Beginner Get a white background

Edit My Images
Yes
I want to take product photos with my smartphone. I have an Infinix X623 device whose specifications you can find on the Internet (camera: 13MP, f/2).

I have installed a long piece of white Canson paper in the background.
I used white LED lighting.

My problem is that I can't get a white background. It's dark gray.
I don't understand why the background doesn't stay white as it is!

Aren't there any adjustments or settings I've missed?

What metering mode are you using and are you using Manual exposure.

If you camera is on Evaluative metering it's going to expose the image to make the background 18% Grey, more so if the white background is dominant in the image. ie Under Exposing

2 things
Both stated above but both relevant

1 all camera meters expect an image to be roughly 18% grey (average tone) so if your camera only sees white it’ll turn it grey, all you need to do is raise the exposure, your camera should have a function for that.

2 if you’re lighting a subject that is a different distance from the light, you may need more lights for the background. If your light is 1’ from your subject, and the subject is 1’ from the white background, the background only gets 1/4 the light your subject is getting. That’s physics, it’s called the inverse square law.

Thanks, @Gav., @ecoleman, @Phil V, for your replies,

Thank you for clarifying this point for me. Indeed, my smartphone is poor in PRO camera settings. It lacks settings to adjust exposure value, ISO, black/white, focus...

After some research and suggestions, I was able to install an Android Camera App that compensates and supports these functions.

I'm going to test it today and see the results.

Have a nice day,

Thank you for clarifying this point for me. Indeed, my smartphone is poor in PRO camera settings. It lacks settings to adjust exposure value, ISO, black/white, focus...

After some research and suggestions, I was able to install an Android Camera App that compensates and supports these functions.

Have a nice day,
Let's hope that it helps.
But, software solutions are always limited, they basically use a kind of fuzzy logic that can only part-solve the real problem. And the real problem, as already explained to you, is caused by the laws of physics, which tells us that all forms of radiated energy (heat, light, sound) lose 3/4 of their received power with every doubling of their distance.

The only real answer, for something as important as product photography, where sales suffer badly when the photos are bad, is to use a real camera, real lights and an element of care.

The only real answer, for something as important as product photography, where sales suffer badly when the photos are bad, is to use a real camera, real lights and an element of care.

^ That. Stop bodging the job and do it properly.

I've done the test, and the background is no longer dark gray. It has become more correct and lighter.

The problem I'm having is with the colors.

The camera doesn't render colors faithfully.

If, for example, let's say the green color in the object is a conventional green color like grass, in the photo it's #27322A.

Is there any way to correct this?

I've done the test, and the background is no longer dark gray. It has become more correct and lighter.

If, for example, let's say the green color in the object is a conventional green color like grass, in the photo it's #27322A.

Yes. Put your phone in your pocket and get a camera.

Yeah sorry your "camera" is just a phone.

For anything serious you need some strobes at least with a decent proper camera.

I’m afraid the above is correct.

I use my phone to take pictures most days, but when I want a ‘photograph’ I use a camera, and if I want 100% accurate colours, I’m digging out studio lighting, a colour checker and calibrating my monitor for the first time since I last shot a pro job.

Have a nice day,
Thats really odd, even the basic phones can normally ajust exposure, Are you sure they are not hidden? Mine for example you have to tap the screen to and drag a slider to alter the ev.

Thats really odd, even the basic phones can normally ajust exposure, Are you sure they are not hidden? Mine for example you have to tap the screen to and drag a slider to alter the ev.
Phones can do just about anything, but they can't change the laws of physics, and they just use fuzzy logic to produce pretty pictures, assuming that everything about the picture is standard, normal and average. And there's nothing standard, normal and average about making an underlit background look properly lit.

Here's an extract from my beginner book about mobile phones. Not much detail there, simply because the book is about photography with real cameras.

"But why buy a camera at all, when you already have a smartphone? Well, the great thing about smartphones is that most of us have one with us all the time, and having a ‘phone in our pocket when we want to take a shot beats having a large, heavy camera that’s sitting at home – but there are some major problems with smartphones.

Firstly, the camera side of things is extremely basic, but the software side is brilliant and, to a large extent, makes up for the camera limitations. But the clever software often substitutes real elements for fake ones, putting in detail that the camera missed, and often getting it wrong, For example, some phones recognise the moon when it’s in your photo, remove it and replace it with its own stock photo of the moon. This may be OK if your photo does include the moon, but not so good if it thinks that the football in your photo is the moon . . .

And secondly, the clever software, which includes sophisticated artificial intelligence, does everything for you, taking all control away from you. Apps do exist to allow manual control, but they have limitations.

And, without that control, you can’t learn to improve your photos. And that’s why you need to use a real camera to learn with, even if you also use a phone.

And, in bright sunlight, it can be difficult to see the screen.

And phones are entirely the wrong shape to hold steadily, unlike actual cameras, which have an ergonomic design that makes it easy.

I’ve used my iPhone quite a lot for this book, taking close-up shots of (mainly) the screen on the back of one of my cameras, which it should be perfect for – but, although all of these shots were taken in the same place, with the same lighting conditions at the same time, the colours vary a lot, all of the images have unwanted reflections and some of those reflections, especially of the red phone case, are horrible."

Phones can do just about anything, but they can't change the laws of physics, and they just use fuzzy logic to produce pretty pictures, assuming that everything about the picture is standard, normal and average. And there's nothing standard, normal and average about making an underlit background look properly lit.

Here's an extract from my beginner book about mobile phones. Not much detail there, simply because the book is about photography with real cameras.

"But why buy a camera at all, when you already have a smartphone? Well, the great thing about smartphones is that most of us have one with us all the time, and having a ‘phone in our pocket when we want to take a shot beats having a large, heavy camera that’s sitting at home – but there are some major problems with smartphones.

Firstly, the camera side of things is extremely basic, but the software side is brilliant and, to a large extent, makes up for the camera limitations. But the clever software often substitutes real elements for fake ones, putting in detail that the camera missed, and often getting it wrong, For example, some phones recognise the moon when it’s in your photo, remove it and replace it with its own stock photo of the moon. This may be OK if your photo does include the moon, but not so good if it thinks that the football in your photo is the moon . . .

And secondly, the clever software, which includes sophisticated artificial intelligence, does everything for you, taking all control away from you. Apps do exist to allow manual control, but they have limitations.

And, without that control, you can’t learn to improve your photos. And that’s why you need to use a real camera to learn with, even if you also use a phone.

And, in bright sunlight, it can be difficult to see the screen.

And phones are entirely the wrong shape to hold steadily, unlike actual cameras, which have an ergonomic design that makes it easy.

I’ve used my iPhone quite a lot for this book, taking close-up shots of (mainly) the screen on the back of one of my cameras, which it should be perfect for – but, although all of these shots were taken in the same place, with the same lighting conditions at the same time, the colours vary a lot, all of the images have unwanted reflections and some of those reflections, especially of the red phone case, are horrible."
I was refering to the lack of ajustment on the OP's mobile rather than the lighting issues he's got. The background grey needs more light or exposure (as needed) to make it white as you point out.
I just found it odd theres no basic ajustments in the "pro" setting.
I dont have a high end phone just a Samsung A52s and even thats got iso, focus, shutter speed and ev ajustments in it (actually a really good camera IMHO) is it a replacement for a proper camera, heck no. But it's handy and good enough quality for a picture if I dont have my real kit with me.

Back