Getting Older?

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
It struck me tonight, when I stumbled upon the latest 'celebrity' list for this year's I'm A Celebrity, that I didn't really know most of them. Farage yes but that's about it.

Might show how much TV I (don't) watch, or is it that I'm getting older and 'celebrities' are getting younger? :thinking:

It also got me thinking, 10 years ago, with a bit of training, I could probably have run a marathon. These days? No way, I can barely climb a reasonable hillside without having to stop halfway, something that not that long ago (well, feels like it) I would hardly have broken a sweat.

I'm still the right side of 60 but this last few years, I've slowed. Colds also seem to affect me more, particularly the cough, leaving me short of breath. Again, years ago, whilst a cough/cold was unpleasant, I could still function OK.

Muscles ache more, joints too and getting up off the ground if I ever need to takes some thought. :oops: :$

Toilet trips and hairstyles, I won't go there. :LOL:

Scary. :runaway:

I/we rarely watch any live tv, except for the football.

Years ago and in the early days of it I had a gf who loved "Big Brother." She'd done "Media" or something to that effect at Uni but she had no idea about the 1984 references. I haven't watched anything like that since.

I/we rarely watch any live tv, except for the football.

Years ago and in the early days of it I had a gf who loved "Big Brother." She'd done "Media" or something to that effect at Uni but she had no idea about the 1984 references. I haven't watched anything like that since.

The first Big Brother was the best, many have tried but failed since. Remember Nasty Nick?

I stopped watching that years ago.

I forgot to mention eyesight, used to have 20/20 until about 7 or so years ago. I was reading the display on a central heating boiler and there was a wall right behind my head. I couldn't focus on the display or move my head backwards to get it in focus. I've worn readers since.

I'm A Celebrity, that I didn't really know most of them.
I've not known any of them for years,
I stopped watching years ago, when I christened it, I wanna be a celebrity,
get me in that f*****g jungle...

I'm still the right side of 60 but this last few years, I've slowed.
I'm just over 10 years older than you, make the most, of what you have, it doesn't get any better or easier :)

Last edited:
I do remember Nasty Nick. I remember watching with the former GF.

I also remember the chants of "Get Grace out" and "Grace is going home." Googling tells me that was Big Brother 7 in 2006?

These days we do watch some reality TV. I like The Apprentice and me and Mrs WW both like the pottery and woodworking competitions. I'm safe from celebrity shows as Mrs WW can't stand anything like that.

Oh. PS.
I've just remembered another moment from those days. George Galloway saying "Would you like me to be the cat." We looked at each other and howled with laughter.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see Nigel Farage in it :) Can't see him winning as too many haters but will be fun... I also know and looking forward to Fred Sirieix and Grace Dent

Yeagh being the same age as old people sucks :(

Although I am fitter now than I was at 40 when I gave up aftre 24 yrs of smoking ... I couldnt make the top of the stairs without wheezing .. now I can run up and down them

66 and counting :~)

Getting old is a crock of s*** but age is a very vague convcept other than literally a number. I feel better/fitter now than 15 years ago, like Kipax I gave up a long term smoking habit, and whilst I have put on weight and now have asthma, I feel more energetic than I did then (although I definitely can't run up the stairs still and I now grunt when I get out of the armchair). Having a young active dog to walk helps.

I definitely can't run up the stairs
I can usually get up there OK ( can be useful :D ) but no way can I run either
and I now grunt when I get out of the armchair
Normally that's not an issue.
However, I've twisted my back recently, its bloody painful, and I've no idea how that happened.
So both of the above are an issue :(

So now I'm plugged into my TENS machine, hoping for some relief.
Yep, that's the joys of getting older.

I think the level of celebrity has definitely been on the slide since day one - it’s not just you!

Having said that, there’s no denying Nigel’s fame/notoriety!

Last edited:
I have not known so called celebrities for years. We only watch 30 mins tv an evening and then it is often a repeat! such as I Claudius or a nature program. My wife watches Gardener's World and we watch University Challenge.

I am 75 and still do 25 mins aerobic exercise most days along with strength exercises, flexibility exercises and balance exercises four times a week.
If we don't go out for a longer walk (6 to 10 miles) we do 3 miles around the local park each morning.

