weekly George's 52 for 2018 And finished

Lots of photos since my last visit to your thread I like the Shadow a lot and the Match box Range Rover is fun, I like the low PoV but my pick of the bunch is low with its lovely detail and great reflection

Thanks very much :D

Great photo, great texture in the dirt and great DoF!

Hi Missy

Really liking that bridge, nice compo and textures. (y)

Matchbox toy ... original idea (y) ... fun photo, in the rough terrain. :)

Great shot for Match Georgina, Sunday I was taking shots of bigger cars but I really do like how you set up this great shot with good dof.

Nice match shot. In my eyes that is where all 4x4s should be. Nice DoF, and details in the dirt.

Low

I like lt, it's a good composition and a bit of reflection and shadow.

Match

Again, a good composition and I like that it's just a couple of colours.

Thanks very much everyone :D

Hi Georgina

Wet, I like this Image, the reflections on the baech and the sky behind, I would have tried wider with a letter box sized image, with more sea and could on the right hand side.

Juxtaposition is a nice idea, DoF separates the daffodils in the foreground from the graves behind. the image gives the impression that it is not level as both the cross and grave stone are leaning at the same angle.

Oval, what a strange thing. While I think it looks better in B&W, I find the bushes at the bottom too dark in relation to the sky. a grad filter or some PS work would sort it out.

Straight, runways are straight so good on you for having another go. Nice sky and a lot of it.

Unattractive, I can see why you took these. The one with the water is a strange thing, seems far too industrial to be a swimming pool.

Shadow, interesting lamp post, nicely captured.

Bueatiful, what a view and the clouds above it as well, nice colours.

Low, nice image, lots of textures and colours.

Match, I like what you have done here. DOF works well.

Pete

Thanks for taking the time to look back and comment Pete. I think the juxtaposition shot is pretty straight but it might not be :D The cemetery is on a slope and I was kneeling down to get the angle so not sure but neither the daffs nor the cross were upright :D

Low - Great fid for the theme my eye is drawn through the low bridge and wonder whats the other side very well done.

Match - Love it great take on the theme love the composition

Week 21 - Hard - One of our local Paddle boarders. You can have hard work or hard muscles for this one or even hard to do, though this chap made it look easy!

Hard by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Week 22 - Creatures - Seagull & Lion Head. Though I really don't like seagulls I thought this one looked quite regal siting on top of the statue. There were people eating nearby and I think he was just waiting to steal food.

Creatures by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

I am drawn to the lions head more than the Herring Gull that's perched on it. A slightly more elevated position would have been better for me.

Hard, Simple and on theme. Any tighter shots of him? I think the tighter crop would be better, seeing the concentration and determination in his face.

musical, Now that made me laugh! Good to get a fun shot in! It speaks for itself.

musical ... haha

I like the gull, pretty sharp. (y)

Musical made me smile, the things people do.
Hard, I've tried and it certainly is hard to stay on one of those things.
The gulls head seems to be a bit in shadow, may be some selective adjustments might bring it out a bit more?

Musical -- That is both gross and hilarious in equal measure but it's good that the picture was taken from behind (pun intended) as it shows the whole story.

Hard -- Definitely needs to be a bit closer in, maybe just showing a bit of the board but mostly the man.

Creature -- The photo is fine and on theme although as Sirch says the head is a bit lost and looking a little artificial. The gull itself -- let's say I'd prefer them at sea, not hanging around trying to snatch food; they are bloody pests inshore really.

Hi Georgina,

Musical - Made me chuckle too. Plus you've got a bit of motion blur going on and a pretty good job of the panning.

Hard - I'm not sure that a tighter crop would be a good thing. The wider shot leaves him space to paddle into which is the accepted way of doing things.

Creature - I hadn't realised it was a lion's head it was standing on, weathering really does have quite an effect.
The gull has the look of the comic ones you see on admiral insurance, I quite like that effect.

I am drawn to the lions head more than the Herring Gull that's perched on it. A slightly more elevated position would have been better for me.

Hard, Simple and on theme. Any tighter shots of him? I think the tighter crop would be better, seeing the concentration and determination in his face.

musical, Now that made me laugh! Good to get a fun shot in! It speaks for itself.

Hi, I have to confess that I didn't realise it was a lions head until I got home and downloaded the pictures :) Its is actually on the top of a column about 8ft up, and as I'm only 5ft4 in this case a more elevated was not possible. :D Unfortunately no closer images of the paddler, he was quite away out and the image I put up was cropped. I don't think the quality would be good enough for a tighter crop plus I wanted to show the whole thing and leave hime space to move into :D I'll look out for them again and maybe do a reshoot. I'm not 100% that it's the same chap but they also do a pole dancer and a naked piano player!!! Neither are a pretty sight :LOL:

Musical made me smile, the things people do.
Hard, I've tried and it certainly is hard to stay on one of those things.
The gulls head seems to be a bit in shadow, may be some selective adjustments might bring it out a bit more?

Thanks Chris. It is a bit, possibly because I was looking up at the gull. Not sure if that's beyond my technical skills but I'll have a look :D

Im with Michael on these Georgina.....

