Gitzo replacement

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Potentially looking to move to something a little more practical to use than my Gitzo GT5543XLS which is big and not that comfortable to take on lengthy walks / hikes.
I thinking something along the lines of Manfrotto Carbon series or something similar, maybe a 3 legged thing.
Any other suggestions? I had a Benro prior to the Gitzo which was sturdy but wasn't that impressed with the build quality.
Bearing in mind i do a lot of beach photography so it'll need to stand up to the elements.

Suggestions appreciated!

Cheers

Good morning, Neil!

The described model you actually have is among the beefiest tripods
ever made. A 43 mm ∅ top segment is some serious dimension.

Looking for the same quality but in series 4 or even 3 could satisfy your
needs. They would come with the same features and quality though be-
ing of less beefy top segment size.

Personally, I only use series 5 tripods (x4) three segment legs but I don't
hike with the gear. :cool:

The number of segments will influence the end length of the closed tripod.
The 6 segments will be shorter but not lighter and the ever smaller segment
means some compromise in terms of stability and this applies to ALL tripods.

The ultimate stability is in three segments beefy legs. The ultimate transpor-
tability is 6 segments (way less beefy legs). All tripods fall between these two
ends of the spectrum… position your next tripod somewhere in between and
find the point where you are willing to compromise.

Last edited:
Morning Neil - I use a large Benro and have for a few years. I bought it originally for my 500mm F4 and it is big and sturdy.

I mainly take that tripod with me these days and mostly leave the smaller Feisol at home. I regret taking the smaller tripod most times as always find myself needing more height or stability. So - I would stick with the big tripod if it was me :)

If you are set on a smaller / lighter tripod then I saw the following video a while ago and suggested the same to a couple of mates who were just getting back into photography.

They have not had any issues - but don't use heavily or at the coast much.

You may be as well looking at smaller Gitzos if you are really worried about the saltwater.

View: https://youtu.be/RAkfp3UpZNc

Last edited:
Bearing in mind i do a lot of beach photography so it'll need to stand up to the elements.
Size up the Benbo range. The leg construction is reversed so it's harder for water or sand to get inside. The bent bolt design also makes the thing much more stable on rough terrain. I've used the standard and the Uni-loc variant for years as well as the Benbo Monopod. They're not as light as some other types but for me the advantages outweigh :exit: that.

I had a 3LT (The travel one - Vyv I think) which is going on ebay soon because it's bad. Screws need tightening, and the whole thing feels flimsy. Also had a student on one of my courses with a 3LT that literally fell to pieces in front of me. I was stunned. I'd never recommend them.

Similar to Dave, I now just take the biggie (in my case an FLM CP30-XL) because of the sturdiness, and the height. My back thanks me for not having to constantly bend. It weighs in at 1.9kg but will go up to 2.1m. It straps onto the side of my pack quite nicely. In terms of comfort on long hikes, I got more mileage by using a proper mountaineering backpack with an insert rather than a photo bag. These days I can hike with 2 bodies, 2-3 lenses, the tripod (+head), water and lunch without a problem. Tripod straps on the side, and a kneeling pad slots into the helmet carrier for even more comfort.

I use a Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 which weighs 500g more than the carbon fibre version. The build quality is fine and it's sturdy. It's a little weighty for long hikes but once strapped to my backpack is bearable. I just looked at the weight of your Gitzo... ouch! The Manfrotto CF would save you over 1 Kg, which I think would be quite noticable.

I don't know what your budget is, but Sirui do a waterproofed carbon fibre tripod, so one of those might be worth thinking of? However, I'd make sure I wiped any sand and grit off the legs each time before closing the tripod up though, as I imagine that getting sand in the leg joints would be the best way to see a tripod off when using it for beach work. As with anything, research any reviews before buying.

Similar to Dave, I now just take the biggie (in my case an FLM CP30-XL) because of the sturdiness, and the height. My back thanks me for not having to constantly bend. It weighs in at 1.9kg but will go up to 2.1m. It straps onto the side of my pack quite nicely. In terms of comfort on long hikes, I got more mileage by using a proper mountaineering backpack with an insert rather than a photo bag. These days I can hike with 2 bodies, 2-3 lenses, the tripod (+head), water and lunch without a problem. Tripod straps on the side, and a kneeling pad slots into the helmet carrier for even more comfort.

As above, FLM are well worth looking at, wonder if anyone one here apart from Ian and myself uses their gear

I use a Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 which weighs 500g more than the carbon fibre version. The build quality is fine and it's sturdy. It's a little weighty for long hikes but once strapped to my backpack is bearable. I just looked at the weight of your Gitzo... ouch! The Manfrotto CF would save you over 1 Kg, which I think would be quite noticable.

I have one of these and its rather weighty, mine lives in the car boot for occasional use with an Arca Swiss Z1 attached, wouldn't want to wander far with it

Thanks all,. appreciate your comments.
I'll give it a bit more thought....may well look at the Gitzo 3 or 4 series too.

I'm using a 3 series Systematic extra long - it's a bit heavy for hiking, but just about manageable for an hour or two's walk. I was after an LS really, but the XLS came up at too good a price to turn down. Also have the levelling base which is useful but it does add to the weight. The 3 series LS would be about right I think

Last edited:
I don't know what your budget is, but Sirui do a waterproofed carbon fibre tripod, so one of those might be worth thinking of? However, I'd make sure I wiped any sand and grit off the legs each time before closing the tripod up though, as I imagine that getting sand in the leg joints would be the best way to see a tripod off when using it for beach work. As with anything, research any reviews before buying.

Agreed, Sirui well worth looking at. Quality appears spot on. not the cheapest, ..
Mine came with tools to tighten up joints which worked loose after first few uses.
Very pleased overall

I know Richie @RichieTee has the new Benro (Not sure of the model) and the geared head, and its a lovely tripod. Looks very sturdy and well made and the geared head is half the weight of the Manfrotto 410. If I was looking for a new tripod then that would definitely be my choice.

I know Richie @RichieTee has the new Benro (Not sure of the model) and the geared head, and its a lovely tripod. Looks very sturdy and well made and the geared head is half the weight of the Manfrotto 410. If I was looking for a new tripod then that would definitely be my choice.

Tried the benro geared head at the Photography Show and it's what I'd go for if I was in the market for one

Tried the benro geared head at the Photography Show and it's what I'd go for if I was in the market for one
I did exactly the same. It felt really good and light to hand although the price may be an issue, think it was £200. You even get a nice bag for the Benro tripod which you don't get with the Gitzo, so an extra point for that.

Back