun goes down but we tend to skip these its an incredible time to shoot if you

2 bodies for me is a must. (i in fact take 3 as i shoot Infrared aswell) Its not just cover the focal range of wide to long but not needing to change lenses in what can be very dusty conditions.

In so far as advice on not needing a 600mm lens, it entirely depends on how you shoot. There are so many facinating detail shots possible. In fact if i came back with only full frame whole animal shots i would be dissapointed. Many of the animals have fantastic 'follow me' details, ears and eyes etc that are well worth exploring. Not to mentions birds! You are likely to spend some time shooting after sunset and you may wish to take a flash with you to balance ambient light as the sun goes down (best if you can use it off camera or at the very least off axis to avoid 'steel eye'. While out on the drive i would perhaps not take so much of the overlapping gear, the 150-600, 24-105 and perhaps a rented 70-700 2.8 to offer something faster in the low light wold be sufficient. I doubt you will get the opporunity to use the slider outside of the camp and i would be amazing if your permitted to fly the drone while in the reserve.

FYI my last trip was purely a wildlife photography trip and i took a 500mm f4, 300 f2.8 70-200 f2.8 24-120 f4 and a 15-30 f2.8 across my 3 bodies, a gimbal head and clamp, beanbag, and flash setup It's a ***** to travel with but im prepared to make that effort.

I also have a 150-600c that gets taken on trips where i can't take the heavier equipment. (out internal madagascar flights this year have a 5kg limit bah)

Hope that helps

David

Last edited:
The one thing I found/have found with photography in general is not to let it spoil your enjoyment of the trip.

If you were going on safari purely to photograph the animals (as above), then take all your kit and spend all your time trying to get the perfect shot.

If you're going to enjoy the experience, then try not to let the photography get in the way (too much).

It's very easy to worry about having the right camera and the right lens at the right time and forget to just enjoy the majesty of it.

The most enjoyable part of the trip for me was being up close to the lions when the alpha male roared. I didn't just hear it, but felt it with every part of my being.

Similarly, I often wonder how many parents get to enjoy their kids' school performances any more as every single one of them is watching it through a smart phone as they desperately try to capture the moment...

I take a camera to record the events for memories/reminders. Sometimes I think too many feel pressure to get that perfect shot because everyone else has.

Also, if you're on foot or canoe, a bit of spatial awareness is useful.

Use the camera sparingly.

Back