Giving Up Smoking

Well in just over an hour I will be into my 4th day of no smoking

Superb Keith.

Has it dawned on you yet that you aren't a smoker anymore? That's quite a cool moment. :)

well done, keep at it, it just keeps getting easier now :)

Brilliant news mate. I'm ten years free myself. The best advice i can give is to exercise so you get plenty of endorphins flowing and learn to cook good healthy foods.

Well in just over an hour I will be into my 4th day of no smoking

Well done Keith (y), life does get easier, over 3 years now for me

Well done, it gets easier every day! :)
I gave up 5 or 6 years ago now and although I put on a bit of weight I have it under control, feel healthier and I'm definitely not missing spending out lots of hard earned cash on little sticks of smelly smoke!!!!!

Keep going!!!!! (y)

I've been smoking for the best part of 40 years now. Gave up several times, but always started again. The last time I stopped, I lasted 4 weeks but the cravings (psychological?) were worse at that point than during the first few days.

Got it down to about 4 - 6/day now, and I managed a couple of 12 hour flights without too much strain recently, but I just can't bring myself to stop completely. I've convinced myself that I enjoy smoking and resent the idea of giving up completely, so this is something I have to get past.

My wife & i both stopped about 18 months ago & we were both heavy smokers,it does get easier.
Our house does not smell now & you can smell it off other people now,we used to smell like that,yuk.
No patches or gum we just went for it when one night we had 1 cig left in the house.
Now i am back into cycling & i just feel so much better,it really is worth sticking with it.:)(y):clap:

Many thanks everyone.

Your words of encouragement have really meant a lot and have helped keep me going

Buy this book and read it.

It worked on me and has worked on many of my friends.

Good luck!

By the way, you do not give up smoking, you STOP smoking. One implies you are making a sacrifice and "giving up" something that is good, the other puts you in charge and you have decided to do something positive.

You saved me recommending that book.
It's how I quit 7 years ago. I still gag at the thought of a cig right now.
Not many who just go cold turkey can say that they don't miss it one bit.

Keith that's brilliant! I hope you are making a big deal of telling everyone you
meet that your a non smoker. You deserve heaps of fuss and attention for a damn fine job.

Eleven :)

Do you feel different yet, has it kicked in?

Best of luck Keith

A story from a few years ago: When I returned to the office from a fag break and went to speak to a non-smoking colleague, he would recoil and I just though that he was a typical anti smoker. A week after I gave up, another colleague returned from a fag break and came to talk to me......................I recoiled. I hadn't realised how much I stank! :puke: Also, within a couple of weeks, my breathing improved ten fold.

I also went the cold turkey route (although I was ill at the time and couldn't have taken a drag for the fist couple of days anyway) and I haven't wanted for a cigarette since and that was over 5 years ago after smoking 20-30 a day for 25 years. If you really want it, you will succeed.

I remember being told this story. Makes me think twice about starting :)

Eleven :)

Do you feel different yet, has it kicked in?

Yup sure do.

Was in the Edinburgh office the other day when someone walked in and I imediatly knew thye were a smoker.... because of the smell

I asked a collegue if that was how I used to smell, yes thye said :thumbsdown:

I was 20-40 a day for years until my wife fell pregnant with our first some 10ish years ago, we both gave up there and then and havn't looked back... I was surprised how easy we found it, I think its because we full on decided to do it no pressure from advertising/family/friends etc.. I think you will defo have some hard times but keep looking back to what made you come to the decision in the 1st place and you will sail through it.

best of luck.(y)

keep it up
Well after 40-60 cigarettes a day for over 25 years I am finally giving up smoking.

I am not using any substitutes, I am doing it "cold turkey"

I would appreciate any encouragement & support you kind girls & guys of TP can give me.

Maybe I should write a diary blog on my quest to kick the weed?

That's great news Keith, here's to the next month, next year, next decade. (y)

No pressure though. :D

Well done Keith (y) It gives me encouragement reading this thread as me and SWMBO are on Champix now and WILL be giving up the weed next week :D

I gave up smoking many years ago and was smoking about 30 a day for many years.
I also went cold turkey and it took about 3 years to get it out of my system. The thing to watch out for is having false thoughts about having given it up, all the time your thinking about it it is still in your system. The worst times are after a meal or doing physical work and you stop and think I must have a smoke. Yes you do tend to put on weight if your not careful but the benefits of having stopped far outweigh the smoking habit.

What I would say is stick at it ( hard I know ) and you will succeed even food taste better. You will find after a time that anyone who smokes around you annoys more than ever before

Apart from that I saw both my parents pass away from the big C and I swear it was due to my father who was a heavy smoker and my mother a second inhaler having lived in a smoking environment.

If anyone is considering giving smoking up and having difficulty then take a trip around any hospice and see the results from smoking. You will stop straight away.

Keith good for you with the non smoking effort
Realspeed

Last edited:
Well done Keith.
Now if you could put by the money you would have spent on fags each week into a separate saving account of some sort if left alone it will suprisingly add up, for new kit, holiday or whatever, and when you decide to use some of that money you will be giving yourself a big pat on the back for giving up and feel great.

Well done.

I always think there are three types regarding smoking :

Non-smokers - they can't understand what all the fuss is about

Smokers - poor, unhealthy beasts

Ex-smokers - richer than the smokers, but wish they were non-smokers

So - I always found (every time I have given up, lol) that the best feeling is when someone offers you a cigarette, and you don't say "no thanks - I've given up." - instead you say:

"No thanks, I don't smoke."

Back