Getting close to wild birds

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
How do people get close enough to shoot closeups of wild birds. Is it a case of being at the right place at the right time or do people hide for periods of time in locations where there is bird activity until the birds come to them? Is a portable tent / hide something people use. How many hours at a time do you spend in one spot? So far I've just been walking around and don't have any camouflage. I've also found that places popular with runners and dog walkers tend to have very nervous birds

Is it a case of being at the right place at the right time or do people hide for periods of time in locations where there is bird activity

There is a third option.

To attract birds where you want to have them.
That implies that you can chose the location,
the decor, the light direction, theBG etc

See…

Personally, there is a marsh close by that I visit
very often.

Have a good time!

Last edited:
Most places with people activity,the birds should get used to human traffic. Try local parks,just sit a while and watch.

I,myself,tried to set up a feeding station in my garden,without any luck. I could only attract starlings ,so I ended up heading out to a piece of land ,not far from me,but wild enough for different species.
It works simple enough,build a feeding table and to the left or right of that somewhere for the birds to land. You can then collect branches for perches ,you can then change the perches for different shots.

The thing is you have to keep feeding and they will come everyday,so you are helping birds in winter.

if you want to drop me an email,ill send you on a few photos of the set up.
steelydan(at)upcmail(dot)ie

How do people get close enough to shoot closeups of wild birds. Is it a case of being at the right place at the right time or do people hide for periods of time in locations where there is bird activity until the birds come to them? Is a portable tent / hide something people use. How many hours at a time do you spend in one spot? So far I've just been walking around and don't have any camouflage. I've also found that places popular with runners and dog walkers tend to have very nervous birds
It depends on which birds you want to photograph. I was photographing Gannets yesterday and I went to Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire - guaranteed to see lots of gannets. Saturday, we were looking for nightingales - that involved being up at stupid o'clock to travel to the right place (Whisby Nature Park near Lincoln) before the nightingales bedded down for their early siesta (heard several, saw one, no photographs).

Gill what you are asking about is basically called field craft,it's a wide ranging subject and probably worth digging for. how it is applied would depend much on the subject you want to find and shoot plus what you want to do This is your fun,to some extent what works for you or what you enjoy doing is the best way . Two togs can approach a subject in different ways one isn't right the other wrong.

Field craft essentially means learning about a bird or animal and applying that knowledge to get close to me. It's almost a separate thing to learn to the side of actually using and learning how to use the camera. you can walk up to some subjects, or sit and wait it is your choice,but obviously knowing about your subject's habits will mean you will have a better chance of choosing the right one for you in a given situation at a given time. Gill you can find bird hides at reserves WWT local wildlife trusts etc which might present yo with chances. You can use a pop up hide you can cover yourself in camo, you might not need either but without subject knowledge even if you apply both you might never see the subject you want to see because you don't know where it lives what time of day it might present a chance etc,

Gill it's such a wide ranging subject to cover it here is tricky it's a skillset basically hard won by each individual and also tailored to what that guy /gal has fun making images of. I suppose sitting and waiting and for how long is almost a piece of string question,some of us spend hours days weeks even trying to get an image maybe a certain image. Those hours spent and degrees of frustration are part of this game,but the subject knowledge field craft will mean the tog is at least waiting in the right place with a goodly guess of when the subject might show up,luck is a player wildlife birds do what they want to do.
Gill Have a dig on fieldcraft and wildlife or bird photography find what appeals to you,you having fun is important in all this . you can make a hide at home feeders etc reflection ponds are fun, or travel the globe,there are hotspots togs often go to already mentioned in a reply above both in blighty and across the planet. You might never want to see another sole just be out in a wildplace waiting for a humble wabbit,tis your photography. You can even pay for someone else to do the craft say pay for a hide to shoot kingfishers,it's all your choice.

Some specifics regarding getting closer, move slow don't stare at a subject all the camo in the world won't help if your movement is erratic, don't necessarily take a direct line in your approach use cover if necessary,don't really know what else to write mate without making this an essay,so have tried to give some pointers for you to research off.
Oh I'm a novice tog who bumbles about in head to toe camo as a rule,i'm not terribly fond of hides but have no probs using them,I just like being free to move really.

