Getting Away Costs

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Prices have really increased since Covid. Also, having an effect is the blowing up of the Russian gas pipeline after the Russian invasion with all the cost implications of that.

In February we're getting away from what I'm sure will be a normal very cold and wet February. It's often mild in December but not normally as mild as this ,then often the first half of January then we get the cold,rain and Atlantic storms into February. So, it's Los Gigantis,Tenerife for us .Friends go there several times a year, same hotel, so we know it's a good one. Nothing like a personal recommendation.

We're flying from Birmingham and before Covid the cost of a night at the Novotel hotel, next to the airport, was £90 for both of us. We stayed there each time we flew from Birmingham. That included breakfast. It's now £120 each ...without breakfast. That's £14.50...so £29.. so, £269. The standard room with Queen-sized bed & sofa is a headline £92, then you have to supply dates. For us that increased the costs. We used to pay £60 for parking at the airport car park and that is now £90. So far £359. The evening meal will be about £25 each bringing it to £409add on the cost of petrol at £20 in petrol ..Total..£429.:eek:

It's £210 return for a taxi from home and we'd leave at 7 .30am for a 9.00am check-in.

£210 for taxis?? Is there no public bus service from your area to the airport? even if the depot was a shorter taxi ride to get to you'll save quite a bit.

why not just drive and park your own car?
must be plenty long stay parks.
we generally try to fly from our local leeds bradford at a push its £70 taxi dropoff and pick up

The long stays at Birmingham are not that far away from terminals and not too expensive if I recall correctly.

prices for hotels in general are through the roof, a few months ago back end of summer i was paying £150 a night for just premier inn when out on business
the kind of stuff this time last year was like £90 tops

I travel to Fuerteventura a lot, can't complain about prices really if careful about dates.

The last trip in November was £17.99 + £23 for an extra cabin bag outbound, £37 + £23 for an extra cabin bag inbound, priority boarding, seat choice included with Ryanair. Much nicer staff than easyjet, no drama, on time, the only thing lacking is a pocket on the back of the seat in front, I can live with that !!!

Transfer from airport to Corralejo £14 return.

Train to Stansted £48 return, which compared to the flight is a rip off but still not bad.

Booking.com, Airbnb, direct with hotel are all better options usually than a package deal.

Got flight coming up on NYE with Jet2 for £59 outbound inc. 10kg, Ryanair inbound is £159, could have done it for £64 a couple of days later but need to be back.

I've never understood the whole staying at the airport the night before thing, it will never be cost effective.

You can usually get at least 10%, sometimes 13% off onsite car parks with holidayextras.com if you create an account. Stansted have just emailed me a 20% off sale deal.

Re staying the night before, I have done it now and then for convenience - not wanting to be travelling to the airport at pre-dawn, preferring a nights sleep. Also, it's not always about doing it as cheap as you can, for me at least I prefer quality over price - I'd rather not travel if it's going to be a slog or not enjoyable. So, to be fair, I very rarely fly anywhere now unless I can get an upgrade to business class one way or another, and generally I prefer to avoid airports anyway, they are horrible. For anywhere in Europe I prefer ferry and car or train. It may take longer but it's pleasant, and part of the holiday ion its a holiday trip. I don't do business travel any more thankfully except within the UK and in those cases my travel preferences are catered for. I did enough intra-Europe and intercontinental business travel to last a lifetime.

Reactions: Nod
Crete is a bit of a slog by road and ferry! While Mrs Nod's still working, flying is the best option for us - besides, the roads on Crete are almost as bad as those here but much narrower, not ideal for a large estate so we'd need to hire a car while there.

When we flew from Bristol, the flights were early morning so we used to drive up the night before and stay on-site; a shortish walk to the terminal. Worth it for the peace of mind. Pre-covid, we used to get the bus up but it was unreliable.

I travel to Fuerteventura a lot, can't complain about prices really if careful about dates.

The last trip in November was £17.99 + £23 for an extra cabin bag outbound, £37 + £23 for an extra cabin bag inbound, priority boarding, seat choice included with Ryanair. Much nicer staff than easyjet, no drama, on time, the only thing lacking is a pocket on the back of the seat in front, I can live with that !!!

