Getting closer

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering how you get closer to your subjects in the wild (without having to use a longer lens) is it a case of just sitting and waiting or another method ie a hide, camo clothing, netting or any other method.

Experience counts for a lot. If you know your subject then you get a feel for how close you can get, what sort of angle you can walk towards them at, how to make them feel that you're just passing through and aren't really interested in them at all.

:plus1:

and do some research on their habits and where they normally are at certain times of day, then just get there and wait down wind

A hide or simple camo net screen will help, then keep still and wait for them to come to you, either select an area the birds frequent or encourage them with some seed, or a feeder.

May be worth finding out if there are any bird watching clubs near to you, they may have somewhere with access to fixed hides.

Once again thanks for the replies. I should probably get some clothing which doesn't "rustle" as I currently use my walking gear when out taking photo's which as i stated does rustle.
seen some on hunting websites which seem ok. any thoughts or am i going over the top.

Last edited:
Your not going over the top and though i do use camo gear I do wonder how often you really need it.
For instance if you are moving around, no camo gear is going to hide you and I think any subtle clothing will do. It is a good idea to cover your face and hands because the white of the face is what alarms a lot of animals (assuming you are white of course). I often wear a camo net type balaclava and a bush hat to break up the shape of the head.
Camo comes into its own when you are in hiding and still, so using a hide or indeed just a bit of scrim netting will often do.

You need to check an area around, find out how the animal moves around and where it visits, pick your spot and then settle down early and just wait for them to come to you.

I have yet to try a ghillie suit, I would use one if I was in the right place and after the right animal but would feel a bit self conscious in my local park. ;)

If your'e not in a hide you must break up your outline, a ghillie suit is a great piece of kit better than any hide ( hides restrict your 360 view) but obviously your camera and tripod need to be covered in a similar way. If you dont want to wear a ghillie suit its essential to cover your hands and face , wear loose clothes in natural colours greens or browns and stay still .
Knowing the animal, where it feeds and how it gets there is handy so you can wait on it coming to you.......sometimes they dont turn up but animals lives revolves around food so if you know where that is you will be successful most of the time.....as long as they dont see or smell you.

Smell & sound are more important than people think.

If your a smoker, dont when your out, no aftershaves, antiperspirant, scented soaps, if your gear is freshly washed then just rub some leaf litter over yourself to mask it.

Turn your mobile to silent & turn vibration off, you'd be surprised how many calls come just at the wrong time ;)

Camo clothing helps but only when its matched to the terrain, mossy oak/real tree hardwoods is great in woodland but out in grassland you stand out but in general you can get away without going out looking like your on an SAS mission, its just common sense really, no shiny things, keep low, wear dull colours (browns, greens, greys)

when stalking anything keep downwind of it, that means you ideally want the wind blowing towards you, not away from you.

I was lucky my father taught us country craft and how to sneak up on critters when we were kids, he once managed to sneak up on a deer and tap it on the shoulder.. it took off like a missile!! :D

Back