Ghosts

What is seen in the experiment is the interference phenomena.

This can be recorded otherwise it wouldn't make much of a scientific experiment!
;)

Touché :LOL:

Of course if you actually observed the photon itself then the quantum wavefunction would collapse and you'd lose the effect :D

Last edited:
Ive had some strange experineces in my parents house when I lived there. Ive seen people in the kitchen who werent there, but my mum saw them too and described to me exactly what I saw, down to the beige slacks and green cardigan. Our cat tried to attack another cat in the utility room which then vanished through the glass door.
A salesman when my mum opened the door doubled back and exclaimed, "wow thats a big dog". My mum slighlt suprised said "what?" and he said the dog stood next to her gave him a shock. My parents have never owned a dog!
I also had things launch of my desk for no reason whatsoever, and was forever hearing people walk up the creaky stairs outside my bedroom, even when I knew I was alone.

Another my brother told me was he was in the bathroom, doing "business" and a marigold gloved hand started washing the outside of the bathroom window with a sponge. Nothing unsual there you might think, but without at least 2 very big ladders, it was impossible to get to that window.
He went down stairs and asked mum who was watching tv who was washing the windows, and of course she said "no-one". They went outside and looked at the window from the ground and it was dry as a bone.

Its an old house built in the 1800's with a lot of history, doesnt suprise me one bit there are still some old residents there.

Even if there was photographic proof, it would just get thrown out as faked, so there isnt much point in trying to photograph anything.

Davec223 said:
There have been other threads on this in the past.

I do believe in ghosts, and other goings on, my experiences are as follows.

When I was about 5 or 6 I was really ill, basically given a 50/50 chance, I remember seeing what looked like an operation on tv but couldn' see it properly as people were in the way, it was like the camera was on the wall by a clock, when eventually the surgeon moved and it was me on the operating table.

Secondly my gran woke me up and had a conversation with me in the moddle of the night, she was nearly 100 miles away in hospital, I remember looking at the clock and noticing the time, the next morning the hospital had phoned and my gran had died about 5 minutes before she had woken me up.

Lastly Back in 1991 I was down at Barton clifftops one summer evening and I saw a blue sphere travel in across the sea up the beach up the cliffs and along the cliff tops towards me, as it got closer to me I found that I couldnt move and was fixated by the light and its movements, when I could eventually move I found that I had lost about 35mins of time that I couldn't account for.

And for the record I am not bonkers.:LOL:

I had an experience once where I seemed to have lost an hour or so.

When I came to my bum was quite sore...

Frantic_Inc said:
That must be a fairly recent ghost since marigolds were first used in the mid fifties.

Sounds about right. The man we used to see we always thought was one of the previous owners of the house called Mr Dawson. He was born and died in the house so lived there his entire life, which included the 50's. My brother swore he used to see a woman in his bedroom when he was younger too.

Who said ghosts had to be medieval or Victorian? If there is such a thing as ghosts it's perfectly plausible to have more modern ones I would think.

I didn't ignore it.

In my first reply I said:

"Their [photons] quantum particle-wave duality is neither here nor there at the scale in which we're interested - it only becomes significant at quantum scales."

In my second reply I said:

"The wave/particle duality of photons and the effect of observation is only significant at the quantum scale - it doesn't have any effect at the gross scale of matter."

To reiterate and state for the third time: The effect you're referring to is only significant at the quantum scale - it's not relevant at the gross scale of physical matter.

As for something that can be seen but not recorded, well, good luck with that one :p

For example, a single photon passing through a double-slit experiment lands on the screen exhibiting interference phenomena but only if no measure was made on the actual slit being run across.

This is the part that defies explanation. How does the photon 'know' it is being measured?

My point being, light photons behave in such a way that science does not yet understand.

And just because it happens on a very small scale does not mean it can be ignored.

Last edited:
For example, a single photon passing through a double-slit experiment lands on the screen exhibiting interference phenomena but only if no measure was made on the actual slit being run across.

This is the part that defies explanation. How does the photon 'know' it is being measured?

A photon is a special class of particle called a gauge boson. As a particle it's a force carrier for the electromagnetic force which is fundamentally a wave function. It exists as both functions but if you observe one, you cannot observe the other - there's no simple way of explaining any of this I'm afraid. This only applies at the quantum scale though.

My point being, light photons behave in such a way that science does not yet understand.

Only at the quantum scale and even then, there's more understood than you probably realise. At the gross scale they're understood and predictable. If light is involved then it's recordable.

And just because it happens on a very small scale does not mean it can be ignored.

Yes it does - and it's a bit more than a very small scale. Quantum effects don't manifest at the gross scale, and again, if light is involved, it's recordable.

A photon is a special class of particle called a gauge boson. As a particle it's a force carrier for the electromagnetic force which is fundamentally a wave function. It exists as both functions but if you observe one, you cannot observe the other - there's no simple way of explaining any of this I'm afraid. This only applies at the quantum scale though.

Only at the quantum scale and even then, there's more understood than you probably realise. At the gross scale they're understood and predictable. If light is involved then it's recordable.

Yes it does - and it's a bit more than a very small scale. Quantum effects don't manifest at the gross scale, and again, if light is involved, it's recordable.

I can see you are adamant. I am more cautious about the how complete the knowledge is.

I can see you are adamant. I am more cautious about the how complete the knowledge is.

Not adamant, just certain at physical scales, supported by a heap of empirical evidence. There may well be changes to come in the standard model in the future depending on what the LHC and other colliders turn up - I'll keep an open mind on that one ;)

At the quantum level things are definitely weird :wacky:

But only at the quantum level. :p

Who said ghosts had to be medieval or Victorian? If there is such a thing as ghosts it's perfectly plausible to have more modern ones I would think.

Maybe older ghosts are more obvious floating around in all that Victorian-esque attire. Maybe a modern 'hoodie' ghost with poltergeist tendencies would fit into modern society without causing panic :LOL:

So why has no one ever seen a caveman ghost? Anyone??:LOL::LOL:

What's a photon? Is that like a photo? Or like a proton? Or a mixture of both?

I've experienced many spooky things all my life and these experiences together with a natural curiosity have lead me to have a life long interest in all of lifes, er, mysterious mysteries.

I tend not to believe anything and spent decades fixing nice comfortable logic based devices like computer gear so it's nice to contrast that stuff with something that at this point in time doesn't have an answer.

I haven't got an answer for the things I've experienced first hand let alone for the believable report of others but I have pretty much convinced myself of two things...

Firstly I think that there's enough evidence and believable reports to suggest that there's something real and beyond what we'd expect if all that there was was the purely physical blood, flesh and bone “us” and our internal thoughts, dreams and fantasies although what it is and weather it's generated by us and projected somehow or created by some other intelligence or natural force I don't know.

Secondly, I'm pretty convinced that “ghosts” are not a single phenomena but range of things clumped together under an umbrella heading.

If a ghost is a reselmblence of a previously conscious living being, why are they always dressed? Surely the clothing they are "wearing" would not go with them, so they should all be naked?

Maybe it's to do with image. If you were to think about yourself would you be dressed or naked? Maybe the image you have of yourself or others influences how a ghost is dressed?

Considering how long man has lived and died on this planet, heaven and hell must be getting pretty full. Perhaps the more recent deceased have decided to stay here on earth.:bonk: I'll get my coat.

Maybe... if POSH Spice hadn't had a new hair do that day.

Back