Have fun Gill,one last thing,field craft..... knowing your subject,has another side I just thought I'd mention,it's the bird or beasties well fare. If you know them you will have a good handle on what you might do to disturb or stress them,This is desparately important knowing when to back away or leave alone is good knowledge to have. Some subjects might have legal resrtictions placed on say photographing them breeding,for example again worthy of mention.

take care

stu

Stuart

That is one of the best, well written posts I've read in a long time. Thank you for taking the time to write out such a concise post.:clap:

wow, thanks lads, I get so damn much from this I guess it's natural to want that for the next tog,always tricky when one has a real idea of how little i know too,real kind though

back to small fluffy things with big ears

thank you

ha ha Den,you hit the wrong smiley ,that's you bird togs making me stare too hard:D

Just arrived up in Scotland so will get some kip and read all the comments properly after some rest.

One other little tip, that I've been getting to grips with over this past year, is to learn as many bird calls as you can. You might be out after something specific but realise there is a lot more than meets the eye in the immediate vicinity!

Very handy and still learning them but it has been a help :)

Also, patience is key.

Been watching the local Grey Wags the last couple of days, one half decent photo, not good enough to post though. But, yesterday, I was there without my pop up hide, just sitting next to a big boulder. Had a blue t-shirt on (just finished work and was on way home but nipped in to see them) and they got used to me after about 20-30 mins. Sod's law though, I was watching a Wren that was checking me out about 3 feet away, when I looked back to the Wags and the adult was about a foot from from my feet! Typical lol :)

Stu's post is cracking and enjoy Scotland.

The only hide I have ever sat in is my car and I have got very close to all kinds of shy birds and animals frame filling little grebes, sparrow hawks, buzzards, marsh harriers, deer and hares to name a few.

There are birds everywhere looking in the right place helps and the internet gives away a lot of secrets. Search through flickr for locations, groups, birds you want, local bird club sightings etc. I now recognise sticks or fields where a bird was photographed at and I know others do as well.

I have had a few people message me asking where I have taken photos and have helped them out. I know they could turn up and see nothing or not turn up at all but if they are asking and where they want to go is public land I am usually happy to help. Some people might not do the same but if you share a passion and say you will respect the location and wildlife they might not mind sharing.

Local lakes and ponds are always good to try as well. A pond near us is full of dog walkers, kids playing yet is full of wildlife, I feel well out of place with a 500mm let alone slipping into camo. One of my mates does though and slips onto bushes to photograph kingfishers. Most people would never spot him or the kingfisher for that matter. Sit down and wait it is amazing what can turn up remember to look up as well. Where there are lots of small birds there will be birds that eat them as well.

As for camo some swear by it, I do have a camo coat which I wear in the winter because it is very warm and left over from my shooting days but I don't wear it for the camo effect. I was standing next to a mate in full camo this week as he always says it helps, I had jeans, a tshirt and baseball cap on and we had Hobby's coming so close 500mm was too much. I would add a hat is the good bit of kit though. Birds do get spooked by faces.

As for how long in one spot depends on what you want. I have spent hours in a freezing field waiting for barn owls, I spent 2 hours driving somewhere the other day for Short Eared Owls and drew a blank on them but still got photos of other stuff. I have cycled 100s miles along canals looking for hot spots for owls. There are people driving from Wales to take a picture of a Cukkoo in Surrey, they must pass loads on the way but this one is used to people and loves meal worms so it is easier. I have spent days trying to photograph the one near me and will keep trying rather than take the easy option but I will then know no one else has the same shot or put in that graft, I might not get it but there are always other photo opportunities whilst trying.

You have to be in it to win it, get out and about borrow a dog if you don't have one a 2-3 mile walk along a river, canal or in a country park will produce result especially if you do it often.

Good luck.

I was photographing Dippers at a local Weir and found a stick that might come in handy as a perch, stuck it in the gravel next to the weir wall. While opening a soft drink, a Kingfisher landed on the stick and then hastily flew off.

I spend 100 hours at that weir in the coming weeks (longest 10 hours) and nothing. I did however spot a Mink ( who went to cover very quick) an Otter came up to within 6 feet of me,too much for my 300+1.4x converter and a Fox wandered in the field opposite me after a nights hunting. All this from just going cross-eyed looking at the stick . I did manage to get a Cormorant that cam for his dinner and rested on a rock on the top of the weir to dry off. All from the comfort of a piece of Camo netting draped to a few trees.

