Gimbal Advice Sought

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Happy New Year All,

I have been thinking about getting my first Gimbal, but the amount in the marketplace is a little overwhelming to say the least. I’m split between getting one for my phone and camera’s or one that will accommodate both.

I have a Sony a7r3 and primes Sigma 24mm, 35mm Art Lenses, Sony 55mm, 85mm and the 90mm Macro and Fuji XT-1 and Xpro2 with 16mm, 23mm, 18-55mm and 55-200mm. My phone is the Oppo Find x2 Pro.

I know nothing about Gimbals but would like to use one to expand my photography and get me into a little videography.

All advice and reasons would be gratefully appreciated and received.

Cheers

Andy

If you are just starting with video I would dodge getting one. Use a tripod, lean against an object or stabilise in post.
They are quite a commitment to carry, set up and use in practice.

I can only suggest the one I'm using. That is the DJI Ronin SC. I'm really pleased with it and it makes a big difference to the stability of the footage.

If you're looking for this gimbal there's one in the classifieds.

When I thought about one for the phone my research pointed towards the DJi Mobile 3. I gather this has been replaced with the DJi Mobile 4. I never got one as my phone battery isn't great so adding doing video too would mean it would probably last about 10 mins when out and about!

This thread may be better in talk video rather than talk equipment. You may get more responses in there.

@rob-nikon thanks for the heads up.

@Cobra could you move this thread to talk video please.

What sort of footage do you need to get? Gimbals have a place but not always the best choice as above. I have some customers who specifically don’t want that type of look. FWIW I use zhiyun crane 2 and very happy with that when I need a gimbal.

Hey OP I'm in a similar position myself totally new to video but enjoying learning. I'd considered a gimbal for a while and lens combos I have just always seemed like they'd be too much for the SC (which I read can take 2kg payload) and the Ronin S looked too large/heavy - So the goldilocks gimbal I went with was the RSC2 pro combo suitable for upto 3kg. It was more than I had expected to pay but ticked every box I actually wanted.

I've used it for one session - a car valeting promo video shot over a period of about 4 hours with regular breaks/pauses in filming. I mainly just shot with the a7III and 50 1.8.

It arrived the day before I intended to use it and setting it up was a little tricky having never used one before. (Arrived Tuesday filmed Wednesday)

I think it was really useful and will hopefully continue to be. I'm yet to test it with other lenses and the focus motor stuff but have another project I want to work on so I'll do it then, one which I can take more time with too.

After all the filming my back and forearms really felt it, probably mostly down to technique and stuff but yeah - it's heavy even with the lightest lens I could use.

As someone mentioned before the set up and balancing thing did take a little bit of time to get right, I was working with the raveneye to my phone too so 3 cables app/wifi setup does take some time, I'm sure I'll get faster at it though.

Last edited:
I have a Sony a7r3 and primes Sigma 24mm, 35mm Art Lenses, Sony 55mm, 85mm and the 90mm Macro and Fuji XT-1 and Xpro2 with 16mm, 23mm, 18-55mm and 55-200mm. My phone is the Oppo Find x2 Pro.

These will be fine on either DJI Ronin RSC2 or Weebill-S (which is what I currently have as RSC2 wasn't out when I bought it). Both are fine and have differences. RSC2 has got longer handle and is built tougher but comes with integrated battery,,,, Both have all axis locks for quick balancing. Note: avoid older models if you have little experience and don't fancy spending ages with balancing.

If you plan to go bigger it is between DJI RS2 and Crane 2...

P.S. You have to slow down everything including yourself to ridiculous levels to get smooth yet sharp cinematic footage. 24p really sucks.

here's a leftfield idea, get yourself a dpi pocket 2. I got one a couple of weeks ago and I can't believe how good it is for 90% of what I need. My biggest hinderance was getting my head round how something so small good be so good. Once I got over that, I have been really pleased with the results.

Last edited:
Back