Gitzo tripod legs slipping

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I cleaned my tripod a couple of weeks ago, gitzo 5531s cf. It’s had heavy use in the last week in outer hebrides and skye. I’ve noticed that the legs are now prone to slipping. Even when i think its tight it might need an extra tighten after the leg slipped to the point where loosening seems difficult.

Does this sound as though it’s simply time for replacement bushings or something else?

The fibre bushings do get thinner over time and a new set should see you restore the locks to 'as new condition'.

The fibre bushings do get thinner over time and a new set should see you restore the locks to 'as new condition'.

:agree: … though, before, I would try to clear all contact surfaces
as, with time, hands may leave dry sweat and fat that build up.

The more modern Gitzos use nylon bushings (called "hose clamps" for some reason) and clamping collars ("cone collets")... you can get them from GitzoSpares.com. But I kind of doubt you need to replace them as they are much more durable than the older fiber ones were..

Did you put something on the legs when cleaning them? If not, my best guess is things were not reassembled exactly as they came apart and the collets need to reseat (wear in)... it might take a bit more force than it used to for a while. But as long as they will lock down firmly, I don't think there's a real problem. If you are turning the locking collars so far that the threads are jamming up at the end of travel, then I would definitely get new collets. Not particularly cheap though at ~ £6 ea (+VAT & SH). The bushings (hose clamps) do a different job (alignment/shimming) and don't have anything to do with the locking.

Last edited:
When I used a carbon seatpost on my bike I had some stuff to put on it to prevent slipping.
It was called Finish Line Fiber Grip and it certainly helped, if all else fails maybe give it a go

Ok thanks for the ideas, will strip down again and rebuild legs and see if i can resolve, if not then i’ll try the collets and/or fiber grip

Back