Getting Stressed out shopping for a camera.

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
I mentioned in a previous thread how I am getting a new camera at the end of the month after selling all my equipment just over a year ago.

I was initially set on buying a canon 70D but after reading reviews and watching videos on t'internet I then started thinking about the nikon D7100 followed by the Sony A77ii

I've even started looking at FF. Either Sony a7 or nikon D600/610

As I have no equipment and I'm not upgrading, this is starting to stress me out a bit trying to choose a brand to best suit my needs.

I thought spending my money was supposed to easy part. But given the amount I'm about to spend on one of these cameras I really want to make sure I've picked the right one.

I have had a look at both the nikon d7100 and canon 70d in shop and both feel good in the hand. The Sony a77ii has 12fps and a good AF system plus I've owned sony cameras in the past so and liked them but they were entry level cameras

I primarily want to take pictures of the kids playing and also sports and wildlife. But I want to try a bit of everything. Landscapes interest me as well as macro and portraits. So I think either of the first three cameras I mentioned will be fine but I just find it so hard to pick which brand to buy into.

Anyone else had this problem or were you dead certain you knew what you wanted before you started?

The Nikon D7100 would be ideal for sports and wildlife as you will get more bang for your money from the longer lenses. A 300mm is the equivalent of over 400mm with the crop factor. I don't think you really need full frame.

the nikon d7100 is a fantastic dx camera
the nikon d 600 / d 610 are prosumer full frame crap i dont really rate them cheap and nasty in my opinion {dont want to enter into big debate about my opinion }
a far better full frame is the nikon d700 and a lot more rugged built to last fantastic camera in my opinion huge rane of lens's available from nikon or 3rd party
cannot comment on the sony range just remember what sort of lens's range are available
buy once so buy wisely

Which lenses were you looking at buying? I'm a Nikon user, but given the opportunity to start again from your position i would look long and hard at the Sony and Canon lenses I would be looking at buying, as they could ultimately sway my decision away from what might have been my obvious. The usual argument is that Nikon and Canon have more to choose from, which may be true but if Sony make the lens/es you want then that argument is neither here nor there!

If you like the feel of all the bodies, then you're in a nice position of not minding which one to go for :)

i apologise if that's just made it more difficult :LOL:

the nikon d 600 / d 610 are prosumer full frame crap i dont really rate them cheap and nasty in my opinion {dont want to enter into big debate about my opinion }
a far better full frame is the nikon d700 and a lot more rugged built to last fantastic camera in my opinion huge rane of lens's available from nikon or 3rd party
cannot comment on the sony range just remember what sort of lens's range are available
buy once so buy wisely

With regards to the sony lens line up, I'm sure they have more than I'll ever need to be honest.

A lot of people seem to hold the Nikon D7100 in high regard so I will definitely look more into that camera.
Using DX mode though, doesn't that reduce the image to something like 10mp? And also I've heard that the buffer speed can't keep up with the burst speed.

Set a budget, make a list of features that are "must haves" and another of "would be nices", research which bodies/lenses meet the requirements. Now visit a shop which stocks the shortlist and see which feels best in the hand and whose buttons feel most naturally placed for you. Hand over card/cash and leave with your shiny new kit. Enjoy!

Which lenses were you looking at buying? I'm a Nikon user, but given the opportunity to start again from your position i would look long and hard at the Sony and Canon lenses I would be looking at buying, as they could ultimately sway my decision away from what might have been my obvious. The usual argument is that Nikon and Canon have more to choose from, which may be true but if Sony make the lens/es you want then that argument is neither here nor there!

If you like the feel of all the bodies, then you're in a nice position of not minding which one to go for :)

i apologise if that's just made it more difficult :LOL:

I would want a general walk about lens like a 24-70mm or a 24-105mm and 70-200mm f/2.8 for sports and wildlife. And a decent prime maybe 85mm.

Obviously not straight away but that's all I think I will need based off the question I asked in a previous thread.

the 7100 has 24mp and is a dx camera
dont know where the 10mp come into the equation ?

With regards to the sony lens line up, I'm sure they have more than I'll ever need to be honest.