Growing old is compulsory, Growing up is optional.

It also got me thinking, 10 years ago, with a bit of training, I could probably have run a marathon.

I did a half marathon at 56.

But yes, aging sucks. Things hurt, you're not a strong as you used to be, less drive and testosterone, some things don't work so well, you fart a lot more, sleep is difficult, time flashes past.

What was I saying again?

Oh yes, memory becomes difficult too. Ditto seeing things close up. :rolleyes:

Celebrities? Not had a TV since getting married in '81, and have no idea what or who is in fashion any more.

Last edited:
sleep is difficult,
Strangely I've never had an issue with that, but I am a night owl, and not a morning person,
I'm usually here, well past midnight, sometimes until 2am.

Things hurt, you're not a strong as you used to be, less drive and testosterone, some things don't work so well,
No argument from me on that score.

make the most, of what you have, it doesn't get any better or easier :)

Quoted for truth!!!

I always greeted my Grandfather with "How's life?" and until a week before he died, he'd reply "Better than the alternative!". Come the last week, he admitted that the alternative was looking pretty attractive.

When asked how she was, my mother would say "can't complain love". We now recognise that as code for 'no-one will want to speak to me if I say what I really feel '.

I remember during lockdown still trying to keep up my walking, then it was announced that you could walk a dog and suddenly every one had either puppies being dragged around or really badly behaved dogs running loose, it was a nightmare trying to walk anywhere so I largely gave up
Until one day I walked to my local shop, about 5 mins away, and was out of breath when I got back !!
Realised | had put on weight too, so that shocked me into healthier eating and getting more exercise.
Now I can easily 10 miles, make sure I do walk at least 5 miles a day and enjoy being out there on my own, lost 4 stone and dropped 3 clothes sizes, who says retirement is boring.
Thing that cheered me up most was slipping over in some mud in the middle of nowhere and getting straight back up (y)

I’ve never watched I’m a celeb, could never see the entertainment value in watching someone eat a camels testicles!
Just the testicles? light weights :D
It seems that my least two favourite people in the universe compare the show ...
I really can't stand that pair, the best reason ever for not watching something.

I suppose these reality shows are aimed at the newly breeds so i guess it will be mainly full of those types
i watched im a celebrity with nick hancock in and realy enjoyed it.

I suppose these reality shows are aimed at the newly breeds so i guess it will be mainly full of those types
i watched im a celebrity with nick hancock in and realy enjoyed it.
Supposed "famous" people making twatts out of themselves?,
You don't need a game show for that, or waste programme slots, there is plenty on social media doing it.

Supposed "famous" people making twatts out of themselves?,
You don't need a game show for that, or waste programme slots, there is plenty on social media doing it.

yeah but you are like so old that the point these people are not famous there just in the news influences and the likes that is the modern celebrity.

yeah but you are like so old that the point these people are not famous
But that was the point when it first started, it really was FAMOUS people,
when it started back in 2002, I watched a couple and enjoyed household names making twatts out of themselves.

And not like the more recent ones and thinking who the f*** is that?

But that was the point when it first started, it really was FAMOUS people,
when it started back in 2002, I watched a couple and enjoyed household names making twatts out of themselves.

And not like the more recent ones and thinking who the f*** is that?

most kids are t***s tho so it stands to reason there peers are also t***s
nigel farage however is a complete t***

And just to re-iterate

I'm a Celeb 2023 full line-up:

Jamie Lynn Spears never heard of him / her
Sam Thompson never heard of him / her
Josie Gibson never heard of him / her
Fred Sirieix never heard of him / her
Nella Rose never heard of him / her
Nigel Farage Doesn't need to be on a game show to look a twatt
Grace Dent never heard of him / her
Marvin Humes never heard of him / her
Danielle Harold never heard of him / her
Nick Pickard never heard of him / her

I think you have that back to front - he's a complete ***t! (IMO, of course!)

most kids are t***s tho so it stands to reason there their peers are also t***s
Dear me.

