Getting film processed?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I just found my parents old 35mm cameras, some were very decent back in the day but I took out my mums 1st 35mm for a bit and bought some 35mm film. Now im not sure where the cheapest place to get them processed would be.

Boots?

Personally I just use one of the local independant guys. Only time I had any issues, he sorted them out for me quick sharp. Might be worth looking round your area see if you have anything like that.

Tesco for cheap and cheerful, Ilford and the like for tres important, local guys for good stuff.

^^^WHS^^^ Tesco or Asda for test films and stuff that isn't really important. Usually £1.99/2.99 for dev and CD, a little more if you want prints as well.

For develop and CD, Tesco and Asda are good and cheap but if you want quality prints, you might as well get Ilford Lab to do it.

http://www.ilfordlab.com/page/57/Black-and-White-Prints-from-Film.htm

Sure their slightly more, about (£11.69 inc P&P) but the actual quality is well worth it as they print on real B&W paper, they don't cheat and use colour like a lot of cheaper places do, which can affect the quality of the print and show colour tints.

If you want it even cheaper though, for just £9.95 7 day shop do a mailer for Ilford for 6x4" prints and return postage.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=6073

Just my thoughts on where to get it done(y)

I want to get my home developed B/W films scanned.
Does anyone know of a cheap service for doing that? I asked in snappy snap today, and their che#arges are 10quids.
Or do I have to buy a decent scanner and got to do home scanning?

I want to get my home developed B/W films scanned.
Does anyone know of a cheap service for doing that? I asked in snappy snap today, and their che#arges are 10quids.
Or do I have to buy a decent scanner and got to do home scanning?

I looked into it, and soon realised that something like the canoscan 8800F I bought would soon pay for itself. Indeed, within a week it did, as I picked up a job scanning a mate's old portfolio shots into digital format, and producing prints of a bunch of slides for him. This more than paid the £180 or so the scanner cost.

edit: though if i'm being absolutely honest, the main reason was that I could shoot, soup and scan in the same day - hey, I can't help it - i've been spoiled by the immediacy of digital, but still like the look and feel of film.

Ah, so you will be reasonable happy if I send you my negatives and some cash....:D:D

Jokes apart, whats the cheapest decent scanner I can get, given that I'll use it for b/w 35mm only...

considering the quality of your camera collection, Ujjwal, it would be a terrible shame to use some of the cheaper scanners - quality glass on the front of the camera deserves a decent scanner at the end of the process. I have to say, I'm pretty happy with my Canoscan 8800F, though I'm aware lots of people rate the Epson V500 - both of these will also handle stuff from the XPan incidentally, and 120 should you wish.

I always get my colours developed from club 35; and Xpan scanning needs s/w jiggery pokery that I know nothing about.

The only ones I was planning to scan were the B/W I develop myself. And the question is, will it be cheaper to get them scanned in a lab or buying a scanner.

Whats the sort of price I am looking at to get a V500 or 8800?

Club 35 scans for 6quids. So for 100 quids I can get 15 rolls scanned. And I will shoot 15 rolls of B/w in about 4-6 months.

My canoscan was around £180 new iirc. - the good thing about flatbed scanners, is that they WILL scan a whole XPan panoramic frame in one go, rather than having to stitch them together as you would if it was scanned on the single frame 35mm machines (which in fairness have a bit higher quality than a flatbed) Over a year it'd probably pay for itself.

Definitely is more economical to buy a scanner but I don't really see the point of spending that much on a flatbed. For 35mm the quality is always going to be hampered on a flatbed and 120 scans well on most things. Personally, I would get a cheapish 120 capable flatbed and send away for anything you need scanning well. That said, I shoot 95% black and white which I print in the darkroom anyway.

I can also vouch for the 8800F and I paid £130ish for it about a year ago so I'd expect you could pick one up for around a hundred now. It's more than capable of producing good quality for web and I've lent it to someone who produced A1 prints from 35mm slides it pretty effectively! Obviously it's no drum scanner but it does a cracking job for the price.

I checked with ASDA, and they scan for 2 quids. Is the quality acceptable? anyone knows?

I had some films dev'd and scanned by Asda, not bad a bit blotchy in places but acceptable. They also scanned a hi and lo res version.

Fine for the money (y)

Back