Gelled Portraits

A very cool model you have there, Steve…
something great in all frames but 3 & 4
are my picks! (y)(y)(y)

Expression-wise, I love the first and last.
Lighting-wise, the first and third are most successful. Gels are really revealing of small 'errors' - the inadvertent (?) highlights on the nose, for instance.

Still, a very fine effort. I've never yet done a gels shot I've been really happy with :(

They work for me and im trying more and more with lights its harder than it looks. But you have done well the models still look good, only one is clipped but stunning models and great photos they will be happy

I think you need more control over the side (warm) lights, they are spilling across the front turning your blue lights magenta. Maybe move them farther back and feather/flag them...
Blue is tough, it very easily goes too light and it is very easily overpowered. If you reversed the scheme it might be easier...

I think you need more control over the side (warm) lights, they are spilling across the front turning your blue lights magenta. Maybe move them farther back and feather/flag them...
Blue is tough, it very easily goes too light and it is very easily overpowered. If you reversed the scheme it might be easier...

I totally agree, the side lights were gelled umbrellas with very little control, too much wrap around from them. I should have used gridded strip boxes.
I'll try a few different combinations next time to see.

Back