Train to Stansted £48 return, which compared to the flight is a rip off but still not bad.

Booking.com, Airbnb, direct with hotel are all better options usually than a package deal.

Got flight coming up on NYE with Jet2 for £59 outbound inc. 10kg, Ryanair inbound is £159, could have done it for £64 a couple of days later but need to be back.

I've never understood the whole staying at the airport the night before thing, it will never be cost effective.

You can usually get at least 10%, sometimes 13% off onsite car parks with holidayextras.com if you create an account. Stansted have just emailed me a 20% off sale deal.

funny you say that went to Fuerte laast xmas and corralejo realy enjoyed it
in fact realy considering selling the Greece house and buying in the Canarys for the all year round sun, its rubbish on Crete in winter.

£210 for taxis?? Is there no public bus service from your area to the airport? even if the depot was a shorter taxi ride to get to you'll save quite a bit.

No. The first and last one is 1930 :) As you'll appreciate, we can't rely on the trains as the strikes haven't stopped re ASLEF.

why not just drive and park your own car?
must be plenty long stay parks.
we generally try to fly from our local leeds bradford at a push its £70 taxi dropoff and pick up

We've done that each time but going up the night before so if there are any delays on the M6 but more likely the M42, it won't matter. It would matter on the morning BUT.. I think we're going to have to leave early..6.30am and go in the car and hope we get there without any holdups. We should be ok quite close to the airport before morning rush hour and I'll have an alternative A road route to hand. The King doesn't have these problems. The Royal Family have two helicopters at their dosposal.

The long stays at Birmingham are not that far away from terminals and not too expensive if I recall correctly.

We've always parked in the airport long-stay .There's a s very frequent shuttle bus service from the car parks to the terminal .Just 5 minutes. As mentioned in my post, it's £90 now, used to be £60 pre Covid and Russia's war with Ukraine. etc. The only reason I mentioned the cost..now £90..was in relation to the £240 for the hotel evening meal and overnight plus brekky. I was totlalling up the cost overall. £90 is fine. £60 was better...lol. I'd have thought an increase crease to £75 would have been justified re employee wage increaase since 201 9 but £90. ? I suppose the electric to operate the barriers and ANPR system costs more,too...lol.

Sounds good but we do packages. Tui-Jet2..both have been excellent and the last one to Lake Magiorre,Italy, with Citalia. Also, excellent. We have friends who once missed a flight to the US because there was a serious accident on a motorway en-route to Heathrow. It's a risk and going up to an airport the night before ...depending on the departure time,of course, gives piece of mind. At Birmingham airport Novotel you just walk 50m to the terminal.After the Lake Maggiore flight from Heathrow last June my wife refuses to fly from there. again. Never again she says...Lol. There were so many people it was stressful.

Btw. I'm sure retailers and the hospitality industry are overcharging and trying to recoup lost revenue as a result of Covid restrictions .The problem is that when they get back into good profits prices won't come down.

So..Yesterday, my wife sees that overnight tonight in the Novotel is £93 for both of us. She thinks we're booking too early and that the price will come down to that level much nearer the date. You'd think an early booking would get a better price than one booked a few days before travel. Funny old world. We'll hang on. I did think £240 was a bit much. I wonder if anyone actually books at that price ? I suppose they must do or it would't be advertised at that. Dunno.

Whatever, we need to go up the night before because my wife used to use that M42 we'd have to go on south of Birmingham and, without fail, she would be held up for a considerable amount of time. Can't argue with experience.

Btw. I'm sure retailers and the hospitality industry are overcharging and trying to recoup lost revenue as a result of Covid restrictions .The problem is that when they get back into good profits prices won't come down.
Overcharging is perhaps not the right word. Every business needs to make a profit to survive. If people feel they are being overcharged they don't have to go there. For example I would love to go to the Festival of Speed again, but I am unlikely to go as a spectator, because the prices at nearby hotels is just to much. (now that is overcharging when you put up rooms by £100+ just for that weekend)

Overcharging is perhaps not the right word. Every business needs to make a profit to survive. If people feel they are being overcharged they don't have to go there. For example I would love to go to the Festival of Speed again, but I am unlikely to go as a spectator, because the prices at nearby hotels is just to much. (now that is overcharging when you put up rooms by £100+ just for that weekend
When I lived up north I once went to Oulton Park race track. Hellish noisy...lol

I think this sentence from the answers in the sixth contribution by RojBlake in the above link sums it up.