I don't now, nor ever did, know children who are t***s. You must be extraordinarily unlucky to have met so many of them... :thinking:

and...... moving on,

I've had a cough/cold now for a week. Whilst I don't feel ill, the cough refuses to ease. I normally see an improvement by now but this is hanging on. I'm sure it's not Covid, as that has bounced off me a few times, colds seem to be far worse for me.

I remember my Dad, as he got older, his colds seemed to get worse and the same with my sister now, she's 15 years older than me and colds really affect her chest. My Dad was a smoker most of his adult life, although he gave up long before he passed away. Neither my sister or I have ever smoked but colds affect us with a nasty cough far more than they used to. Maybe coincidence and this is just a stubborn cough but could be an age thing too.

I've had a cough/cold now for a week. Whilst I don't feel ill, the cough refuses to ease. I normally see an improvement by now but this is hanging on. I'm sure it's not Covid, as that has bounced off me a few times, colds seem to be far worse for me.

Do you get the yearly FLU jab?

Do you get the yearly FLU jab?

Yup, we got it quite early this year, begining of September.

I've not had a Covid booster yet as I'm not currently eligible and it's a year now since I had one. I did have Covid mid September though, so I guess I still have relatively good immunity at the moment.

Last edited:
Cuts and abrasions always seem to to take a long time to heal, the older you get.

Huh! I never had colds when I smoked. Now I regularly get them, have asthma, and regular annual chest infections. The actual upsides of not smoking for me are: save a lot of money to spend on cameras; don't smell horrible (to my knowledge); car doesn't smell horrible (to my knowledge); house doesn't smell horrible (from cigs - but wet dog...); I maybe won't die from lung cancer or develop throat cancer like my sister.
However, I am struck by @Gremlin 's post above and must make an effort to walk more - the heart is willing etc but the time is limited due to work. I don't think I have a couple of hours free a day to walk 5 miles. I already get up at 6am as it is. Jeez Ingrid, I feel rather lazy and guilty now!

Other than the company, the main reason I spoil walks is to get me more mobile at least a couple of days per week. We (Mrs Nod and I) try to get out for a wander when the weather's cooperating, again, a couple of times per week.

My odd thing I have noticed though since getting into my mid 50s is my disinterest in alcohol much.
i used to be enjoying a beer most nights but recently have noticed 3-4 days going by and just not seeming interested.

I think why some people, me included, struggle to identify the 'celebrities' on those shows is the TV companies are running out of well known people. The companies have to rely on those whose only claim to fame is they have been on programmes such as Mad in Chelsea or the The only way is Dreadful.

Dave

I always greeted my Grandfather with "How's life?" and until a week before he died, he'd reply "Better than the alternative!". Come the last week, he admitted that the alternative was looking pretty attractive.
My Dad's stock answer for that question was "Any Day Above Ground is a Good Day...

It took me until I almost hit my 50's before I realised it wasn't just an Ex-Miner rejoicing in the Ex part... :sorry:

And just to re-iterate

I'm a Celeb 2023 full line-up:

Jamie Lynn Spears never heard of him / her
Sam Thompson never heard of him / her
Josie Gibson never heard of him / her
Fred Sirieix never heard of him / her
Nella Rose never heard of him / her
Nigel Farage Doesn't need to be on a game show to look a twatt
Grace Dent never heard of him / her
Marvin Humes never heard of him / her
Danielle Harold never heard of him / her
Nick Pickard never heard of him / her

Same. And I'm only 47!

I watch no TV though really. Might have The Chase or similar on whilst having tea some evenings. The missus watches some British Bake Off type things or things like that Drew Whatshisname antique show I'll watch if I'm there at the time. I watch mainly YouTube tbh.

But exercise, mobility and yoga are certainly our friends as we age for sure.

Hello,
You can do something, lots of things in fact, to mitigate ageing issues.
Take a look on YouTube for "healthspan" or "lifespan".
Some specific channels of note are:-
Modern Healthspan
My NMN Experiment
Sheekey Science Show.

In essence you can do one of two experiments.
Do nothing and she what happens. We know the result of course, grey hair, wrinkles, disease, increasing frailty and death.

Or

Do something. Maybe it won't work. Let's find out.

Back