A lot of people seem to hold the Nikon D7100 in high regard so I will definitely look more into that camera.
Using DX mode though, doesn't that reduce the image to something like 10mp? And also I've heard that the buffer speed can't keep up with the burst speed.

the 7100 has 24mp and is a dx camera
dont know where the 10mp come into the equation ?

Yes I understand it's a 24mp camera. But from what I've read, it has a mode on it which enables the 7fps burst speed. But it crops the sensor reducing the image to around 10mp or I could be very mistaken.

I'm trying to learn everything I can about each of the cameras I'm considering so I can make an informed decision on which to buy. But I may have gotten some of the facts wrong.

I just read up on it a bit more and it's got a 1.3 crop mode which gives it the 7fps continuous burst rate but it reduces the images size down to about 15.4mp which isn't too bad I suppose. But on the plus side you get even more range on your zooms.

I just read up on it a bit more and it's got a 1.3 crop mode which gives it the 7fps continuous burst rate but it reduces the images size down to about 15.4mp which isn't too bad I suppose. But on the plus side you get even more range on your zooms.

the x 1.3 is just a digital crop …… all it gives you is extra speed, which most don't really need and smaller files ……. all else will be the same …………

I primarily want to take pictures of the kids playing and also sports and wildlife. But I want to try a bit of everything. Landscapes interest me as well as macro and portraits. So I think either of the first three cameras I mentioned will be fine but I just find it so hard to pick which brand to buy into.

Anyone else had this problem or were you dead certain you knew what you wanted before you started?

Does it really matter what you get?

I just shoot general stuff and I don't have any particularly exceptional requirements that could lead to one manufacturer having an edge over the others so basically anything from any of the usual players will be just fine for me to look at, and then ergonomics etc come into it.

The big decisions for me moving from DSLR to mirrorless and then wanting a mirrorless camera to use old manual lenses on.

I suppose one consideration is selling gear on... My sister bought a Samsung DSLR set up and to be honest it was a better camera than my Canon 20D but when she wanted to sell it there was very little interest whereas an inferior (IMVHO) Canon or Nikon set up would have sold quicker and for more money. The ease of moving stuff one once you're done with it could be something to consider when deciding what to buy into?

If going for a conventional DSLR today I think I'd go Nikon as they seem IMVHO to have the edge over Canon. Just my VHO. I'd go mirrorless though :D I have Panasonic MFT and a Sony A7 and it's the best camere I've ever had. The new AF lenses seem to be lovely but I use old cheap manual lenses on mine :D

the only thing i would say about canon or nikon is think about what lens you want and what you are using it for because if you want to go any further than 200mm in nikon lenses it would cost a lot more than canon Ie 400mm

We've all been there. ^_^ I was initially aiming for a D5000, but Jessops wouldn't match another price I'd seen - but, they did suggest checking out a couple companies' used offerings. And so I wound up with a D90, for very little more than the D5000 would've cost. (A superb camera, even now)

I would note, though, that if you go with FX, you'll also then need to ensure the lenses are FX compatible - DX lenses can be a fair bit cheaper, such as the fun Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6. That said, you can use DX lenses on FX - the body will automatically enter DX crop mode, on Nikon bodies. You'll lose the full-frame coverage of that expensive sensor, but you'll still get to enjoy the lens.

Unless your budget is open in nature, I'd lean toward the D7100, and the money saved by not going FX can be put toward good lenses. For wildlife, one particularly good option is the Nikkor 300mm f/4D, which can be had for around £600 used - it's light enough to be handholdable for longer periods, and sharp enough to live up to the D7100's high resolution sensor, even with a TC14E teleconverter. Plenty of folk are also happy with Sigma's 150-500mm, and their newly announced 150-600mm could be quite an impressive lens, if the MTF charts are truly born out, especially on DX.

