Geysir Northern Lights

Name
Andrea
Edit My Images
No
Hi everybody, I've just came back from a truly awesome travel in Iceland! Now my free time is full thanks to the great amount of shots I took there!:eek: Hope in the next days to come back here more frequently!

One of the most exciting things I did was to see for the first time the Aurora Borealis, and I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time: Geysir, where there is one of the best known geysers of the world: the Strokkur...

dsc8202e.jpg

OMG :eek:

I think I have just died and gone to heaven!!
That seriously is one of the best shots I've ever seen.

If I could ever take just one shot half as nice as this..........

Stunning shot, I'm going on a Northern Lights hunt in Iceland in November, what time of night was this taken please?

I'm guessing you are about to get a hang of a lot of 'wow's in the posts that follow :)

Absolutely brilliant.... Love everything about it. Can you share your exif please?

Thanks for your comments! A lot!!

Stunning shot, I'm going on a Northern Lights hunt in Iceland in November, what time of night was this taken please?

I was in Iceland from 14th to 28th August. The Northern Light is very rare in August! I was lucky that night, the 27th August from 12:00 AM to 3:30 AM taking shots! The first hour it was very low and not so visibile. From 1:00 AM it was more visible, but the best was at 2:00 AM :eek:

"Incredible, what post processing did you do and is there a larger version anywhere? "

I only processed the levels to increase the contrast of the sky, a noise reduction and added more strenght to the foreground (local contrast) since the shot is an high iso photo with low contrast in the RAW. No I haven't a larger version at the moment. I just prepared the standard web version

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments! A lot!!

I was in Iceland from 14th to 28th August. The Northern Light is very rare in August! I was lucky that night, the 27th August from 12:00 AM to 3:30 AM taking shots! The first hour it was very low and not so visibile. From 1:00 AM it was more visible, but the best was at 2:00 AM :eek:

Thanks Andrea, I'll be out from 11pm till 3am

Nice shot.

I really want to go to Iceland next year when I've got some cash. How long were you there for, how did you get around and how much did it cost (specifically vehicle hire)? :p

Thank you!! I stayed 2 weeks, sleeping in guesthouses and driving a 4x4 Suzuki Gran Vitara rented at Reykjavik. We were 4 people and I payed 2500 € all included (but the flights are from Italy!). For gasoline and food 500 € for two weeks, the rest was to pay the flights and the tour that includes guesthouses and car rental ;)

Last edited:
Yeah............wow. Can't really comment further.

Just stunned really (y)

Chris

An excellent capture. :clap::clap::clap:

A really nice capture of the Aurora. I'm hoping to get up that way at some point in a year or two's time as we approach solar maxima.

Amazing shot I'm bloody jealous! I missed the lights, as I said in another thread!:bang: But you're extremely lucky to have seen them in august, I was there from august 7th to september 9th and saw them on september 8th at 3am outside of Selfoss. Lots of people are going to Iceland it seems, I've said it before but a TP meet there would be good!:D

Thanks for the kind comments!! (y)

fabulous.. so many stars!

must have been a wonderful sight..

Yeah!! I've never seen a sky like that!! No city lights around the sky and the Milky Way more visible at the sea level than here in the heights of the Alps.

Lots of people are going to Iceland it seems, I've said it before but a TP meet there would be good!:D

Yes! In Italy I don't know so many photographers that usually go to Iceland...but soon more and more people will go to! It's a stunning place for photographers and not only!! :eek:

Amazing photo!! Guess the northern lights is one of those must do things before you die.....incredible!!

May be I one person to add a WOW.

Perfect timing - as you say Geysir and the lights...(y)

Thanks everubody!! (y)

Amazing photo!! Guess the northern lights is one of those must do things before you die.....incredible!!

Yes, I think I saw one of the most exciting things of my life and I'm happy for that :)

Perfect timing - as you say Geysir and the lights...(y)

The geyser (Geysir is the name of the place and of the main geyser, that does an eruption a day), called Strokkur, is very active: every 3-6 minutes acts. So I mounted my camera on the tripod with a remote command, waiting for the eruption.

Hi everybody, I've just came back from a truly awesome travel in Iceland! Now my free time is full thanks to the great amount of shots I took there!:eek: Hope in the next days to come back here more frequently!

One of the most exciting things I did was to see for the first time the Aurora Borealis, and I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time: Geysir, where there is one of the best known geysers of the world: the Strokkur...

dsc8202e.jpg

WOW!!!(y)

thats awesome, truly awesome, i hope to go in christmas! If i can get half as good a shot as that i will be so happy!

Thanks for the latest kind comments!

thats awesome, truly awesome, i hope to go in christmas! If i can get half as good a shot as that i will be so happy!

At Christmas the aurora borealis should be easily visible. It shouldn't be difficult to take shots in that period (y)

Sorry if I up this thread from 2nd page, but I'd ask you if someone uses a Nikkor 16 f/2.8 fisheye on fullframe cameras. I'd like to know the quality of the lens wide open at 2.8, that I'll use for this kind of night photography. Thank you.
-I tried to ask this question in Talk Equipment but anybody answered-

cracking shot, I was in Iceland last week at Selfoss in the South West unfortunately did not see anything like this.

J

Can I add mine to the list of WOW!! Im in love, this is one of the major sights I want to see, perfect timing, perfect shot if this was mine a huge canvas would be in order and my living room would be taken over by this image.

Back