Getting a Canon Speedlight 430EX off-camera?

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon Speedlight 430EX for my 400D but I've only ever used it "on camera".

What's the easiest/cheapest way to get it off camera? Is it worth doing it wirelessly?

When it's off-camera what controls the flash and automates it with the camera? I've seen the pocketwizards but they're quite expensive as I just want to play around for a bit for now.

Having a system that'd work with a second cheap flashgun (any recommendations?) would be a bonus.

The easiest way is to use a TTL cord from Jessops which means you can get it about a metre off camera.

Otherwise the cheapest wireless route is to use the Cactus triggers off ebay but with any wireless method you lose TTL and have to go fully manual. I got a trigger and 2 receivers for about £30 from Gadget Infinity. The Cactus is great to practice with but not really reliable enough to use professionally. Having said that I've modded them (AA battery pack and new aerial on the transmitter) for about £15 in total materials and they work great now.

Above advice pretty much matches mine. Don't be tempted down the bigger flash/ST-E2 route as they are a waste of cash.

Great advice can be found for use of off-camera flash at strobist.com.

(y)

Is there a cheaper option than the skyports while I'm just playing around?

Also am I right in syaing that I can run several flashes at once so could get a cheap flashgun to compliment my 430EX? If so which cheap ones are best? I've seen a few people mention the Nikon SB26 and other Nikon ones which seem fairly cheap second hand..?

Is there a cheaper option than the skyports while I'm just playing around?

See my post above. The Cactus V2s can be had a lot cheaper than anything else on the market. There's a reason they're cheap but if you just want to experiment they're definiely worth a try. They come with hotshoe adapter built in too, though I have found them to work better through a hotshoe to pc adapter to give them some separation from the flashgun.

See my post above. The Cactus V2s can be had a lot cheaper than anything else on the market. There's a reason they're cheap but if you just want to experiment they're definiely worth a try. They come with hotshoe adapter built in too, though I have found them to work better through a hotshoe to pc adapter to give them some separation from the flashgun.

Is this what you were referring to?

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=16766&cat=274&page=1

That's the same as these right? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-Flas...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Sorry for the slow reply. Yes they are the triggers, and the ebay ones look like they are the same thing.

Back