Gigrin Farm Lens Choice?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
My first post here, so hello all...

I am making the trip to Gigrin farm for the red kite feeding this coming Thursday, and have a place booked in the 'Big Tower' hide.

Not having been before, I'm not too sure of the best size of lens to use. I'm lucky enough to own a 600mm f4, as well as a 200-400mm f4, along with a 1.4 and a 1.7 teleconverter.

These are both big heavy lenses and I don't really fancy carting them both around with me! I had initially thought I would take the 600, but now am worried that this may be overkill if I'm that close to the birds.

Appreciate any advice from others who have been :)

The 200-400 should be fine and with TC available I can't see you would need more.
I have been with a 300 f4 and 1.4 TC and found it to give useable pics, a 400 would have been nice.
Your 200-400 with a 1.4 TC is going to give you nearly 600mm but with the flexibility of other options.

It's been a while since I've been but with a 100-400L on a 1DMK2 I struggled to get a decent sized image in the frame , even with the closest birds. I'd say opt for the 600mm and you should be fine. There can be a bewildering amount of birds in the air but the trick is to pick one out as they circle around and stay on it picking your distance as to when to take the shots.

It's only a short walk from the car park to the hides btw.

Last edited:
I was there recently with a 100-400 and although I agree it was difficult to get a decent shot of the birds higher in the sky it was quite adequate for the birds swooping down lower near the ground.
One advantage of the zoom is that it was easier to lock on to a bird using the shorter end and then zoom in.

I was there recently with a 100-400 and although I agree it was difficult to get a decent shot of the birds higher in the sky it was quite adequate for the birds swooping down lower near the ground.
One advantage of the zoom is that it was easier to lock on to a bird using the shorter end and then zoom in.

:plus1: additionally the zoom gives an option to capture some of the aerial displays with more than one bird and to also get some good shots when the birds are very close to the hide, (occasionally they get very close!). The last time I was there a tog with a 600mm was struggling to get many good shots due to the narrow fov, however the 'closeups' he did get were very good.

I guess it much depends on what sort of shots you want to acheive and how 'agile' you are with the 600mm.

I took both of those lenses with me last time I went...

Thanks for all the responses, this has been very helpful, I think I will take both lenses and hopefully have the best of both worlds :)

Thanks for all the responses, this has been very helpful, I think I will take both lenses and hopefully have the best of both worlds :)

I don't think you will regret that, remember that they will come back to feed time and again so don't rush off when they appear to go, there will be plenty of opportunity to use both lenses. It's a great venue.

Good choice taking both. Its only a short walk to the hides.

I take two cameras one with 500mm F4 the other with 300mm 2.8 and I find I use the 500mm most of time. The 300mm is usefull for the odd airial flutter and close ground shots.

Hope the weather holds for you and you will have a grey time. Not mentioned much but its also good for buzzard shots ;)

I went with my 500 and my 300. I used both to be honest. my 500 gave almost full frame shot, the 300 was easier to follow the kites with and then jsut crop in with PS.
enjoy

Back