Gels and stuff

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
Not very oftern i venture to this neck of the woods so here goes.

I've got an idea where I paint a white(ish) wall with red white and blue. I ran some tests on the front of the house last night and here's what I found.

Red isn't too bad (can't remember what the full red gel is called)
PICT9146.JPG

Blue is proving more tricky.

This is with one full CTB gel
PICT9147.JPG

This is with two full CTB gels
PICT9148.JPG

As you can see i reall need the two CTB gels to match the intensity of the red gel, one won't cut it. The problem is two gels robs me of more light than one so does anyone know a way where I can get the same colour intensity of two gels without sacrificing power? I'm using speed lights so power is at a premium.

Cheers,
Kev

Maybe I'm being an absolute dunce and condescending your intelligence, but have you got 'auto-white balance' set? And if so, don't.

Maybe I'm being an absolute dunce and condescending your intelligence, but have you got 'auto-white balance' set? And if so, don't.

What made you think that?

EXIF says white balance is set to flash.

Have you tried a more intense blue gel, instead of CTB (which is more a colour correction gel)

Maybe Evening or Tokyo Blue?

I've only tried the CTB as that's what was in the kit I bought (admittedly a kit of colour correction gels). Where would I get these other blues from? Would I have to buy a bloody great sheet of the stuff and are they likely to rob me of much light compared to the CTBs?

Cheers,
Kev

Cheers Jason,

I got my colour correction filters from there when they first started, I didn't realise the range had expanded I'll get some ball bungees from there too, last time I bought some from ebay the were too small to be of any use.

Hadn't thought of them Andrew, will look to see if there's one around here somewhere.

Go to a theatrical lighting suppliers and get a swatch book - free - for Lee or Rosco filters - plenty choice there and you could maybe even use the swatches. Buy sheets and cut them yourself - MUCH cheaper than buying ready cut stuff from a photo supplier!

Cheers Jason,

I got my colour correction filters from there when they first started, I didn't realise the range had expanded I'll get some ball bungees from there too, last time I bought some from ebay the were too small to be of any use.

Hadn't thought of them Andrew, will look to see if there's one around here somewhere.

Either that or if there is a small commercial theatre or even an amdram group near you, they often willing to help (possibly in return for some snaps)

Go to a theatrical lighting suppliers and get a swatch book - free - for Lee or Rosco filters - plenty choice there and you could maybe even use the swatches. Buy sheets and cut them yourself - MUCH cheaper than buying ready cut stuff from a photo supplier!

I have the Lee filter swatch book, and it's too small to cover the entire front of the flash head, so it has to be taped over the face to prevent light leakage.

This is why I ended up buying some from elsewhere.

I also got the Ball Bungee's from them. They're huge, easily big enough to attach a strobe to a chair leg or similar.

Back