Gig/live music shooting, general advice welcome

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been asked to take pictures of a band showcase event. I'm a hobbyist and the bands are various levels of ability.
No-one is getting paid, it should be a fun day. I have a Fuji x-T1 and a 18 - 55 lens. I can get as close as I want to the bands, and there seems to be the standard 3 overhead lights.
I thought that I would get some live action of each band and then some pics when they are not performing.
Other than enjoying the experience, not drinking until after and remembering my memory cards, is there anything I should look out for.
Thanks in advance.

My experience is that you will need a fairly high shutter speed (depending on how much the musicians/singers are moving about) and be able to shoot at a high ISO. Do not use flash as this is very distracting for those on stage. The link to the slideshow was from one of my last gigs and the lighting conditions were pretty awful with one big bright spotlight directly behind the drummer and a couple of wall lights at the side of the stage. I don't know whether it is any help but you can hold your mouse over 'EXIF' which will give you the data on my camera settings.

Bar42 live music

Hey, Len, very helpful. Thanks for reply. I don't use flash, but good to be aware of this.
Will check your pictures. As you say, light is probably going to be an issue.
I use up to ISO 6400 on my Fuji, hopefully this will help with shutter speed.

I suggest earplugs!
I'll second that.. sans sarcasm. Better shots usually beg you get close; best shots normally beg you bend down in-front of the bass bins!!

Otherwise; pub-gigs aren't the best show case for a band, aurally or visually; if you want a decent quality recording of their music, you'd get them in a Studio, likewise photo's! so don't get your hopes too high on what you may get.

Beyond that; access tends to be compromised, so getting close and getting the angles can be a challenge; particularly doing it without peeing off either band or audience. Lighting will be dim, and usually unflattering, 3 colour overhead notoriously nasty and changing. AF-Assist lamps are likely NOT appreciated by either band or audience, neither will flash (And quite possibly Preview screen lighting); so turning them off can make it a lot more tricky. You will likely need to run higher ISO's, and wider apertures, which will shrink depth of focus. Live band moving about under changing light, focus can be tricky and the sequenced lights can fool Autofocus as well as metering..... as said, if you want good recordings or photo's do it in a studio....

What you can get at a live gig, you cant get in a studio is the atmosphere and spontaneity; so think 'candid' and 'snapshot' rather than action or portrait;and ponder the scene beyond whats on the stage.

Thanks for replying, Mike. Some good insight, and similar to what
I had in mind. The candid or snapshot approach is a great
way of thinking about this, as is look beyond whats on stage.
Good stuff and much appreciated.

I used to do a lot of this years ago with 35mm ISO 1600 film. In them days ISO 1600 was all I had and the shutter speed often suffered but a bit of motion blur can sometimes add to the shot :D and there could be the option of using a flash if others are firing them off, just don't annoy the band or anyone else :D Many people are happy to have their picture taken, some used to ask me, and a few crowd / interesting people shots are always nice and a flash might be perfectly ok for these shots. Maybe dial it down to freeze the subject but not completely overpower the scene/venue lighting.

And on the subject of annoyances. Even if you're supposed to be there shooting the band there's always the possibility of someone getting annoyed with booze and what it can lead to so my advice is to keep calm and be polite and friendly but to also be prepared to be a little assertive if need be and think about taking a filter (and cloths) just in case you need to think about putting a filter on the end of the lens. Flying beer and/or bodily fluids and optics aren't the best combination. No one ever complained to me about a filter causing ghost reflections.

Other than that my advice is don't worry about using the higher ISO's (and you'll probably need to with f3.5-5.6 is it? I used to shoot exclusively wide open) as a gritty picture might make for a good picture :D Depending on the light levels and auto focusing you may need to go with manual focus for some shots.

Have fun.

Thanks for replying, Alan. I hadn't thought of taking a cloth. And good advice about audience, something to bare in mind.
I will defiantly look to take pics of the crowd, hopefully none of them will want to wrestle me. I have a tiny flash that came with the
Fuji ( X-T! ) that could be useful for some audience shots.
I'm fine with using higher ISO, don't mind some noise, and as you say I can always use manual focus.

Good stuff, cheers !

Some great advice already, as others have said the earplugs are essential. I spent too much time not wearing any and I really regret it now, you only get one pair of ears. Plus there is a big chance your average pet rabbit has more musical talent than some of the 'artisits' so they are helpful with just being able to block out the god awful noise.

I had a venue and we often had bands, especially at showcase events they tended to be younger, and they usually think they are hours away from being the next big thing. The good thing about a showcase is they want the photos, so they won't mind what you do to get them. If you need flash use it, if you need to crawl around on the stage then do (you should, it makes for good pics), but be aware some may well be drunk when they arrive and very drunk by the time they get on stage, add in the ego element and the adrenaline and you sadly get idiots. Just watch your camera basically. Usually I got hassle from their friends and family, they get mouthy and think they are related to the next big thing, I've probably kicked out more of those people than I ever kicked out drunk and aggressive punters!

We had one event on a Sunday, bands arrived at 9am, it was daytime as it was for filming and sound recording purposes. One band rolled in and the drummer, if he was 18 I'd be very surprised had a can of special brew he was trying to drink but blatantly hating, he had an unsmoked rollup slowly burning away at his fingers, he was wearing a vest and had his one token starter tattoo on his arm. It was the middle of January and we were all wearing coats inside as it took a long time for the heating to warm the big room. He tried to be the hard man when I told him to go outside to smoke and leave his beer out there too, I really didn't think I'd be manhandling drunk 'rockstars' at breakfast time on a Sunday morning, but his mates told him off and he waddled off, jeans round his knees nearly. When they played I think he hit the snare only, with the occasional kick on the bass drum, he was about as talented as a goldfish. Halfway through their set the organiser had a few words with various people and he was asked to leave the stage and replaced by a drummer from another band. His face was a picture - would have looked great on the cover of Kerrang!