Bear in mind none of this is permanent or irreversible. ^_^ Go ahead and buy a body you like. The sooner you do that, the sooner you can dive back into it all.

the only thing i would say about canon or nikon is think about what lens you want and what you are using it for because if you want to go any further than 200mm in nikon lenses it would cost a lot more than canon Ie 400mm

That really only applies to the Canon 400mm f5.6 which is a a fabulous lens but not TC friendly

The Nikon f300mm f4 with a TC14Ell get you there at a similar price

for wildlife 400mm is OK but for birds it's OK but you always want more

Last edited:
I have had a look at both the nikon d7100 and canon 70d in shop and both feel good in the hand. The Sony a77ii has 12fps and a good AF system plus I've owned sony cameras in the past so and liked them but they were entry level cameras

When I first started back into photography I didn't know what camera I wanted (or needed) but I did know what I wanted in that camera:

SLR with interchangeable lenses
Eye level viewfinder with fine screen for macro etc.
At least 8 MP
Easy to handle
and finally within my budget.

After quite a few visits to Jessops and many visits to the Internet checking everything on a camera I had looked at I finally settled on the Canon 350D and never regretted it since it was perfect for what I then needed.

I suggest you do the same; make a short list, not of cameras, but of essentials for the kind of pictures you want to take.

Then start checking out the cameras that fit all your needs, first maybe on the 'Net and then in a shop.

Last edited:
Whichever body you buy, you'll get great quality captures.

Thinks I would think about would be what your friends have (for swapsies), lens options (as you are), used market (if you buy used) and the features you particularly want, and why you want them.

Most important of all, get into a shop and play with all of your choices. Hold them, locate the aperture, shutter & ISO controls, look at the dials and the menus. Which one feels better in your hand?

I would want a general walk about lens like a 24-70mm or a 24-105mm and 70-200mm f/2.8 for sports and wildlife. And a decent prime maybe 85mm.

Obviously not straight away but that's all I think I will need based off the question I asked in a previous thread.

If your thinking about these lenses, would you not be better of going Full Frame?? You can get a Nikon D750 for around £1200 from Panamoz. It's only just been released so it's bang upto date. Have a look at the recent threads for this camera, it looks very good. I'm getting a slight itch for one myself.

Also, to add to above, I believe theses current FF cameras can also be operated in DX mode, It recognizes DX lens automatically.

If your thinking about these lenses, would you not be better of going Full Frame?? You can get a Nikon D750 for around £1200 from Panamoz. It's only just been released so it's bang upto date. Have a look at the recent threads for this camera, it looks very good. I'm getting a slight itch for one myself.

What are your thoughts on the Nikon D610? FF, and £1245 with a 24-85mm VR lens from HDEW. Also has 6fps for the occasional sports shoot. Seems to have good reviews but I know nothing about FF or this camera in particular. But it looks nice and chunky for my big hands.

Last edited:
I haven't owned the D610, I own a Fuji XT1, but from my reading it was introduced as a replacement for the D600 due to the oil spot issues. The price you got there seems to be very good with the lens, how that performs again I'm not sure. Although there's some stunning images on the D600 /610 thread, you would need to check what lenses have been used.
Here's a quick specification comparison of the D610 v D750 from Snapsort. I wouldn't use them for reviews as I prefer to listen to user reviews in real world use, from place like this forum. The main stand out for the D750 is better ISO performance, slightly better FPS and screen.

Linky To Comparison > http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D610-vs-Nikon-D750/specs.

If your interested in these cameras have a good read through of the owner threads, for the D750 there's an excellent user review from Ross Harvey > http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/pro-nikon-d750-review-35mm-1-8g-lens.561445/

D750 Owners Thread > http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/nikon-d750.557831/page-19#post-6513952
D610 / 600 Owners Thread > http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...al-users-thread-anything-d6x0-related.440868/

I'm disabled and the Fuji suits me for day to day use, I'm thinking of a FF camera as I haven't owned one before ( why the itch) and Fuji have delayed there long zoom by 12 months, I tried the D700 but it was too heavy for me (as then it would have been my only camera, I then bought the D7000).. If I got the D750 it would be for tripod use around the garden for the wildlife that frequents our us, as we back onto woodland and we have a small brook / stream running through our garden. I will keep the Fuji for the lightness and going out.