Bottom Line, Sit and Enjoy Nature

Taking%20The%20Plunge_FB_zpsncbmf0uv.jpg

Cormorant_On_Guard_FB_zpsqfru7dqv.jpg

Such a variety of suggestions and information from all who have replied. I'm very grateful. It really is amazing what you can see unexpectedly. My folks live in the West of Scotland, and today I decided to hang about the garden with my camera to watch the starling fledglings which have now left their nest here. Was interesting to see them being fussed over by the adults who were constantly darting backwards and forwards looking for food.

I was taken by surprise to see them all disappear, and shortly after a bird of prey of some sortl flying overhead with maybe 12 adult starlings chasing it. Unfortunately I wasn't ready - so I was sad to have missed the opportunity, however I did later notice a small bird in the hedge and was thrilled to find it was a bird I hadn't seen before. I think it was a Goldcrest. Really surprised to have seen it in our garden - and I've spent so many years here in the past.

GSC_2800 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

I must admit I love seeing birds I haven't seen before, even more so if I can catch them on the camera in their natural habitat. Hopefully with some camo and a bit of patience I'll be able to spot and shoot some interesting wildlife I haven't seen before especially with the information you guys have given

Last edited:
Well done on capturing the Goldcrest, took me ages to get one ... and you find yours in your garden! :D

Goldcrest taken through glass from our landing window. XT-1 with 18-135. took a lot of shots at it. It is very fast and and never seems to stand still.

Attachments

• 2017-05-02-1126-48-crop_v1-gold-crest.jpg
    2017-05-02-1126-48-crop_v1-gold-crest.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 25
Well done on capturing the Goldcrest, took me ages to get one ... and you find yours in your garden! :D
I'll be sure to look about for it next time I'm up. I never ceases to amaze me the birds that visit the garden. Today, in Sheffield a Jay visited our garden. Beautiful bird, and it perched on our bird stand. Unfortunately I didn't have the camera on standby, and wonder if I should just leave it out on the tripod all weekend (worried about dust).

I'll be sure to look about for it next time I'm up. I never ceases to amaze me the birds that visit the garden. Today, in Sheffield a Jay visited our garden. Beautiful bird, and it perched on our bird stand. Unfortunately I didn't have the camera on standby, and wonder if I should just leave it out on the tripod all weekend (worried about dust).
I don't think I would ever leave mine out "all weekend"!

I don't think I would ever leave mine out "all weekend"!

I meant in my lounge - I wouldn't leave it unattended in the garden. :)

Knowledge... this is much more important if you want to find a specific species, but not so much if you just want to get pictures of birds. Knowledge of their behavior, what's likely to flush them, etc,etc is also relevant... but only after you have found them.

Luck... even if they are around they may not show. And even if you see them you they may not provide a good photo opportunity.

Patience and persistence... they won't generally come out when you first arrive. If you sat out in your yard all day for several days, you would probably be surprised by what you might see.

Skill... when an opportunity does present itself you generally have to be very quick and you probably won't get many chances that day. There's no time to figure out camera settings/etc.

That's another good point raised by Steven ,always try to ensure your camera is set up right at all times ,when arriving at a new spot take a couple of test shots and check on screen and via your histogram ,no good seeing the rarest bird in the world if you grossly over or under expose the shots

Ok, I am feeling a bit demonic at the moment sooooo......

You could always get the camera closer to the birds, without touching it. Break off a suitable twig, place it with tie wraps and jubilee clips onto a suitable post. Set up some food so the birds will most likely use the twig to have a look around before going for the food.

Set up your camera close to the twig, use either wifi to trigger it or set it on time lapse. Bob's your uncle, you have highly detailed bird photos.

To get even better resolution without blur, use a flash, you can then take your really sharp bird on a twig photo with a dark background and paste it into a suitable background. Hey presto, the bird looks like it is a tree and in natural conditions and you can see the microbes around it's beak, which is what bird photography is all about, isn't it?

Here is one I took earlier with my Xperia Z2 phone with Lapse It Pro :)

21 by Awgy Dawg, on Flickr
dateposted-public

Last edited:
Back