Gimbal Help

Name
George.
Edit My Images
No
I posted very similar to this on the "Mobile Photography Thread" but unfortunately no replies so I thought I'd try on this thread to see if anyone can help.

After seeing video work by @garryknight I’ve become really interested in shooting video on my iPhone, so much so that I have invested in two higher end apps “Pro cam 7” which I’ve already posted about elsewhere and “Filmic Pro” which I’ve only just started trying out. I’ve also installed “Limafusion” on my iPhone & iPad Pro 12.9 for editing which is extremely good. I've also got a MacBook pro for editing if I should later feel the need for a more advanced editing program such as "Final Cut" at a later date.

The next step I’m considering is investing in a “Gimbal” for a "Cell Phone", having seen many videos of them in use and feel they would help me take my video shooting to the next level (I'm a rank beginner with regards to shooting video). Just wondered if anyone has one or has used one, and if so what model and your opinions on it/them.

Although I obviously have access to more advanced hardware for shooting video, at this early stage I want to concentrate on working with my iPhone and later as I hopefully progress start using my Fuji & Sony cameras.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

George.

Last edited:
I was thinking of one myself for short clips a while back. My research lead me to the DJI osmo mobile 3. I’d have a look at what some you tubers use.

Thanks Rob, I've watched many You Tubers as you suggest and the two that I have at the moment short listed are the "Benro something Lite" and top of the list is the "DJI Osmo Mobile 3".

My main reason for the DJI at the moment being my fav' is that apparently you can use different software with it such as "Filmic Pro" which I can't find out if the Benro will allow you to do that. And the other reason is the DJI allows you to shoot at 24 or 25 FPS (with its own software) which apparently is the suggested frame rate for the UK where as the Benro will only allow 30 or 60 FPS (with its own software). Which is just fine for me when I'm back home in the USA but not so good for the UK.

George.

I have only used the DJI Osmo mobile 2, used it for timelapse, straight video and the speeded up video (can't remember the name now).
I found it very good indeed, easy to setup and use and it has a good battery life, worked fine for my limited needs :)

I have only used the DJI Osmo mobile 2, used it for timelapse, straight video and the speeded up video (can't remember the name now).
I found it very good indeed, easy to setup and use and it has a good battery life, worked fine for my limited needs :)

Thanks for that @gramps its beginning to look like the DJI should be the way to go.

George.

DJI Osmo mobile all the way, best out there.

Thank you kindly Nick, I sure do appreciate your reply.

“I’ve ordered one and I’m picking it up this morning”

G.K.Jnr.

What mobile phone is everyone using with their osmo?

I was looking at the DJI Osmo Mobile 3. Looked good so I pulled the trigger and bought it via Amazon. That same day, I did some more research that suggested that the iPhone 11 Pro:

1. was on the very limit of weight for the gimbal and led to poor gimbal performance

2. UWA lens on the camera captured some of the gimbal housing. Repositioning the phone meant the motors had to work harder and would overheat.

I ended up cancelling my order and am unsure where to go from here. I was messing around videoing me cooking a simple recipe and decided a gimbal would have made life easier. So not for anything other than personal use. The OM3 came with a tripod stand as well. At only £100, it would have been an impulse buy.

What mobile phone is everyone using with their osmo?

I was looking at the DJI Osmo Mobile 3. Looked good so I pulled the trigger and bought it via Amazon. That same day, I did some more research that suggested that the iPhone 11 Pro:

1. was on the very limit of weight for the gimbal and led to poor gimbal performance

2. UWA lens on the camera captured some of the gimbal housing. Repositioning the phone meant the motors had to work harder and would overheat.

I ended up cancelling my order and am unsure where to go from here. I was messing around videoing me cooking a simple recipe and decided a gimbal would have made life easier. So not for anything other than personal use. The OM3 came with a tripod stand as well. At only £100, it would have been an impulse buy.

I have recently purchased the "DJI Osmo 3" and use it with my "iPhone 7 Plus" and its excellent once you learn how to control it and all the sequence of button/trigger pushes. I'm currently waiting for the new "iPhone 12" to be released around the fall and will upgrade then.

As for the operating weight the figures are a guide and the Osmo will work very well if the weight is a bit over the recommended provided it is balanced.

Another gimbal that I'd seriously considered was the "Benro" which does pretty much the same as the Osmo (and less expensive) and will take a heavier phone. You can also plug in an external microphone via the grip with the Benro whereas you can't with the Osmo. The only reason I settled for the Osmo was that the software is apparently marginally better. I'm honestly not so sure I made the right choice though.

George.

Well they have just filmed that new ITV 4 part drama on dji osmo mobile 2 or 3's. With Samsung phones. Will be interesting to see the quality of it all this week

It's called isolation stories, starts 9pm tonight. Seems they are only 15 mins long. But they are on every night. They are also doing a behind the scenes on his they did it all.

Thanks for the heads up.

I have only just seen this post so I missed last nights episode, but I’ll try and get it on “play it again Sam” or whatever you call it.

George.

I'm not a movie buff, but even I know it's called "Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake." Of course, as time goes by, we learn to call it ITV Hub. ;)

:film:

Ah but you see I’ve lived a very sheltered life,;) but I’m sure most people just say “Play it again Sam” although I dare say you could be perfectly correct.

I missed it too. Ill probably only end up watching the behind the scenes one. On a side note just ordered a dji osmo mobile 2 to have a play whilst im sat at home bored :D:D:D

I missed it too. Ill probably only end up watching the behind the scenes one. On a side note just ordered a dji osmo mobile 2 to have a play whilst im sat at home bored :D:D:D

I've just watched it on my iPad and the actual content of the broadcast didn't do much for me. I'd like to see the behind the scenes thing though (if you could let me know how to get it) as the sound & picture quality seemed more than acceptable to me.

"What made you go for the "DJI Osmo 2" as apposed to the later "DJI Osmo 3" ?

George.

I've just watched it on my iPad and the actual content of the broadcast didn't do much for me. I'd like to see the behind the scenes thing though (if you could let me know how to get it) as the sound & picture quality seemed more than acceptable to me.

"What made you go for the "DJI Osmo 2" as apposed to the later "DJI Osmo 3" ?

George.

Price, as I only brought it as to try something different as i dont think lockdown will finish anytime soon.

I posted very similar to this on the "Mobile Photography Thread" but unfortunately no replies so I thought I'd try on this thread to see if anyone can help.

After seeing video work by @garryknight I’ve become really interested in shooting video on my iPhone, so much so that I have invested in two higher end apps “Pro cam 7” which I’ve already posted about elsewhere and “Filmic Pro” which I’ve only just started trying out. I’ve also installed “Limafusion” on my iPhone & iPad Pro 12.9 for editing which is extremely good. I've also got a MacBook pro for editing if I should later feel the need for a more advanced editing program such as "Final Cut" at a later date.

The next step I’m considering is investing in a “Gimbal” for a "Cell Phone", having seen many videos of them in use and feel they would help me take my video shooting to the next level (I'm a rank beginner with regards to shooting video). Just wondered if anyone has one or has used one, and if so what model and your opinions on it/them.

Although I obviously have access to more advanced hardware for shooting video, at this early stage I want to concentrate on working with my iPhone and later as I hopefully progress start using my Fuji & Sony cameras.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

George.
DJI Osmo mobile 3 is the best for me.

Back