Also, as I always say, I would only buy the camera if it felt suitable in the hands and thats my main deciding factor.

Last edited:
The Nikon D750 is out of my price range. If I decide on a FF camera then it will be either the Nikon D610 or the Sony A7 as my absolute limit is £1300 and that must include the camera plus a lens and most likely be a grey import.

With that kind of budget and your desires, I'd stay with DX and spend more on the lenses than going FF for the sake of going FF.

The Nikon D750 is out of my price range. If I decide on a FF camera then it will be either the Nikon D610 or the Sony A7 as my absolute limit is £1300 and that must include the camera plus a lens and most likely be a grey import.

You need to decide if your going to be okay with just the one lens if you went D610 Full Frame for the time being. With the A7 and the focus peaking, you have the option of using old manual lenses which can be fun, I do it with my Fuji's. Otherwise it's DX and spend some of the money on tidy glass as Darren says above.

I think my head is going to explode. Whilst looking at the A7 and A77ii as options, I've now looked at the A6000 which has an amazing spec, and is priced low enough that I can afford some nice glass to go with it.

Have you held any of these yet?

Have you held any of these yet?

Only the Nikon D7100 and the Canon 70D

But I've previously owned 2 Sony DSLR's, an A200 and an A390 and also a Sony NEX 5r so I'm more familiar with the Sony range.

I had a similar dilemma to yourself. It was a toss up between the D7100 and the 70D, the 70D just felt nicer and I preferred the menu system.

You pays ya money...

Ok I've been reading up on all these now and comparing them and trying to figure out which one suits my needs best and I'm almost certain now that I'm going to get the Sony Alpha A77ii

It has the 12fps burst rate and fast auto focus, perfect for sports and wildlife. The in camera image stabilisation, so I don't have to look for it in the lens. It also has a lot of the older Minolta lenses to choose from as well as the sony glass. And I really like the EVF, where any adjustments made like aperture, ISO etc.. Can be seen on the camera before I take the shot.

It just seems like the complete package for my needs.

Last edited:
Both the D7100 and D610 are fantastic cameras (the only thing I don't like about the D610 is the AF spread, too close together) and at £900 for a 'grey' import it's a good bargain. The DX D7100 will allow your budget to go further though I would say.

Yes I understand it's a 24mp camera. But from what I've read, it has a mode on it which enables the 7fps burst speed. But it crops the sensor reducing the image to around 10mp or I could be very mistaken.

I'm trying to learn everything I can about each of the cameras I'm considering so I can make an informed decision on which to buy. But I may have gotten some of the facts wrong.

The buffer does suck but it all repends on your subject matter. I havent used 7fps and ive had the camera a year now. What are you shooting?

And the 1.3x crop takes it to 16mp.

I chose the 7k1 over the d600 due to proce of ff lenses and the reviews.

Last edited:
I mentioned in a previous thread how I am getting a new camera at the end of the month after selling all my equipment just over a year ago.

I was initially set on buying a canon 70D but after reading reviews and watching videos on t'internet I then started thinking about the nikon D7100 followed by the Sony A77ii

I've even started looking at FF. Either Sony a7 or nikon D600/610

As I have no equipment and I'm not upgrading, this is starting to stress me out a bit trying to choose a brand to best suit my needs.

I thought spending my money was supposed to easy part. But given the amount I'm about to spend on one of these cameras I really want to make sure I've picked the right one.

A few points to think about which might help you decide:
  • What lenses are you likely to want to buy in the future? How big and heavy are they? How expensive? How good? ISTR that Sony's selection is nothing like as good as Canon, Nikon, m4/3, etc but could easily be wrong.
  • Do you absolutely need tracking autofocus? Mirrorless cameras still don't do a good job of tracking (and I'm a m4/3 user)
  • What will you do with the images? How big do you really need to go?
  • Do you have a PC powerful enough to edit and store 24mp images?
  • I can't imagine you'll need 12fps.
  • Sony's proprietary hotshoe arrangement make obtaining triggers for off-camera flash and studio a little irksome
  • I like electronic viewfinders - if you do then so the Sony may really suit you
Personally, I couldn't see a reason to buy a crop sensor camera. The choice for me was between FF and m4/3. APS-C DSLR seems to have all of the disadvantages of both and few of the advantages. Cost and weight reasons took me to m4/3. I still hanker after a non-Sony FF with an EVF, but (a) one doesn't exist and (b) it's blatant GAS.

