Getting There

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
So yesterday I finally made a decent A2 print from my Mamiya RB67. Developed by AG, but scanned by me with a file that ended up being 200ppi across the 15"x21". I'm finally beginning to get results that are comparable to digital.

Close up scrutiny (because despite viewing distance, the first thing I do is press my nose up against it!) shows the imperfections in edge detail with the Sekor 50mm, but at 2ft+ the image quality is super. It's not a digital file - and it's definitely not like the landscapes I get from my X-T2 with the wondrous 16mm, but I'm really pleased with it. It's not just the composition and the lighting, it's the place and the time of year. I've started chuckling my way through James Popsys' (digital) YouTube videos and he said on his latest video that it's "taking pictures about something and not of something". Ted Forbes often bangs on about "Work That Matters". I dunno if they've lifted these ideas from somewhere else, but I really like them.

Film - especially manual focus, manual exposure, forces the slowdown. The cost forces thought about the subject. Is it "worth" taking a photo of this?

The standard of work seen in the "Show Us Yer Film Shots" and the monthly competitions is really high - and frankly - more interesting to me. I wonder if that's because there is care and thought going into the work?
Anyway, I'm rambling now... I really just wanted to share this image of my print rolling off the printer because this final step is what it's all about for me, and where it all comes together. With it being an inkjet (or should I see Giclée?) print, that was scanned electronically, it's not truly analogue, but it's still my favourite bit of photography.

UKjN8Gq.jpg

10 years to the day since I joined TP. And I'm only just starting to be happy with my work. :)

10 years to the day since I joined TP. And I'm only just starting to be happy with my work.

Well you've beaten me to it. :)

I'm glad you are getting there Ian, however I think that like me you are too hard on yourself, you produce some lovely work on both film and digital and your printing skills are too notch.(y)

shows the imperfections in edge detail with the Sekor 50mm

Do you use the micro focus adjustment on the front element? I've never bothered but it is meant to make a difference.

Away from the gear, I suspect most of us are too hard on ourselves, having said that I never print more than 8x10 so maybe I'm giving myself an easy ride :D

Do you use the micro focus adjustment on the front element? I've never bothered but it is meant to make a difference.
No (well yes actually, but it's on infinity) because I have yet to get off infinity. My experiments with portraits has been utterly laughable. I think it's a bit like my golf swing. 1 in a thousand works and when it does it's great, but most of the time it's just frustrating.

H'mm would you be saying that digi cameras are so good now that you at least need an RB67 to compete with them?
That's why I went medium format. To see if it could. And it can!

like me you are too hard on yourself
Kind words Andy - thanks. I remember you telling me about this forum when we were at Mid Cheshire. If only you got paid commission by "days subscribed" eh? :)
Seriously though, I think that complacency/arrogance is a killer. But likewise, self-lowliness can also be destructive. Trying to find a middle ground is always tricky, but there are plenty here on TP who do it well.

Back