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to do, I quite enjoyed some of the nights but then I tended to work with agents who were putting on acoustic acts, vocalists, anything but rock and thrash metal really! We did those too, but they were a bit messy. You may find your event isn't full of bands trying to make as much noise as possible with as much talent as a toilet brush and instead has some really nice vocal artists and lovely people who really appreciate the evening, if that's the case it does make it all easier. I never photographed them, I sometimes managed the sound and lighting, and if the photographers asked for certain lights to be changed I always would if I could - afterall we were being paid to help them showcase, no point in annoying anyone. The artists on the whole were lovely and grateful, it's just the noisy nights with the alcohol fuelled metal kiddies we didn't enjoy and would avoid if possible. Bless their cotton socks.

Another vote for earplugs !
Thats a great story, Marc. Thankfully this is a showcase for all female indie bands, so i'm not expecting
p***ed up teens. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for this response. It made me laugh as I briefly ran a pub/band evening years ago.
There was always one 'incident' each gig. Booze may have been involved :)

And good advice about audience,

In 't good old days... we used to stick the pictures of the night to doors and notice boards and the like and people used to like to see their picture in the mix. I'm sure that there was gentle competition to get your picture up there :D It was nice to see people huddled round to see if they'd make the cut :D

Last edited:
Thanks, Graham. Just about to go out, so will have a look through these later :)

What are these 'standard three overhead lights' you mention?

And yes, earplugs. If you like the bands, get ER20 musicians earplugs which reduce all frequencies to a similar level so you can still enjoy the music. If not, get the most level reducing plugs you can find!

Steve.

My advice would be:

1. Talk to the artists who are playing and check if they're okay with you taking photographs. Build a bond with them and because they know you're there on occasions they'll look straight at you whilst on set!
2. Talk to the lighting guy (if there is one), you'll be suprised what they can do for you. I always prefer white light, more than red/blue spots.
3. Get the artists details or talk to their agent, send them a link to your images. If they like your images it could lead to more work.
4. NO Flash! It ruins the atmosphere and can be distracting for the artists. So if light is limited, high isos!

4. NO Flash! It ruins the atmosphere and can be distracting for the artists. So if light is limited, high isos!
TBH I think you have to judge on the day. It's not impossible that flashes will be going off left right and centre so one more may not make a difference and also IMO flash doesn't have to ruin the atmosphere. It is possible to use flash to freeze and light the subject (for example attractive or funny or well dressed or characterful people) and still capture the ambiance and lighting. It's years since I did this and I can't post examples of mine (they were film and to be honest I don't even know where most of them are these days) but to me photographing people having a good time really helped to capture the feeling of the night and of course for this the flash doesn't need to be pointed in the direction of the stage and doesn't have to blind the band.

Anyway. Food for thought.

I have used flash in the past when lighting was rubbish and no one was bothered by it. I'd say keep the flash with you in case you need it. It's nice to shoot a gig where the band has made an effort to add stage lighting, but the majority of the time, in pubs, that's pretty rare, in my experience anyway. If this is the case, I'd use off camera flash if possible and focus in on the performers for facial expressions etc. If however the lighting is there, it will give you better scope to vary your shooting. Until you get there, it's impossible to say, but from what you have said in your post, it sounds like you will have the freedom to experiment, so just do that. Use your iso and shutter speeds to see what is possible and go with that.

Look forward to seeing some pix of this.. ..

Moey

My advice would be:

1. Talk to the artists who are playing and check if they're okay with you taking photographs. Build a bond with them and because they know you're there on occasions they'll look straight at you whilst on set!
2. Talk to the lighting guy (if there is one), you'll be suprised what they can do for you. I always prefer white light, more than red/blue spots.
3. Get the artists details or talk to their agent, send them a link to your images. If they like your images it could lead to more work.

Most of this wouldn't apply for a showcase though, he's been asked to take pics for the bands / promoters / agents. If the band doesn't want pictures taken and won't cooperate there isn't much point them doing a showcase.

Thanks for all the recent replies to this post, I will get round to answering them soon.
All the advice was really helpful, thank you.
The day was a lot of fun, and I learned loads.
The acts were fairly static, so I decided to treat the event with a street photo/documentary approach.
I'm not sure I'm ever going to be a gig photographer, but I do enjoy being at events and riffing on whats happening.
I didn't bother with any post, just SOC jpegs.
Here are a couple pics, rather than spamming my own thread, here is a link to the ones I selected for the organisers.

untitled-0470.jpg
untitled-9927.jpg
untitled-0286.jpg
untitled-9635.jpg

Thanks, Moey. And thank you for taking the time to post some advice.
Really appreciated it :)

Great stuff... and much better quality than anything I got from 35mm ISO 1600 film :D

Thank you, Alan.

( 35mm ISO 1600 film)That would have been an interesting challenge :)
Shutter speed was often on the slow side but a bit of motion blur doesn't matter too much when those looking at the pictures are mostly drunk.

We could have a little contest... who took the worst gig pictures. I think I'd win :D

Used to do lots of gigs, generally first three songs so its a percentage game to get maybe 6 good shots.... I generally used shutter priority and let the camera sort the rest. Position is really important, ideal 45 degrees to the side of who ever and with guitarists usually looks better if its from their playing hand side rather than down the fret. Lights are often really bad so a fast lens [I always used a 1.4] and high iso and tale LOTS...:) good luck. Have a look at some mine for ideas.

Back