A few points to think about which might help you decide:
  • What lenses are you likely to want to buy in the future? How big and heavy are they? How expensive? How good? ISTR that Sony's selection is nothing like as good as Canon, Nikon, m4/3, etc but could easily be wrong.
  • Do you absolutely need tracking autofocus? Mirrorless cameras still don't do a good job of tracking (and I'm a m4/3 user)
  • What will you do with the images? How big do you really need to go?
  • Do you have a PC powerful enough to edit and store 24mp images?
  • I can't imagine you'll need 12fps.
  • Sony's proprietary hotshoe arrangement make obtaining triggers for off-camera flash and studio a little irksome
  • I like electronic viewfinders - if you do then so the Sony may really suit you
Personally, I couldn't see a reason to buy a crop sensor camera. The choice for me was between FF and m4/3. APS-C DSLR seems to have all of the disadvantages of both and few of the advantages. Cost and weight reasons took me to m4/3. I still hanker after a non-Sony FF with an EVF, but (a) one doesn't exist and (b) it's blatant GAS.

I have pretty much decided on the Sony a77ii now

The only lenses I will be needing for now will be a 70-200mm f2.8 and the 16-50mm f2.8 kit lens.

As for what I am shooting. Well it's a bit of everything, including the kids playing, portraits. Landscape/scenery but mostly I will be shooting sport and wildlife.

I have retired from rugby this year and I now intend to photograph as many of my teams games as I can, so I can see the 12fps coming in handy for that. Also my dad is a veteran motocross rider and I would like to get some good shots of him in his races.

The Sony A77ii also has a standard hot shoe so no issues there either.

The EVF is something I am very impressed with because I can see any alterations to exposure etc... On screen before taking the shot.

buy once so buy wisely
Isn't the d7000/d7100 and the d600/d610 the same camera with a different sensor?

I've i was starting out with no lenses i wouldn't personally buy a high end aps-c dslr like a a77 7d etc... If i wanted the dslr size i would go full frame or if i was happy with a apsc sensor camera i would go for a csc.

I'm not entirely confident in Sonys dedication the A mount cameras like the A77.

Last edited:
Thursday is the day I finally buy my camera....... But I still can't make my bloody mind up.

Seriously, why is this such a hard decision to make?

I was sure that all my needs would be fulfilled with the Sony A77ii. I still think it's the right choice, but I keep questioning myself.

Do I need 12fps. Do I need the EVF. Do I need the tillty flippy screen thingy. Do I need WIFI & NFC connectivity.

The answer to all of them seems to be no, I don't NEED them but I WANT them.

I also keep asking myself whether I should spend so much on a new body or get a cheaper body and some glass to go with it.

Maybe just get a 2nd hand A77mk1 and a couple of better than kit quality lenses.

Or go mirrorless and get an A6000. Similar performance to the A77ii but in a smaller, cheaper package. Which leaves money to buy a few decent lenses

Or just go with a different brand altogether.

I know nobody can make my decision for me but I just need somewhere to vent my frustration so I'm boring all of you with it lol

Sorry for the constant moaning.

It's hard because you're committing yourself for the foreseeable future.

Seems to me that you want a camera that will help you get the pics you want most easily while getting in the way as little as possible, so stuff like EVF, tilting rear screen, 12fps are all going to be beneficial over conventional camera gear from other makers. Of course you could do without them, but they'll help.

I bought a Sony SLT just over a year ago. The EVF isn't perfect (you may need an eyecup in bright sunlight) but it's a more useful tool than OVF, and I'd want another in the future. The flip-out rear screen likewise is very useful and frequently used. WiFi? You saw the Jason Lanier video I presume - not sure I need that, but he found it useful.

If I had the cash I'd like an A7r.

Back