Getty & Dido being Sued by astronaut

I think that on the grounds it is quite an iconic photo, and there is a quite small list of people who it could be walking in space, you could argue that it is using his image to sell the product.

I doubt it would be hard to find the number of US astronaughts who have spacewalked, and whittle it down from there.

I think that the list of people that have done a space walk without umbilical cords and with just a jetpack comes to one. That is why the guy is able to say that it is him. The NASA T&Cs seem to be clear, why shouldn't he take a punt. If it were an image that you had rights over you'd be asking for some cash - so why shouldn't he?

I think that the list of people that have done a space walk without umbilical cords and with just a jetpack comes to one. That is why the guy is able to say that it is him. The NASA T&Cs seem to be clear, why shouldn't he take a punt. If it were an image that you had rights over you'd be asking for some cash - so why shouldn't he?

He doesn't have rights over it though - he is not the copyright holder nor is the image being used to sell a product based on any kind of claim to endorsement

or Lee Miller in Hitler's bath, in his house in Munich shortly after the end of ww2

Before or after she shagged George Rodger and Robert Capa...allegedly...

Took some nice snaps though, she did...

Not quite as grrrr-tastic as Dicky Chappelle though...

photo_dickie_chapelle.jpg

Dickey%20Chapelle.jpg

Maybe a dumb question........... but from 1,000,001 threads on here taking about copyright issues etc, I thought unless otherwise stated the images are the property of the photographer. (OK - in this instance NASA) - so why does the astronaut (model) have the right to sue for copywrite infringement?

Maybe a dumb question........... but from 1,000,001 threads on here taking about copyright issues etc, I thought unless otherwise stated the images are the property of the photographer. (OK - in this instance NASA) - so why does the astronaut (model) have the right to sue for copywrite infringement?

He's not suing for breach of copyright, but for privacy infringement.

/pedant

Pretty sure that it's only interplanetary at the most - to the best of my knowedge every NASA spaceflight has still been in our own solar system, nevermind into another galaxy.

/pedant off
;)

Pioneer 10 and 11 and both Voyager probes have passed well beyond the orbits of Neptune and Pluto. Both Voyagers have passed through termination shock and into the heliopause, v1 is outside the orbit of Eris and v2 is almost beyond its aphielion. There's not much solar system after that, the Oort cloud, if it exists.

So, interstellar could be fair as it's now between stars rather than between planets.

Neither had I, but then I wonder if you stopped 10 random people in the street and showed them this famous pic they'd be able to identify the photographer, subject or location.

2197296879_6023e88d8d.jpg

David E. Scherman - photo of Lee Millar

Thanks - interesting reading

I'm sorry but what a miserable sod McCandless is. Has it caused him any harm with the photo being used? Ungrateful git should be thankful of the resources that NASA provided in order to allow him such an amazing experience.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but what a miserable sod McCandless is. Has it caused him any harm with the photo being used? Ungrateful git should be thankful of the resources that NASA provided in order to allow him such an amazing experience.

Do you know how much radiation there is in space? Its a known fact that if your going to be an astronaught then you are going to shorten your life. They are going on the assumption that one third of the crew will die on the voyage to and from mars, (if they ever do it.)

He probably thought he would die in a rocket explosion or from radiation poising and never bothered saving a pension!

Stuart

/pedant

Pretty sure that it's only interplanetary at the most - to the best of my knowedge every NASA spaceflight has still been in our own solar system, nevermind into another galaxy.

/pedant off
;)

Ahh but are they in American airspace? if not then I suspect it'll come under the laws of the country who's airspace they are in then.

Guess we will gain a greater clarity of how the law defines identifiable...

Do you know how much radiation there is in space? Its a known fact that if your going to be an astronaught then you are going to shorten your life. They are going on the assumption that one third of the crew will die on the voyage to and from mars, (if they ever do it.)

He probably thought he would die in a rocket explosion or from radiation poising and never bothered saving a pension!

Stuart

I reckon he was aware of those risks when he took the job on. I agree with the fact that He's just trying to sue his way to a few extra beer tokens...

Stuart

It's also a known fact that firefighters run a much higher risk from dying in a premature and violent way, much earlier in life than your average person on the street.

I think it unlikely that your average firefighter would be able to sue if a photo of them doing their job found its way onto the front cover of an artist's latest recording.

The greedy git is 73! So much for a shorter life span.

I can't see any justification for this other than sheer greed. It's not defamatory towards him and I reckon NASA isn't exactly on the same financial level as your average photographer and has lost out here.

b.b..b....b....but how do we know it was him ! I mean come on could be anyone in that suit ... we want proof :razz::eek::LOL: dear god how sad is that typical money grabbing attitude using the NASA fine print in style 10 being petty priceless

How do we not know it's not another 'naut with his umbilical tethering p'shopped out (like I was gonna do but didn't wanna end up in court)?

Why is it every time I hear his name I think of the astronaut in little Britain Bing Gordyn (eighth man on the moon)??? ;)

plus the fact that no one bought didos album..... or did they....!? :LOL:

Back