weekly George's 52 for 2018 And finished

Week 1 - Gate - These are the entrance gates to an electric tramway. This ran all the way down Marine Drive to Port Soderick, from the 1890s until WW2. The tramway no longer exists. Not sure if I've gone a bit too far with the processing on this one. The original shot was more like a silhouette with the sun right behind it, but I didn't like the way it came out so just went a bit mad (for me) with the sliders in Lightroom. Anyway here you go :D

Gate by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

What is that blue sky doing there :D Your area is a lovely one at that too Georgina, really like how you took the shot with the tree giving it a frame type view. A lovely Bay shot with all in focus and well on theme :)

I should of waited, gate is another very well taken shot and bang on theme, you did a good job keeping the sun behind the arch of the gateway, like the hill coming in to view, and nice shadows too.

:ROFLMAO: You're too quick Dave. Thanks for your comments, I'm very lucky to live here. I don't think the second one was a very good shot out of the camera :( It was all in the editing :exit::D

Last edited:
Good start to the year, my wife used to go on family holidays to Port Erin when she was little. Good job with the sun behind the gate. I might have been tempted to clone out the blue sign.

Very impressive looking gate and some fine detail stonework. You've done an excellent job with the processing by pulling the details back in the shadows without introducing too many grains and artefacts. :clap: My only niggle is the bright 'keep left' sign. Yes I know, I'm hard to please. :D

Good start to the year, my wife used to go on family holidays to Port Erin when she was little. Good job with the sun behind the gate. I might have been tempted to clone out the blue sign.

Thanks chaps. The sign peeved me to and I did try to clone it out but ended up with a strange blur where it was. I think PS got confused with what it should replace the sign with. :confused: :D

That’s a lovely shot from a place I’d very much like to visit one day. Only possible fault for me would be, as has already been mentioned, the blue sign :)

Love your gate image Missycat

Hi Georgina,
Your Area - Nice use of the tree to add content to the expanse of blue sky.
I didn't think the IoM ever had cloudless skies ;)
I don't think I got to Port Erin when I was on the island for a week back in the early 2000s, I think Douglas, Ramsay, Peel and Castletown were where I got to in the main.
Gate(d) - Really like that. I don't think you went to far with the editing, I looked for halos / chromatic fringes and couldn't see any. Regarding the sign that Stan was commenting on. I don't mind it being there, after-all, it is there, but I did have a play and yes the content aware fill did a rubbish job, but it was possible to do it manually, however what I found worked better was to add a hue/saturation layer, mask off everything else then lower the saturation and lightness which muted the sign and stopped it standing out.

I like the gate .. you have done a good job with the PP, just enough to bring out the image from what I can imagine was very dark before with the sun how it was :)

Hi Georgina,
Your Area - Nice use of the tree to add content to the expanse of blue sky.
I didn't think the IoM ever had cloudless skies ;)
I don't think I got to Port Erin when I was on the island for a week back in the early 2000s, I think Douglas, Ramsay, Peel and Castletown were where I got to in the main.
Gate(d) - Really like that. I don't think you went to far with the editing, I looked for halos / chromatic fringes and couldn't see any. Regarding the sign that Stan was commenting on. I don't mind it being there, after-all, it is there, but I did have a play and yes the content aware fill did a rubbish job, but it was possible to do it manually, however what I found worked better was to add a hue/saturation layer, mask off everything else then lower the saturation and lightness which muted the sign and stopped it standing out.

Always cloudless Tim, we just keep it hidden, don't want to encourage too many tourist :LOL: and that mumbo jumbo about the blue sign is way too technical for me :confused: I have a lot to learn about PS :D

I like the gate .. you have done a good job with the PP, just enough to bring out the image from what I can imagine was very dark before with the sun how it was :)

Thank you, yes it was quite dark and the gate was almost a silhouette :)

Always cloudless Tim, we just keep it hidden, don't want to encourage too many tourist :LOL: and that mumbo jumbo about the blue sign is way too technical for me :confused: I have a lot to learn about PS :D
Cloudless my :mooning:
PS is not a quick thing to learn (I don't think anyone ever fully learns it), but I will suggest watching the free videos from phlearn. They do open your eyes to what is possible.

Hello Georgina, lovely place you are at and great gate shot! I don't think you have too overboard with the sliders it still looks quite natural. Did you try using a flash? Or a smaller aperture to get a sun-star?
By the way I noticed on flickr you are making your full size picture available for viewing and downloading; is this what you meant?
Tim

Hello Georgina, lovely place you are at and great gate shot! I don't think you have too overboard with the sliders it still looks quite natural. Did you try using a flash? Or a smaller aperture to get a sun-star?
By the way I noticed on flickr you are making your full size picture available for viewing and downloading; is this what you meant?
Tim

Thanks Tim. I didn't try using flash. I only have the on camera flash but that never crossed my mind :oops: :$ Just had a quick look at Flickr. Most of my pictures are resized to 1600 pixels on the longest edge as this is the size our photo club uses, so I usually use this size incase I want to use any in a competition. I think the ones that are full size are from my recent trip to Peru, I guess I should have gone through and made them smaller but I didn't as I just uploaded the folder. Thanks for pointing it out, maybe I better go back and do that :rolleyes::). BTW what made you notice? I hope you weren't trying to download one of my images :p

Thanks Tim. I didn't try using flash. I only have the on camera flash but that never crossed my mind :oops: :$ Just had a quick look at Flickr. Most of my pictures are resized to 1600 pixels on the longest edge as this is the size our photo club uses, so I usually use this size incase I want to use any in a competition. I think the ones that are full size are from my recent trip to Peru, I guess I should have gone through and made them smaller but I didn't as I just uploaded the folder. Thanks for pointing it out, maybe I better go back and do that :rolleyes::). BTW what made you notice? I hope you weren't trying to download one of my images :p

On camera flash is probably too weak against the sun at that distance. I noticed as I'm on my laptop and your image on flickr is huge and doesn't fit on my screen :) This made me wonder about your settings so I took a look. I've had a problem recently with my images being pinched so I'm sensitive to this...

I wondered when you were going to pull your finger out! :p Two nice ones to kick off the year; the first one looks awfully familiar for some reason :) and the second is one I've been meaning to try for some time. You dealt with the light well in the first version but the edited version looks even better with the bright sign removed.

I wondered when you were going to pull your finger out! [emoji14] Two nice ones to kick off the year; the first one looks awfully familiar for some reason :) and the second is one I've been meaning to try for some time. You dealt with the light well in the first version but the edited version looks even better with the bright sign removed.
Cheeky [emoji3] Thanks Andrea [emoji3]

Week 0 - that is a cracking view, very fitting image for the theme, like it.

Gate(d) - another great image showing some lovely weather, your second attempt is much better looks like a very interesting place to visit.

My Area - Great view I like the way you have framed it with the tree
Gate - Fabulous Gate I like the sun behind it you have done well with the processing.

Back