Beginner Getting started with Flash

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Righto, admission time!

I've been "doing" photography as a hobby for a few years, and more seriously in the last 18 months or so. But I have absolutely no clue at all how flash works, technically. I understand the concepts of diffusing, bouncing of ceilings/walls and that sort of thing, but as I mainly shoot travel & architecture I've never used my in-camera flash (don't even have one now with my Fuji), and don't have any speedlight type of things.

I'm feeling this is a fairly major gap in my knowledge so would like to get started and learn the basics, even if I don't use them often. Any suggestions? I guess I need a cheapish speedlight sort of thing and some good reading, then lots of practise!

All suggestions very much welcome!

Understanding Flash Photography by Bryan Peterson is a good book, some real useful info in there, although he does harp on a bit about programming the flash to dictate the aperture but you need a specific flash for this feature.

I think that this forum must have been building up resources for cases like this one!
Or not…?

Get yourself to Al Falak in Al Wahda Mall and pick up a cheap Yongnuo flash, some triggers, a stand and a shoot through umbrella.

I can definitely recommend OneLight by Zack Arias as a place to start. I've got a copy on my laptop but can't send it...18GB in size. Take a look at the clip on YouTube and if you're interested I'm happy to meet up and copy it over to your USB or something.

Last edited:
The problem here appears to be Fuji, there's less choice of flashes than there are for CaNikon

If the OP keeps away from TTL and uses manual flashes there is plenty available, UaeExile suggestion is a good one.

If the OP keeps away from TTL and uses manual flashes there is plenty available, UaeExile suggestion is a good one.
But Manual flash is a PITA in dynamic situations IMHO.

Yeah, it's OK for controlled environments where you want consistent lighting, but TTL is a godsend for most other things.

So is any other control on the camera, may as well just leave it all on auto, no need to understand what anything does then.

So is any other control on the camera, may as well just leave it all on auto, no need to understand what anything does then.
Not at all. Just because you use the devices camera manufacturers have put in place to make life easier doesn't mean you don't understand, or learn why/how it works. I understand flash but in most situations use TTL as the scene/environment is constantly changing.

Actually Mike, what do you do in Abu Dhabi?

If you need a tutorial on how to use flash (from someone who is only a few months ahead of you..) I'm more than happy to give you one...... As long as you get in front of the camera :D

That makes no sense whatsoever, I'm sure you appreciate that, so other than 'having a go' I don't see you have a point.

Working out flash power for a flash zoomed to 85mm bounced off a wall 1.5m behind you that's not a perfect mirror to a subject that's 4m from the wall is something I expect my camera to do on a regular basis, and then if I decide to swivel the head to bounce off the wall that's 3m to my left and zoom the flash to 105mm? And then how does that affect my other flash that's set to either provide a rim light or just a starburst based on my aperture choice.

I'm not trying to look smart, that's (apart from the 2nd flash) quite a common use of on camera flash, and TTL will get us close enough day in day out. And trying to do those calculations on the fly is something most people couldn't achieve, in fact most people in the beginners section wouldn't know where to start.

I'd go as far as to say, most photographers can tell you their flash has a GN of 58, but if you ask them what the GN at 50mm is they'd look at you like you were daft ;), in fact most of them wouldn't honestly understand exactly what a GN is if we're being pedantic.

So I fully stand by my original point, TTL flash is the right choice as a first flash for dynamic situations, unless the OP is a mathematical genius.

Last edited:
It's a good offer @UaeExile not all have great broadband speeds etc, and like you say, free to make donations to the cause.

The OP is in the right place, many that can help with gear etc, just keep asking the questions :)

That makes no sense whatsoever, I'm sure you appreciate that, so other than 'having a go' I don't see you have a point.

Working out flash power for a flash zoomed to 85mm bounced off a wall 1.5m behind you that's not a perfect mirror to a subject that's 4m from the wall is something I expect my camera to do on a regular basis, and then if I decide to swivel the head to bounce off the wall that's 3m to my left and zoom the flash to 105mm? And then how does that affect my other flash that's set to either provide a rim light or just a starburst based on my aperture choice.

I'm not trying to look smart, that's (apart from the 2nd flash) quite a common use of on camera flash, and TTL will get us close enough day in day out. And trying to do those calculations on the fly is something most people couldn't achieve, in fact most people in the beginners section wouldn't know where to start.

I'd go as far as to say, most photographers can tell you their flash has a GN of 58, but if you ask them what the GN at 50mm is they'd look at you like you were daft ;), in fact most of them wouldn't honestly understand exactly what a GN is if we're being pedantic.

So I fully stand by my original point, TTL flash is the right choice as a first flash for dynamic situations, unless the OP is a mathematical genius.
I'm not 'having a go', the point is that having a basic understanding of what the flash does may help the OP as he furthers his photography, I suppose its like a lot of other things in life, you do, like its easier to drive an automatic car than a manual one, just not as much fun:D

I'm not 'having a go', the point is that having a basic understanding of what the flash does may help the OP as he furthers his photography, I suppose its like a lot of other things in life, you do, like its easier to drive an automatic car than a manual one, just not as much fun:D

Be honest...
Could you honestly do the calculations in my post? On the fly?

Is it common for others to do it?

It's one thing to 'have a basic understanding' it's something else entirely to expect a newbie to perform calculations that are beyond 90% of experienced photographers.

Thanks, all!

@UaeExile - cheers for the offer. I work in one of the offices above the Galleria mall so could meet easily I'm sure; lunch/evenings/weekends usually flexible. Might even give the chap a tip ;)

Will get myself to Al Wahda and see what they have. Probably only after a single TTL at this point as I'm far from a "portraits guy", but we'll see :)

As for TTL vs manual I'll walk before I can run I think. I do actually have a maths degree, but happy to let the gear to the sums for me, at least till I get a handle on what I want and how best to get it "with stabilisers" before I go full manual.

Last edited:
Back