Getting my work online (at last)

Edit My Images
Yes
Guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right (or more likely, wrong!) place for posting this question, but I'm wondering if anyone out there can offer me some advice...

I've finally taken the leap and (temporarily) retired my Canon 1000D in favour of a much swankier Canon 50D, along with a lens with an L in the name and a few other new toys. I've also decided that I'm going to set up a website, along with the help of another photographer who's probably still lurking around here somewhere.

So last week I went out and bought me a nice shiny domain name that appealed to me, and I've enlisted a website designer to assist with the actual setting up of the website, and me and the other photographer will be filling it with photos and stuff. Naturally, we'll be bunging a watermark and the like on the pictures so they can't be stolen, but this is where things get a bit tricky....

... what happens if someone asks either myself or my colleague to do something like a wedding? Do I need to do anything to cover myself and/or my colleague if we end up making money for one off jobs?

I'm guessing that I'll have to set up a company or something like that, but I really don't know... and I'm hoping someone out there will help!

Thanks guys!

Its a bit of a strange post....

Your title is about going on line then you ask about weddings :thinking:

Well you should register with the taxman on any income you make...
Set up possible self employed or partnership with the other tog...

You will find more info in TALK BUSINESS section on setting up...

Guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right (or more likely, wrong!) place for posting this question, but I'm wondering if anyone out there can offer me some advice...

I've finally taken the leap and (temporarily) retired my Canon 1000D in favour of a much swankier Canon 50D, along with a lens with an L in the name and a few other new toys. I've also decided that I'm going to set up a website, along with the help of another photographer who's probably still lurking around here somewhere.

So last week I went out and bought me a nice shiny domain name that appealed to me, and I've enlisted a website designer to assist with the actual setting up of the website, and me and the other photographer will be filling it with photos and stuff. Naturally, we'll be bunging a watermark and the like on the pictures so they can't be stolen, but this is where things get a bit tricky....

... what happens if someone asks either myself or my colleague to do something like a wedding? Do I need to do anything to cover myself and/or my colleague if we end up making money for one off jobs?

I'm guessing that I'll have to set up a company or something like that, but I really don't know... and I'm hoping someone out there will help!

Thanks guys!

I think it is safe to say they won't unless you have a lot of examples of weddings you have done with other people. If you haven't done any before and yet someone still asks, please don't accept to be the sole photographer for someones wedding as you will almost certainly mess it up for them and ruin one of the most important days of their life :)

But they won't ask.

Back