Getting my first camera and need help choosing

Name
Tricia
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi im going to Disney land this year and wanted to buy a decent camera (either bridge or dlsr) that i can take good pictures on. I have around £150 to spend, i know this isnt a great amount of money to buy something but i dont mind buying second hand. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on what sort of camera i could buy. I have seen a bridge camera within my price range i was looking at the kodak pixpro AZ422 on argos for £149 what do you think this would be good enough for taking family photos around disneyland. i would appreciate all opinions thanks :confused::)

Last edited:
I'd buy a compact that fits in your pocket. Carrying a camera around Disneyland would be annoying

I'd buy a compact that fits in your pocket. Carrying a camera around Disneyland would be annoying

Agree, only take a dslr if you know what to do with it. Otherwise p&s for the memories

With £150 you should be able to afford a Canon 40D + EF-S 18-55 kit lens. If you've never used a DSLR before there may be a bit of a learning curve to go through; try to buy well before you go so you can have some time to practise.

Alternatively, if you think you will mainly be taking pictures in daylight, a Canon G9 compact could be a good option as well. As long as you shoot at ISO 80 or ISO 100 image quality is very good and it has an optical viewfinder which you might need in bright sunlight. I had one of these but sold it when I switched to a Sony RX100 MkI.

A Sony RX100 MkI could possibly also be picked up for the budget. Image quality is excellent, but it lacks a viewfinder so in bright sunlight you might not be able to compose the picture very well.

If you're happy with no viewfinder you could also look at a Panasonic LX1 or LX3 or LX5. One of these would potentially fall well within your budget. I have the LX1 for my kids but would be happy to use it myself in a pinch.

If you just want to take some pictures, buy the best point and shoot compact camera in your budget (secondhand if necessary). If you want to take up photography as a hobby in itself, then consider a dslr.
Lots of people buy dslrs who have no interest in photography and a good compact is more suitable for their needs.

Hi im going to Disney land this year and wanted to buy a decent camera (either bridge or dlsr) that i can take good pictures on. I have around £150 to spend, i know this isnt a great amount of money to buy something but i dont mind buying second hand. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on what sort of camera i could buy. I have seen a bridge camera within my price range i was looking at the kodak pixpro AZ422 on argos for £149 what do you think this would be good enough for taking family photos around disneyland. i would appreciate all opinions thanks :confused::)
Don't think bridge cameras and DSLRs are similar, they're not. Bridge cameras are pretty much just compact cameras wrapped up in a different body but often with longer zooms.

As above, I'd just get a decent compact camera that's nice a pocketable.

Lots of good advice above. All I would add - and this comes from personal experience - is to seriously consider getting something with a viewfinder if you are going to be out in bright sunlight (assume you will be as it's a Disney trip).

To be honest, I would just use your phone, I have been to Disney a few times and Universal a few times, and only took the camera out once. You will have enough to carry with water bottles, snacks and stuff and depending on what rides you go on, will be sure to get a soaking. The camera is just another think to worry about. If you wanted something small at the price point I would get a good compact or bridge. If you wanted to go the DSLR route, then you will be looking at an second hand canon 1000d or something at that cash point, with maybe the kit lens as well.

Is it Florida or Paris you are going to, as if its Florida and you were doing other stuff such as swamp tours, then you would definitely want a bigger camera.

In fact I have the very camera I bought for my trip to Florida that I will be selling soon, it might meet your needs. I will send on the details of it.

I took an Olympus Micro 4/3rds camera to Disney in California and took some pictures we as a family will treasure forever.
Anything bigger would have been really inconvenient and I had to leave my camera with my partner on the rides that get you wet.

If you're not interested in photography as a hobby then a rugged compact would be my choice.
You should get decent images and you can take it on rides - use the wrist strap - without worrying about it getting wet or knocked.
This for example - though I haven't researched it for you.
http://www.wexphotographic.com/panasonic-lumix-dmc-ft30-digital-camera-blue-1565821/
If you add a WiFi SD card you can copy images on the go to post to facebook etc from your phone.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Fl...&refinements=p_n_feature_browse-bin:411645031

Assuming California you'll get great shots with a camera phone in most places as there's lots of light. Paris may be less so.

If you just want to take some pictures, buy the best point and shoot compact camera in your budget (secondhand if necessary). If you want to take up photography as a hobby in itself, then consider a dslr.
Lots of people buy dslrs who have no interest in photography and a good compact is more suitable for their needs.

Plenty of people also buy dslr's/mirrorless cameras never take them off auto and get better results than they would if they went with the average compact!

Personally I'd say unless your going high end compact you might as well stick with a smart phone the image quality in my other halfs iphone 7 is jaw dropping!

Personally I'd say unless your going high end compact you might as well stick with a smart phone the image quality in my other halfs iphone 7 is jaw dropping!
I have the iPhone 7 and it is good, although I wouldn't say jaw dropping ;) The only trouble with phones vs compacts is the lack of zoom.

I have the iPhone 7 and it is good, although I wouldn't say jaw dropping ;) The only trouble with phones vs compacts is the lack of zoom.

It's better than any compact I've owned including the canon s110 that's now gathering dust as the wife just uses her phone. I think the image quality is staggering for a phone camera and more than good enough for most casual stuff, lack of zoom is a pain but for screen use and small prints cropping is always an option!

It's better than any compact I've owned including the canon s110 that's now gathering dust as the wife just uses her phone. I think the image quality is staggering for a phone camera and more than good enough for most casual stuff, lack of zoom is a pain but for screen use and small prints cropping is always an option!
Staggering for a phone I will agree with (y)

Back