"The truth is no one knows, as there are just too many factors at play"

Btw.On Christmas Eve I tried to respond to your post to me in HT but when I went to post HT had been closed for Christmas. I was aware it was going to close because I saw a post by Marc who said it would be closed on Christmas Day..ie the following day. He was just responding someone. I thought I had until midnight Christmas Eve. I don't know when it will open again because I haven't seen any notification but no doubt there is one somewhere. I've still got my response so I didn't ignore your post. I do miss posting in the Ukraine thread as events keep unfolding.

Last edited:
It can be worth booking through Expedia or Booking.com - often their prices are lower than on the chain website.

It can be worth booking through Expedia or Booking.com - often their prices are lower than on the chain website.

My wife does use Booking. com and did so for this and it was the same. As you say, Toni, It's normally a better deal through them. Maybe it's because February is a time that people like to get away from the UK to warmer climes and the price refelcts that but we'll keep an eye on it..It's £94 until it hits February then £240.

if your lucky enough to have the money then spend it there's no pockets in a shroud .. not been abroad since my heart failure so no idea on insurance costs but this does put me off even looking .. and BTW u.k holiday costs have also doubled especially on camping and caravanning pitches probably down to electric prices and a bit of profiteering

if your lucky enough to have the money then spend it there's no pockets in a shroud .. not been abroad since my heart failure so no idea on insurance costs but this does put me off even looking .. and BTW u.k holiday costs have also doubled especially on camping and caravanning pitches probably down to electric prices and a bit of profiteering
Avanti are surprisingly good value for existing medical conditions, my brother in law pays around £50 a month and he's got serious heart issues. There's usually a 20% discount offer on most of the year.

Last edited:

That's very true,Jeff. The shroud bit. One way or another, we will stay overnight either at the Novotel or accomodation a few miles away but where we don't have to use that M42. I think that £240 for the two of us at the Novotel will come down as the date nears.

Sorry to read about you heart condition. With modern pacemakers you should be able to go where you want...or were you referring to the cost of insurance ,which seems ok according to Pete's post re Avanti. ?

Last edited:
I think I'll keep this going, every now and then until we get a decent price to show just how variable the prices are. Pricing is, obviously, very dynamic.

So.. The cost went from £240 last week for the two of us, to £201 yesterday and when my wife checked today it had gone to £245.

Last edited:
I think I'll keep this going, evert now and then until we get a decent price to show just how variable the prices are. Pricing is, obviously, very dynamic.

So.. The cost went from £240 last week for the two of us, to £201 yesterday and when my wife checked today it had gone to £245.

Probably my mistake, but when I checked the bed and breakfast rate for mid Feb. was £164 for two people on the Novotel site. Do your dates clash with half term?

I have been tracking the price of the Premier Inn in Banbury and the best rates are for early bookings. Who knows how hotel pricing works.

Overcharging is perhaps not the right word. Every business needs to make a profit to survive. If people feel they are being overcharged they don't have to go there. For example I would love to go to the Festival of Speed again, but I am unlikely to go as a spectator, because the prices at nearby hotels is just to much. (now that is overcharging when you put up rooms by £100+ just for that weekend)

We had similar a few years ago. We were thinking of booking a weekend in Weymouth and the prices were crazy. Turned out it was the same weekend as some sailing regatta or harbour festival :rolleyes:

Probably my mistake, but when I checked the bed and breakfast rate for mid Feb. was £164 for two people on the Novotel site. Do your dates clash with half term?

I have been tracking the price of the Premier Inn in Banbury and the best rates are for early bookings. Who knows how hotel pricing works.

No not school hols. We avoid them :)

Here's an interesting article. Just shows how complex pricing is. https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1773671/when-to-book-hotels-cheapest

Back