Beginner Gig Photography - Help Needed

Edit My Images
Yes
Right , gig photography is something that I am really getting into

These images were all taken on my Canon EOS 60D & 50mm 1.8 STM or my 18-55 STM

What I would like to know is some general feedback on these images and how I could have improved on them .

I want to know if really I need a better lens for this kind of shooting (No light / low light / no flash etc ) , or if there was more I could have done with what I have to improve the results that I got .

These were taken between 1/100 to 1/200 depending on the behaviour of the individual band members, and how much they were moving around
and between f/1.8 to f/4.5

ISO was set to Auto , and depending on the varying stage light is between 1000 - 6400 , lighting was stage light and that is all ( No flash and no other source of lighting )

PP is Lightroom , I have not used any Noise Reduction , as I prefer the Grain to the Painted look the NR gives it .

untitled-72-Edit.jpg untitled-98-Edit.jpg

The greatest difficulty come from the lighting as it is
often performed by non trained people. The common
problem being the coloured spots on the musicians.

Here, the musicians are soaking in a soup of blue and
purple and this may make the renditions difficult.

In both takes, I tried to compensate the colour tempera-
ture and got this…

untitled-72-Editpp.jpg
untitled-98-Editpp.jpg

The greatest difficulty come from the lighting as it is
often performed by non trained people. The common
problem being the coloured spots on the musicians.

Here, the musicians are soaking in a soup of blue and
purple and this may make the renditions difficult.

In both takes, I tried to compensate the colour tempera-
ture and got this…

untitled-72-Editpp.jpg
untitled-98-Editpp.jpg

I know what you mean @Kodiak Qc , The colour temperature doesn't bother me as much though, I don't expect it to look perfect with three different colours of light hitting them .

I was hoping to figure out how to get the images sharper etc , if there was something I could have done more on the day .

I was hoping to figure out how to get the images sharper

After proper focusing, dominant tones may make
or brake any shot. As contrast is required to inhan-
ce the perceptive sharpness, dominant tones, here
the blue and purple, will work the opposite way. By
adding mid tones to the equation, the spots are wor-
king against you.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about evening out skin tones.

IMO both are pretty uninteresting photos so that's your starting point next time. Find better or more interesting compositions, something that sets the scene.. shoot through people, above people, don't be afraid to move around to find better angles.

Obviously that's dependant on venue etc but I think first and foremost you should be looking to shoot something that holds the attention a little more.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about evening out skin tones.

IMO both are pretty uninteresting photos so that's your starting point next time. Find better or more interesting compositions, something that sets the scene.. shoot through people, above people, don't be afraid to move around to find better angles.

Obviously that's dependant on venue etc but I think first and foremost you should be looking to shoot something that holds the attention a little more.

Yes I agree , at the time though I was just trying to get any photos that I could get , I was in the crowd and surrounded by people , I tried to get some full body and interesting shots but it was a very small stage and I kept getting feet cut out by amps etc , my main problem was that my best lens is my 50mm 1.8 ... but to get the full body in shot , I had to stand pretty far back , which usually meant people getting in front of me and blocking my view .

Hi gothgirl:)! This is probably a bit basic for you but it might be worth a look:confused::

http://digital-photography-school.com/10-must-have-camera-settings-for-concert-photography/

Thanks that's very informal , looks like I had it pretty much down apart from the metering .

Thank You for the link

Yes I agree , at the time though I was just trying to get any photos that I could get , I was in the crowd and surrounded by people , I tried to get some full body and interesting shots but it was a very small stage and I kept getting feet cut out by amps etc , my main problem was that my best lens is my 50mm 1.8 ... but to get the full body in shot , I had to stand pretty far back , which usually meant people getting in front of me and blocking my view .

So maybe shooting full body shots wasn't the thing to do - there are probably other types of shot that might have worked better given kit and conditions.

Part of being a photographer is knowing your kit and then working within its limits, not trying to force results you pre-invisage; I wouldn't serve soup if i only had a fork.

So maybe shooting full body shots wasn't the thing to do - there are probably other types of shot that might have worked better given kit and conditions.

Part of being a photographer is knowing your kit and then working within its limits, not trying to force results you pre-invisage; I wouldn't serve soup if i only had a fork.

You're right , I guess I went ahead with expectations of what I wanted to get , and got frustrated when I couldn't do that .

I also hate cropping bits out , Like with musicians I always want the full instrument in the shot , but because I was having to shoot around / through the crowd , at a fixed 50mm I often had to cut bits off .

To comment on the actual photos, without seeing the exif it is difficult to be sure but I would say they are soft due to low shutter speed - they have that 'nothing is obviously out of focus but something isn't quite right' look which is often caused by an ever so slightly slow shutter speed.

To comment on the actual photos, without seeing the exif it is difficult to be sure but I would say they are soft due to low shutter speed - they have that 'nothing is obviously out of focus but something isn't quite right' look which is often caused by an ever so slightly slow shutter speed.

Here's a copy that should have the full exif .

untitled-72.jpg

But just in case its ,

ISO 2000
50mm
f/1.8
1/200

Late to the party as usual.

The best way to improve these shots would be to change your position. Harder than it sounds, I know.

When the lighting is good, you can get some seriously awesome shots from the stage edges, but when it is as bad as you have it here, you end up missing the soul of the show. Shooting from a more face on position you start to get a feel what the crowd would be seeing at a show.

Now, the second is definitely the stronger shot, but it is under exposed and has a very strong blue tinge. I would either take a white balance off his headwear and even the colours out a bit, or go for a contrasty mono conversion. Either way you certainly want to boost the mids and highlights a bit to give the shot some more punch.

It's a little bit different but kind of similar...

But, when I first started shooting events a year ago I was so similar to what you said before - you were just happy to get something.

My advice would be to get better at critiquing your own images. Know whats wrong before anyone else tells you so you don't need to wait for those "argh ha" moments. Above all, when you get to that point of being comfortable with your work, trust your own judgement.

As has been said above these shots are a bit something and nothing.

A 50mm 1.8 on a 60D is a little long for they type of venue you seem to be shooting in at present. Although the 1.8 is always going to help. I shoot 35mm on full frame when lighting is bad, although I have a 24-70 f2.8 as my main lens unless shooting festivals or large arena shows. A 17-55 f2.8 would help you possibly, but you need to work on capturing the moment more than gear at the minute.

The lighting, it is unfortunately something you can do nothing about. B&W is one thing you can do, but if you submit to publications, blogs, etc. they will want colour, especially as you get to the bigger ones. Sometimes you have to accept that there is nothing you can do with lighting.

Just practise, look for more interesting moments and look at the best photographers in the genre of music you are shooing for inspiration. My honest top tip is to shoot in manual. Learn how to do it and it will always work best in this type of situation due to the way a camera meter works.

Don't get down about it, just get back out and shoot some more!

Back