Musical -- That is both gross and hilarious in equal measure but it's good that the picture was taken from behind (pun intended) as it shows the whole story.

Hard -- Definitely needs to be a bit closer in, maybe just showing a bit of the board but mostly the man.

Creature -- The photo is fine and on theme although as Sirch says the head is a bit lost and looking a little artificial. The gull itself -- let's say I'd prefer them at sea, not hanging around trying to snatch food; they are bloody pests inshore really.

Thanks Martin. I did the paddler shot that way as I wanted to give him room to move into and to be honest I don't think the shot is sharp enough to crop him that close. Also annoyingly as he got nearer, where I might have got a sharper image, he swapped arms so the closer shots mostly had his arm across his face :rolleyes: I'm really not keen on the gulls myself, they can be a nuisance and are real scavengers but I just thought he look quite handsome sat on the statue :D

Cracking :D shot for music Georgina, a great fun shot. Plus your creature shot of the gull is nicely framed on the lions head, a good little catch up from you.
Thanks very much David. Just read in the discussion thread that you are leaving us for a while. Sorry to hear this you are so good to comment, hopefully things will get easier for you and you will be back soon :D

Hi Georgina,

Musical - Made me chuckle too. Plus you've got a bit of motion blur going on and a pretty good job of the panning.

Hard - I'm not sure that a tighter crop would be a good thing. The wider shot leaves him space to paddle into which is the accepted way of doing things.

Creature - I hadn't realised it was a lion's head it was standing on, weathering really does have quite an effect.
The gull has the look of the comic ones you see on admiral insurance, I quite like that effect.

Thanks Tim. Took quite a few that evening but the light was going so I'm not happy with a lot of them but it made me laugh to myself when I thought of it for the theme. That was exactly why I did it that way, plus it wouldn't have been a good enough shot to crop it that close ;) No me neither until I looked at it on the computer! I was quite high up and I thought it was just a rounded top :LOL:

Im with Michael on these Georgina.....

Hi Mark, See my reply to Micheal but I will have another look at a closer crop:D

..... had a look but the only really sharp one are when he set off out and then he had his back to me! They are often in the bay so will hopefully get a chance at a reshoot :D

Last edited:
Georgina

Music, a cheeky but unattractive shot there.

Hard, He has some muscles that for shore. Good enough shot.

Creatures, nice capture, good colours in the seagull and the sky, plenty of details, well focused.

Pete

Week 23 - Synthetic - Really Struggled to think of something interesting for this one. Think it was the start of my getting behind:( In the end just went with some artificial flowers which are definitely made with some synthetic fibres
Synthetic by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Week 26 - Elegant - This is a bit of a shoehorn maybe but I thought this butterfly was very elegant. This was taken in Madeira, when I got home I discovered that the lens which I had dropped but thought was ok really wasn't :( Almost all of my pictures were blurred at the sides. Hence the not very sharp shot but it's not too bad. After a bit of hassle I have my replacement which only arrived yesterday.
Elegant by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 27 - Derelict - Not sure this house was actually derelict as it appeared to be lived in but it certainly looked it. Another one from Madeira, so again not very sharp but it was taken especially for the theme so I'm going with it :D
Derelict by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Week 28 - Home - Taken from my bedroom window. While most on England was basking in the sunshine this was my view :)
Home by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Week 29 - Round - This is one was taken in the week before the theme came out, I think, but decided it worked for the theme.
Round by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

A great catch up Georgina particularly like Synthetic and Round but Rural is the pick of the bunch for me, lovely foreground detail with a beautiful rural backdrop, I like the way you have controlled the suns glare. Top Shot.

What a smashing set of pics George. Loved them all, but synthetic really stands out..

Hi Georgina a great catch up!

Synthetic, red background works really well here, it sets the flower of very nicely, well composed and nicce detail on the main flower.

Rural, Really like this one, from the sun captured in the top left corner to overall compositon and angle of view used.

Bright, certainly bright, nice colour, not sure if the wing mirror being slightly clipped matters or not.

Elegant, Lovely butterfly (a monarch I think)

Derelict, interesting setup! I think it works well for the theme.

Round, nice bit of pink colour there adding something to the image for me. I would consider a tighter crop.

A great catch up Georgina particularly like Synthetic and Round but Rural is the pick of the bunch for me, lovely foreground detail with a beautiful rural backdrop, I like the way you have controlled the suns glare. Top Shot.
Thanks Roger :)

Hi Georgina a great catch up!

Synthetic, red background works really well here, it sets the flower of very nicely, well composed and nicce detail on the main flower.

Rural, Really like this one, from the sun captured in the top left corner to overall compositon and angle of view used.

Bright, certainly bright, nice colour, not sure if the wing mirror being slightly clipped matters or not.

Elegant, Lovely butterfly (a monarch I think)

Derelict, interesting setup! I think it works well for the theme.

Round, nice bit of pink colour there adding something to the image for me. I would consider a tighter crop.

Thanks very much for all the comments. Was just going for something abstract with the car, I took quite a few shots of different bits but liked this one best. No idea about the butterfly they were really big and wouldn't stay still, I had almost given up when this one suddenly stopped and posed :) The bowls were quite a crop anyway and not that sharp, so not sure the would take any more :)

Back